Life membership debate | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Life membership debate

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Francis Jackson, Ex Player and Recruiting Manager, (who is still on the recruiting team), also received Life Membership.

He was overseas so not there to receive it in person.

Well deserved presided over things in difficult times when Tige's had absolutely no budget and skeleton staff, was the man responsible for getting Riewoldt, Rance, Cotchin and Martin so after a couple of Premierships all is forgiven on a few recruiting misses along the way ;)

Met him at a draft function many years ago, a ripping bloke.

I think Jack was his favorite get.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I went to the draft night in 2006 and Jackson discussed Riewoldt and Reid (taken by Collingwood). He had a dig at the other Richmond officals there (had no idea who the faces were) about trading down to get Polak and making it harder to get Riewoldt. Predicted Collingwood would go either Riewoldt or Reid and the one left we would get at 13.

So a bit of luck there for us :D

Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I went to the draft night in 2006 and Jackson discussed Riewoldt and Reid (taken by Collingwood). He had a dig at the other Richmond officals there (had no idea who the faces were) about trading down to get Polak and making it harder to get Riewoldt. Predicted Collingwood would go either Riewoldt or Reid and the one left we would get at 13.

How different things could've been. ..... fox replayed 2011 pies v cats granny last night. ..... I forgot how *smile* house Reid was in that game. Anyone who gets torched by that super flopper Hawkins should be embarrassed!
Can't believe he's still on their list :nono

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

Its not an exact science that's for sure. Also firmly in the mix for us at 13 was Tom Hislop and Andrejs Everitt.! How the cards fall can make you a hero or a villain on draft night.

Frank also really liked Titch so would have been wrapt he was still there at 26.

A ripper bloke and very well deserved life membership

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Why are we debating about Marlion? Have a look at the real bitches in the Bummers who have Kingpin Jimmy Boy's dad blasting the club on making Puppet Evans a life member.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I'm guessing Bill James would be a posthumous life member as he achieved the same playing career as Marlion has so far.
Considering how hard it is for clubs to win a flag and how long it can often take to even get into contention. I don't have any issue whatsoever in a club honoring it's players with life membership for actually achieving what all the clubs in the comp are striving for.
Yes there will always be the outlier of a player who plays one or maybe only a handful of games for various reasons. But it's simply a matter of honoring the actual ultimate achievement within the game.
As a young bloke who grew up constantly enjoying finals n flags it wasn't even within the thought process. But after suffering through a save our skins plus near forty year drought while watching more and more clubs blow into the comp and walk away with the trophy. After seeing South / Sydaknee win one after 70 plus years n mobs like the Saints, Dees, Doggies, Cats struggling to win a flag for so many years, the reality eventually bites as to just how hard it can be to simply survive sometimes n not even think about the ultimate prize.
If you consider how many grown men and women, long long time supporters went the full blub from sheer joy n didn't care who saw them when we finally got back to the flag, then a handful of life memberships is a tiny recognition n gift of thanks.
Not sure if we're the first club in the comp to honour our players with a life membership for winning the Granny, but I'm certainly glad we're doing it. Ten years service, 150 games service or helping achieve the ultimate prize in the comp. All worthy reasons for a little pat on the back n thank you from the club n it's members in my book.
Agree, and I'd add that there should be something (perhaps not life membership,but something significant) for all members who were paid up every year between 1980 and 2017.
You know we're going alright when people find things like this to carry on about. Premierships are the name of the game, our club feels anyone who runs out on the day and helps deliver us one gets a life membership. Thats it. What can we carry on about next?
I agree with you but let's not start potting people for having an opinion and discussion. It's the entire point of this forum.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I must confess to perhaps having some cloudy vision in this debate.

After 20+ years in elite sport and spending the past 5 years at two AFL clubs, one successful, one not so much, I've found myself out of a job for the first time for no reason than the senior coach is sacked and the new coach wants a fresh approach.

Having said that I have analysed over and over how each position panned out and it is clear the successful side and the unsuccessful side had staff that were almost identical in capacity and performance.

Plenty of thai massage joints around you could get a gig at

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Plenty of thai massage joints around you could get a gig at

I use to be a cleaner at Thai massage center.
Can’t understand the amount of tissues used.
Always thought it was because the massages were so rough the punters would be in tears crying.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users