Liam McBean | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Liam McBean

Big Country

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 1, 2011
Re: Welcome Liam McBean at pick 33

Jexy said:
Matty Lloyd said he was the smartest ruckman in the draft on 3AW. Not sure if it means much, but I think he coached him at the AIS, so he might know.

Everyone is smart compared to Lloyd.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

SCOOP said:
Needs to be forgot about for the next four years.

Long term. Nothing wrong with him as a prospect but I wouldn't have gone down this path at this pick.

Does have neat skills for a big.

Same, another forward (membry), do they watch the games? Beside riewolt who else kicks our goals, Nahas??
Shattered

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008

zippadeee said:
Same, another forward (membry), do they watch the games? Beside riewolt who else kicks our goals, Nahas??
Shattered

I suspect that after his season in defence last year getting some much needed game time (even when there was not a suitable match-up), and with the recruiting of Chaplin, Griffiths will be used as a goal-kicking target up forward in 2013.

Magic Maric

Tiger Rookie
Aug 4, 2012
Tasmania

Glad we picked up a ruckman seeing as we didn't draft Grundy.

He has time to develop while Ivan and Vickery are playing.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Fast forward to 2016, then you might see him on the G.
I've seen fatter lamp posts

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005

Looking at his stats he gets the ball a lot for a 203cm kid, and has kicked a few goals. Not really a ruckman at this stage

Maxwell

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 23, 2003
Melbourne

Ty Esler said:
Looking at his stats he gets the ball a lot for a 203cm kid, and has kicked a few goals. Not really a ruckman at this stage

Unfortunately not that many tap outs

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006

Baloo said:
Griffo on one wing, Jelly on the other.

We're redefining the AFL

I like it - Jelly and redefining the game. It does seem to me like we are placing a premium on versatility, which has gotta be a good thing. I am rapt we got Jelly McBean. Even though he might not be a ruckman yet, hes tall enough and I love having a collection of ruckmen.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005

Jexy said:
Matty Lloyd said he was the smartest ruckman in the draft on 3AW. Not sure if it means much, but I think he coached him at the AIS, so he might know.
Heard he was also highly rated at AIS two years ago (not from Lloyd) and very good below his knees - couldn't say that about Putty.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

Watched this kids hilgihts on the RFC site.

He is very agile for such a big bloke, and a really effective kick.

Looks good, but body is a worry. Skinny isn't the word.

Hope he can add some bones.

FWIW, reckon we have a tall KPD in this kid, not a true ruck.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

Streak said:

A second ruck perhaps but you're pretty much on the money.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Streak said:
Watched this kids hilgihts on the RFC site.

He is very agile for such a big bloke, and a really effective kick.

Looks good, but body is a worry. Skinny isn't the word.

Hope he can add some bones.

His frame is quite good actually. Just needs to add some quads and triceps in order to beef up.
999779-liam-mcbean.jpg

Feb 25, 2007

South Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy is considered the best big man in this year's crop, but Kevin Sheehan has also nominated Calder Cannons ruckman Liam McBean.
McBean, more than 200cm tall but lightly framed, played mainly as a key defender for Vic Metro at this year's NAB AFL Under-18 championships.

"His agility for a 203cm [player] is rare, which allows him to win ground balls to complement his overhead marking," Sheehan said

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

AstuteTiger said:
South Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy is considered the best big man in this year's crop, but Kevin Sheehan has also nominated Calder Cannons ruckman Liam McBean.
McBean, more than 200cm tall but lightly framed, played mainly as a key defender for Vic Metro at this year's NAB AFL Under-18 championships.

"His agility for a 203cm [player] is rare, which allows him to win ground balls to complement his overhead marking," Sheehan said

The author forgot to mention that McBean is Sheehan's token AIS ruckman, or should I say prospective ruckman.

IrockZ

Tiger Champion
Jul 18, 2007

Barnzy said:
Seems a similar type to what Dean Putt was.

203cm super athletic utility who can play back but not a true ruck. Let's hope he has more aggression than Putt.

I worry these types struggle to succeed at AFL level.

Reading through page 2 this is exactly what I was going to write, very Putt-like, with the Cannons uniform aswell.

Hope he has a bit more go in him and can develop his body a bit more.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Going to take a while for the kid to scrounge a kilo or two of bulk, probably similar to young Cordy from the Doggies.
New ruck rules means the old behemoths will follow the dinosaurs.
Tall mobile spring heeled ruckmen who can tip off like basketballers then actually play footy are back in vogue.

Opulentus Tigris

Tiger Superstar
Dec 8, 2007
Wodonga

Putt could put on any muscle because TW didn't know what a dumbbell looked like. Our footy department will bulk him up inside of 2 years.