Life membership debate | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Life membership debate

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Marlion Pickett will gain Life Membership at the AGM next month, no doubt that will spark a debate about it as he's only played 1 game. Personally i'd love to be having this debate every year

Reactions: 5 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Marlion Pickett will gain Life Membership at the AGM next month, no doubt that will spark a debate about it as he's only played 1 game. Personally i'd love to be having this debate every year
If you’re not part of the RFC (including supporters) your opinion on the topic is irrelevant and you can just go and get *smile*!

That’s my take on it.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'm guessing Bill James would be a posthumous life member as he achieved the same playing career as Marlion has so far.
Considering how hard it is for clubs to win a flag and how long it can often take to even get into contention. I don't have any issue whatsoever in a club honoring it's players with life membership for actually achieving what all the clubs in the comp are striving for.
Yes there will always be the outlier of a player who plays one or maybe only a handful of games for various reasons. But it's simply a matter of honoring the actual ultimate achievement within the game.
As a young bloke who grew up constantly enjoying finals n flags it wasn't even within the thought process. But after suffering through a save our skins plus near forty year drought while watching more and more clubs blow into the comp and walk away with the trophy. After seeing South / Sydaknee win one after 70 plus years n mobs like the Saints, Dees, Doggies, Cats struggling to win a flag for so many years, the reality eventually bites as to just how hard it can be to simply survive sometimes n not even think about the ultimate prize.
If you consider how many grown men and women, long long time supporters went the full blub from sheer joy n didn't care who saw them when we finally got back to the flag, then a handful of life memberships is a tiny recognition n gift of thanks.
Not sure if we're the first club in the comp to honour our players with a life membership for winning the Granny, but I'm certainly glad we're doing it. Ten years service, 150 games service or helping achieve the ultimate prize in the comp. All worthy reasons for a little pat on the back n thank you from the club n it's members in my book.

Reactions: 6 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I think the life membership debate is done and moved on - the way this club operates now with their team first ethos is that they would argue that the squad all get a medal - or at least all those players who played at least one game during that season (which I am happy about and is almost the whole squad anyways).

Marlion was a major contributor in the granny so that in itself makes him a worthy life member. I guess if he rocked up for his first game in the big one and put in a shocker and then struggled to play in the following seasons then you could perhaps mount an argument that life membership was a bit over the top.

Right now I think any player who runs out in the best 22 during the year should get one.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I think the life membership debate is done and moved on - the way this club operates now with their team first ethos is that they would argue that the squad all get a medal - or at least all those players who played at least one game during that season (which I am happy about and is almost the whole squad anyways).

Marlion was a major contributor in the granny so that in itself makes him a worthy life member. I guess if he rocked up for his first game in the big one and put in a shocker and then struggled to play in the following seasons then you could perhaps mount an argument that life membership was a bit over the top.

Right now I think any player who runs out in the best 22 during the year should get one.
I agree with that. If someone plays a senior game during the year then they contributed to the Premiership and deserve to be recognised.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I think his situation encapsulates exactly why the life membership policy is poor policy.

It is clearly ridiculous that he is a life member of the club after half a season on the list and one game. For me to devalues the weight of life membership.

A life membership should be earned via an outstanding contribution to the club over a long period of time.

The current policy implies that being a premiership player is the only thing that matters and it is just not the case. There are any number of fine Richmond men who played throughout the 80s and 90s that will never be life members but have made a much greater contribution to the RFC than Pickett has.

An uncharacteristically poor piece of administration from Brendon Gale.
Plenty, in fact I reckon most , like me , disagree with you

Just because we are the only club that does it doesn't mean its wrong & it was a board decision, not solely Benny's

Re the highlighted comment, name someone who you think has contributed more that a premiership player please

Reactions: 3 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I think his situation encapsulates exactly why the life membership policy is poor policy.

It is clearly ridiculous that he is a life member of the club after half a season on the list and one game. For me to devalues the weight of life membership.

A life membership should be earned via an outstanding contribution to the club over a long period of time.

The current policy implies that being a premiership player is the only thing that matters and it is just not the case. There are any number of fine Richmond men who played throughout the 80s and 90s that will never be life members but have made a much greater contribution to the RFC than Pickett has.

Wrong.

Premierships are the ultimate that clubs strive for and if you are part of a team that wins one you deserve life membership (you think the 18 odd players who played in the Saints only flag wouldn't deserve life membership??).

"The current policy implies that being a premiership player is the only thing that matters and it is just not the case." No thats not true. The current policy is either/or. You're a premiership player and/or you play 150 games for the club. It accommodates both.

Reactions: 4 users

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
It's a pretty loose use of the term 'Premiership hero'.

Nothing against Pickett but he played a good game in one of the most dominant team performances in any Grand Final ever. It wasn't exactly a cauldron out there.

His influence on the Premiership is arguably the least of any premiership player in the history of the game given he had almost zero influence on the season itself.

Having said that he deserves to be lauded as a premiership player and he has earned that title by being selected for a Grand Final but being made a life member for it is a joke.

Ivan Maric, who will likely never be a life member, had more influence on that Premiership than Pickett did.

