Liam McBean | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Liam McBean

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
tigersnake said:
As usual lamb iskander, you are never ever wrong. Not even a smidge. Despite overwhelming and irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

If you concentrated less on identity posting and just enjoyed the exchange of ideas you might enjoy yourself more.

I know I would.

Cheers Snakey.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Leysy Days said:
To be fair - so many of our footballers that were on the scrapheap and lambasted on our boards also improved out of sight this year.

Would Beanie have been one of them - probs not. But he has the VFL form to say he did have some talent.

I don't think a single poster thought that he didn't have some talent. I was a big backer. But I'll back the 'probs not' part of this post every day of the week.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
tigersnake said:
I don't think a single poster thought that he didn't have some talent. I was a big backer. But I'll back the 'probs not' part of this post every day of the week.

Reasonable post, but he had enough talent, Snake.

Didn't want the AFL life.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Baron Samedi said:

Seems more like the AFL life didnt want him.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Leysy Days said:
To be fair - so many of our footballers that were on the scrapheap and lambasted on our boards also improved out of sight this year.

Would Beanie have been one of them - probs not. But he has the VFL form to say he did have some talent.

Ben Lennon says hello. They don't all improve.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Tigers of Old said:
Ben Lennon says hello. They don't all improve.

Ben and Liam where best mates at the club, no wonder they had the same frenetic desire.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Leysy Days said:

Sometimes the sum total of difference is simply effort n obeying match instructions.

Unfortunately for a lot of " talented " young footballers they neither put in the absolute effort or follow the team playing requirements to succeed at elite level. Plenty of blokes at Tigerland with perhaps less pure talent than a Beanie or Lennon strolling around with premiership medallions. Not sure they all improved out of sight but they put in maximum effort to assist wherever possible.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Agreed.

Castagna, Townser, Lambert, Broad, K Mac, Grimes are not silky players, all had a role and all did their roles to the letter.

Thats why we won the Grand Final, we fielded a team of goers who did their jobs nothing more and played team footy and played for each other thats why we won.

The great Lions triple title side want blessed with silk apart from Akker, Lappin, Black, White, McCrae, and Johnston etc they were a hard side with toughness and presence, they were not pretty they just steam rolled the opposition.

The Scotts, Crazy Vossy, Brownie, Mal Michael, Leppitsch, Alistair Lynch, Clark Keating, Pike, Headland, Hart, Ashcroft, Bradshaw, Copeland, all workers.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
caesar said:
Ben and Liam where best mates at the club, no wonder they had the same frenetic desire.

:hihi

Both didnt have the work ethic or the drive to take the final step from an outsiders perspective.

McJesus never looked like a guy trying to play his way out of the VFL side he always looked in cruise mode every time i saw him.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Baron Samedi said:

I’d back this in.
Same as cleve Hughes and bling ...even Rory Hilton amongst others.
talent galore but nothing kills something you enjoy faster than doing it for money or for too long.
I know people on Gold Coast love theme parks until they get a job there.

Another thing with players like McBean... they don’t get the really big $$$ Like dusty so end on a normal wage and it IS LOTS of work and commitment if you’re not on 6 figures.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
craig said:
The great Lions triple title side want blessed with silk apart from Akker, Lappin, Black, White, McCrae, and Johnston etc they were a hard side with toughness and presence, they were not pretty they just steam rolled the opposition.

The Scotts, Crazy Vossy, Brownie, Mal Michael, Leppitsch, Alistair Lynch, Clark Keating, Pike, Headland, Hart, Ashcroft, Bradshaw, Copeland, all workers.
Seriously? Can I please have a snifter off whatever it is you've been sampling.
No club makes four Grand Finals in a row without having a massive supply of premium quality. The quality needs to be backed up by the work ethic, but geez. There's simply no way known anyone would classify Vossy, Brown, Lynch, Pike, Ashcroft, Michael, Leppa as workers, they had premium quality all over the park n a double handful of good ordinary players to fill gaps with.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
lamb22 said:
Certainly not a pressure forward. Would have been interesting to see him in the Elton role in the seniors early this year.

Beanie came to the wrong club at the wrong time unfortunately for him. He had all his square edges shaved off. Probably got less Beanie each year. This year's philosophy in 2014 might have worked better for Liam.
Way too kind.

He may well have not wanted the AFL life but he also didn’t want another part to what it takes to be an AFL player and that’s hard work and physical contact. Big strapping guy who lurked around the packs.

Sometimes he had to get to contests or just create contests and he didn’t have the will to do it.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
McBean may have had some application flaws, but those are pretty hard to gauge from outside the club.

I think, like a number of our young attacking players (Brando, Conca, Flossy even Cotchy) he was also hampered by a restrictive and complicated game plan, as flossy said 'over coaching', and critically by the one size fits all approach where players weren't always encouraged to play to their strengths.

I remember commenting at the time that if I was teaching Beanie, I'd be going a little less stick, and a little more carrot, and considering our at the time non functional forward line, we should be finding a way to adjust our plan to maximise strengths rather than expose weaknesses.

In the end, that's actually what we did, just with different strengths. Hardwick's always maintained he prefers more talls in the forward line (Elton this year even), but this year we fortunately had the new level of adaptability to play to our strengths of high pressure smalls and one ruck with great success.

McBean may never have made it. But after reading the Konrad Marshall book, the clearest successes of this year appear to have been reversing the restrictive negativities of previous years. It's only logical that they would also have contributed to poorer development of some players.

Whether or not the new Ethos of 2017 would have been the difference is only ever going to be conjecture. But the fact that both nature and nurture contributed is evident.