Life membership debate | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Life membership debate

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I do see your points but your comment above doesn't happen in real life, RFC criteria is / was 150 games or 10 years, hardly a lifetime

Plenty of life members weren't players, or significant players, and contributed for much longer than a decade.

Suffice to say I don't agree with it, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Reactions: 2 users

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
I’m ambivalent,I agree with The Big Richo we probably should have left it the way it was.
But we didn’t, the Board proposed it & the Members voted it in.
This Administration has transformed the Place from the Butt of everybody’s joke,remember when Richmond was always pencilled in for 9th or in a desperate race for the No1 Draft pick.
Now the Fear & Loathing is back & I’m loving it,let’s cut our Admin a bit of slack & support the Members decision.
I’m more than happy to welcome half a dozen new Life Members each year as we put the Competition to the sword.
Let’s stay positive,.......ENJOY!!!

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
All past VFL players have

I just assumed this was the case, although I can't see the likes of Daryl Freame, Stephen Rae, Gareth Andrews on the list. I do see most (but not all) of the 1905 VFA team. No GF was played for the 1902 premiership, and many of the 29 names who played during the year are missing.

Maybe the list on the website simply hasn't been updated.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/club/history/life-members

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I just assumed this was the case, although I can't see the likes of Daryl Freame, Stephen Rae, Gareth Andrews on the list. I do see most (but not all) of the 1905 VFA team. No GF was played for the 1902 premiership, and many of the 29 names who played during the year are missing.

Maybe the list on the website simply hasn't been updated.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/club/history/life-members

The list isn't up to date, I noticed the other day that Michael Bowden isn't on it

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
interestingly it seems easier to become a life member of an AFL club (not just the Richmond premiership player thing) than local sporting clubs (well, those that i have been involved with) in terms of games played and duration of service, etc.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
To those who are whinging about the change to Life Membership, where were you when you had the right to vote it down? And the other changes pushed through by the Board?
If you voted against it feel free to debate. If you couldn't be stuffed or were ignorant you were advised on PRE by at least one poster of the consequence. The horse has bolted out the gate, been hit by a car, and is on the way to the glue factory. You are too late. Marlion Pickett as a one game player is a Life Member and you played your part in making it happen. The End.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
I guess it only matters if you think life memberships should mean something.

Yep, let's just keep slapping each other on the back and allowing every decision the club makes to pass without question and the success will inevitably keep falling from the sky.

Being successful on-field does not mean that every single decision a club makes is perfect. It is the duty of members to scrutinise and question every decision the board oversees, vigilance is a necessity of sustained success.

There are plenty of examples of sporting powerhouses who ended up in the doldrums because of poor decisions when they were on top and we are right at the top of the list.

The day we all start singing Everything is Awesome is the day we set ourselves on the road to Carlton.

The decision has been made though. They're not going to change they're minds and take the life memberships back. Its like complaining about free kicks.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
To those who are whinging about the change to Life Membership, where were you when you had the right to vote it down? And the other changes pushed through by the Board?
If you voted against it feel free to debate. If you couldn't be stuffed or were ignorant you were advised on PRE by at least one poster of the consequence. The horse has bolted out the gate, been hit by a car, and is on the way to the glue factory. You are too late. Marlion Pickett as a one game player is a Life Member and you played your part in making it happen. The End.
In fairness, clubs rely on supporter apathy to push their agendas through. The issue just wasn't one that drew enough passion and as Tooheys pointed out, it was introduced when we appeared to be further away from a flag than ever.

I am quite enjoying the debate and see the merits of both sides of the argument.

Reactions: 1 users

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
Came in looking for Marlion Pickett stuff in this thread, feel foolish now....

• Haha

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
If this is the biggest issue associated with us winning premierships ,

its Happy days

Reactions: 1 users