Liam Ryan Subiaco | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Liam Ryan Subiaco

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I mentioned him last year, don't know why he wasn't at least picked up as a rookie. He kicked 68 goals this season to win the goal kicking, after kicking 51 goals last year in his first year of senior footy.
Someone will pick him up this year, if he can handle the demands of the AFL he will be a star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_04lpjydf4

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Was discussed heavily in the state league thread, the problem of course was that he ran a 9 beep test which is the worst ever recorded by an aspiring AFL player. Unless he's dramatically improved there's no way he'll get a shot.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
bullus_hit said:
Was discussed heavily in the state league thread, the problem of course was that he ran a 9 beep test which is the worst ever recorded by an aspiring AFL player. Unless he's dramatically improved there's no way he'll get a shot.

Cheers bully, he doesn't need to be able to run, because he can fly ;)

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:

Wish i could get to 9 on a beep test :-\

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
tigerman said:
Cheers bully, he doesn't need to be able to run, because he can fly ;)

He has an amazing highlights reel, up there with Jeremy Howe for aerial ability. But the question is what's his opponent doing when Liam doesn't have the ball? Reckon any AFL coach would put an athletic rebounder on him and it would be as good as a loose man in defence. An 11 beep is about the lowest base to work with, Betts & Toby McClean have shown it's possible to lift that to AFL standard but even taking these success stories into account, the odds are remote.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
tigerman said:
I mentioned him last year, don't know why he wasn't at least picked up as a rookie. He kicked 68 goals this season to win the goal kicking, after kicking 51 goals last year in his first year of senior footy.
Someone will pick him up this year, if he can handle the demands of the AFL he will be a star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_04lpjydf4
A lot of talk about him last year but no takes, won't be surprised if its the same this year.
The kid can play so there must be a reason not 1 club took a chance on him.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
bullus_hit said:
He has an amazing highlights reel, up there with Jeremy Howe for aerial ability. But the question is what's his opponent doing when Liam doesn't have the ball? Reckon any AFL coach would put an athletic rebounder on him and it would be as good as a loose man in defence. An 11 beep is about the lowest base to work with, Betts & Toby McClean have shown it's possible to lift that to AFL standard but even taking these success stories into account, the odds are remote.

His coach is Jarrad Schofield who is a premiership player with the Power, so i'd imagine he would be telling him what he needs to work on.
Even if he does turn out to be a bust, he'd have to be worth a punt as a rookie wouldn't he?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Does a bad beep test detract that much? cant a beep test result be improved on? from memory Dean Cox when he started was deplorable and could barely do a lap of the ground ( or something like that). I bet Ivan Soldo had a bad beep test 3 years ago ( not saying hes the bench mark just saying ....)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
https://thewest.com.au/sport/subiaco-coach-jarrad-schofield-urges-west-coast-to-recruit-high-flying-wafl-forward-liam-ryan-ng-b88590220z

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:
Does a bad beep test detract that much? cant a beep test result be improved on? from memory Dean Cox when he started was deplorable and could barely do a lap of the ground ( or something like that). I bet Ivan Soldo had a bad beep test 3 years ago ( not saying hes the bench mark just saying ....)

A 9 beep test is completely unacceptable, the maximum rate of improvement would be 2 levels, going from 11 to 13 is achievable but still requires a lot of work on the part of the player. Going from 9 to 13? Dunno, I have my doubts.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
bullus_hit said:
A 9 beep test is completely unacceptable, the maximum rate of improvement would be 2 levels, going from 11 to 13 is achievable but still requires a lot of work on the part of the player. Going from 9 to 13? Dunno, I have my doubts.
yeah, I understand what youre saying I just guess that "they" lower the bar if you're an exciting high marking forward eg Kayle Kirby

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:
yeah, I understand what youre saying I just guess that "they" lower the bar if you're an exciting high marking forward eg Kayle Kirby

Kirby was 11 so he scrapes in as far as the bare minimum is concerned. Clem Smith was another 11 and couldn't cut the mustard.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Big article about this guy on the website we can't discuss for those interested.

Tested well at state combine.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
tigertim said:

That's West Coast or Freo telling him to tank so he can stay in WA

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
AFL site says Ryan's yo-yo test was "respectable" at WA combine. And of course the sprint times and leap were off the charts. A monty to be on a list.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:

Smoke and Mirrors, Funny Buggers, Shenanigans whatever spin you want to put on it, I'm sure at least one of the Western clubs are in his ear and getting him to tank it up a bit.

Its a shame we dont seem to do the same when we have dibs on players.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So he tanked so well that he achieved a 9 beep test and the result was that he didnt get drafted?
Thats a good tank!

Nah This year he will be putting it all on show to maximise his chances with 18clubs.

The new standard is a fwd line chockers with ultra fast, ultra high pressure runners who contest all game.
A low beep or yoyo doesnt help.

FWIW i'll think he gets picked late, after 50.