As for Lambert, he turned up week in week out when we were putrid and put his body on the line. He was a driver of standards and a true example of courage on the footy field, as well as being a Dyer Medalist and runner-up. The fact that he wasn't lucky enough to be dropped into a premiership side aside, his contribution to Richmond is incomparable to Pickett's, at this stage.

I’m calling chicken *smile* on your interpretation of the term “Premiership hero”
One could argue that any player that represents the club in a winning G.F ( and we’ve only ever won 12 ) deserves the right to be referred to forever as a Premiership hero. Every player on the ground attributed to the win. It’s the ultimate achievement in a team sport.
I also believe your choice of using Craig Lambert is poor, because he chose to leave for more money and could have stayed and played 150 games. He may also have helped us win a Premiership along the way but chose not to. He wasn’t unlucky!
Life memberships have now been given a second criteria. They are not a catch all. Would you be arguing if a Champion player got a career ending injury whilst stuck on 149 games? There are many hard luck stories.
Let’s just celebrate the lucky ones with a medal and the unlucky ones with our respect and appreciation. I’m sure the club does.
You calling it a joke is very harsh but you do regularly seem to favour the unpopular view

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

I understand your argument and agree to a point.

1 game verse many by some great players to not make the 150 games mark (Naish, capt Kane Johnson is another) is compelling but then what Pickett did was outstanding (I know you don’t think he was that influencial but he is now part of tiger folklor whether we like it or not)

We are about wining grand finals - Graham is an example that, despite only playing 39 games in his short career has contributed enormously to two flags now. His 3 goals in the 2017 granny was significant - the same with Townsend in 2017.

I can see that you can argue both sides, and depending what I have drunk will agree to either arguments , but in the end its winning grand finals that drive us.

So I think the argument about long term contributions are important, particularly when we are play poorly, and the 150 game is about right in that scenario but when we are on a role like we are now, I can see that argument also which is why I like both options as we now have it.

Bultler is a hero, a Richmond premiership player, and a life member with only 45 games against his name and is now a St Kilda player.

I am happy with that.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
As well as playing a certain number of games, we had 150 (Collingwood was/is 200), winning a significant award (Coleman, Brownlow, Norm Smith) could also gain life membership. Maybe that should be extended to JD medallist’s, which would grant it to players like Lambert and Coughlan.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We are about wining grand finals - Graham is an example that, despite only playing 39 games in his short career has contributed enormously to two flags now. His 3 goals in the 2017 granny was significant - the same with Townsend in 2017.

I can see that you can argue both sides, and depending what I have drunk will agree to either arguments , but in the end its winning grand finals that drive us.
It is an interesting debate, but on Graham, you say he contributed enormously to 2 premierships, but his effort this year would not give him life membership, if he didn't already have it.
Also the club has spent a lot of time stating that all 45 players contributed to the premiership, but only the 22 get life membership. Is the next step to give it to everyone on the list?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I think Collingwood has it right by not awarding Life Memberships until people retire.

The timing would be much better if the premiership players were acknowledged at the end of their careers rather than straight after the game at the next AGM.

I actually like that idea - makes it more a gift when they hang up the boots and it reflects their overall contribution to the club. That’s much better than straight away.

Pickett plays for another 3 seasons and gets to 60 games with a premiership under his belt and we might not be having this debate when he gets life membership.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Re the highlighted comment, name someone who you think has contributed more that a premiership player please

Easy Taz

Adam Treloar. The most selfless bloke I have ever seen. Sacrificed his chance at a Tigers career by going to Collingwood to allow us a shot at glory. Even told the media he went because they had a better list to hide his own pain.

Gun human being. Fully deserves the ultimate recognition of being a life member, but he’ll never get it because..........

HE’LL NEVER BE A PREMIERSHIP PLAYER

Something seriously wrong with this policy IMO

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I think Collingwood has it right by not awarding Life Memberships until people retire.
Who the *smile* in his right mind gives a stuff what Colonwood do? Massive amount of hype n *smile* for two flags n a lifetime of almost nearly over the last sixty years. The only club in the competition to have a finals failure disease named after them. Biggest pocket pisser n bull *smile* artist in the land as their El Presidente for life in control for twenty years n not much to show for it.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I actually like that idea - makes it more a gift when they hang up the boots and it reflects their overall contribution to the club. That’s much better than straight away.

Pickett plays for another 3 seasons and gets to 60 games with a premiership under his belt and we might not be having this debate when he gets life membership.
Marlion might even be a dual or triple premiership player by then, we might have to make his missus n kids life members as well just to cover for all the flags n jubilation. :))

• Haha

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

The timing would be much better if the premiership players were acknowledged at the end of their careers rather than straight after the game at the next AGM.

It's a lot like the MBE's given to the English team after winning the 2005 Ashes, right down to the woman who organised the tour schedule.

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
It is true because if Pickett had played one game in round 17 then he wouldn't be a life member. The premiership is the only thing that differentiates him from the hundreds of other Tigers that played less than 150 games and didn't win one.

Look at Mark Coughlan, played 90 odd games and spent 3 years in rehab trying to get back, and will have left footy with all sorts of issues that will impact his body forever.

Also won a JD Medal which is harder to win than a Premiership medal, but will never be a life member. Is he less worthy than Pickett?
Premiership games only matter !.
Pickett gets his as the rule stipulates .

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I reckon Marlion should get 2 life memberships.