Little things that annoy you.... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Little things that annoy you....

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I'll add drivers turning left at an intersection via a slip lane who need to come to a complete stop before looking over their shoulder for traffic coming from the right. You should be able to get around the corner without slowing dramatically if there is no traffic coming.
Every *smile* morning at corner of Stud & FTG roads in Scoresby.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I live in a street where the houses and main road is separated by service roads. The local Council in their wisdom planted bushes on the strip between the roads. That’s fine except they don’t maintain them. Trying to exit the service road, especially when I leave for work very early in the morning, or in the evening is fraught with danger as the bushes , while not huge, obscure traffic coming through. I thought I’d pop into the council to report the hazard in person. Got there at 2.45 pm only to be stopped by , I guess a customer service person before entering the customer service part of the building. She asked how she could help. I explained the problem I wanted to report. She said unfortunately customer service hours are 10am- 2 pm Monday to Friday. WTF!!! I couldn’t believe it and asked her to repeat it. I replied that the majority of ratepayers are at work during those hours. How is that customer friendly? She said I would have to ring the number she gave me to make the report, again, during those hours. I was polite but in disbelief at how stupid this all was. I can’t go before work as they aren’t open, I can’t go after work as they’ve long finished for the day and I can’t go on saturdays as they don’t work weekends. I have to ring while I’m on a break at work and hope that I’m not on hold for ages , as is usually the case, to report a dangerous hazard. I guess if I get out my chainsaw and take matters into my own hands they will find people working outside those hours to find the time to issue me with a fine. I’m guessing they will have no issue raising my rates this year even though they are cutting services.
So bloody annoying:mad:

Luxury!

I was going to make a snide remark about my Council and ask if you also live with the most useless local council known to humankind.

I live in Glen Eira, trust me they are shockers.

Anyway, thought I would look up customer service at Glen EIra Council, and look what I find:

While our Customer Service Centre at Town Hall is closed until further notice, our Customer Service team is still receiving and responding to requests and questions via phone and through online channels.

You thought your Council was useless, at least they have a customer service department who actually have a presence, mine doesn't.

Not like our rates are low either.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Doesn't so much annoy me as I consider it really naff, but businesses and the like that advertise their establishment date and its a modern day one e.g. the Fremantle Dockers are promoting on their logo that they were established in 1994. Who **** cares !!!! If it was 1884 it'd mean something but 1994 ?? Big deal.

You see it all the time. Some shop somewhere that has "Established 2012." Who cares. People have socks older than that. Wankers.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Don't think there's a specific law against it. But the law says you must be in control of your vehicle at all times, so they could use their discretion to get you on it. I never heard of anyone being charged for eating or drinking while driving.

Eating an ice cream requires a bit of skill with a manual gearbox. Especially if it's melting.

I've never eaten an ice cream with a manual gear box what does it taste like?

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I was once driving on the behind a young female driver iin a little buzzbox on Monash "freeway". 4 solid lanes of traffic doing 80kmh. The young female was texting on her phone not concentrating on driving at all, a MASSIVE petrol tanker was right beside both of us when this person drifted towards the tankers wheels. I sh@t myself & blasted the horn to try & get her to see what was happening. Fortunately she swerved away from the tanker, but she kept on texting.
Needless to say I got away from her as soon as I could.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I can't comment on that specific road but there are 2 things which occur to me.

1) if they are stopped then they have no reason to be on the road, and that includes the bike lane as the bike lane is also a traffic lane (bicycles are traffic too).

2) hard to see in a car but some bike lanes which are actually the road shoulder are near impossible to cycle in as they are terrible surfaces, patched up and full of potholes and covered in crap because they are not swept and get lots of road debris.

Could be the specific road which causes the second issue. Morons are the cause of the first, morons who would be the first to get pissed off when a car stops in a bike lane but see no problem when they do it on their bikes.

DS
Humphries Rd bike lane is a good one. Nice and wide and good condition. They sit there waiting for others that have come up Two Bays Rd, just beyond the roundabout. It's dangerous yet every Sat & Sun they are there. Someone will get hit one day.

I've ridden to work myself, but I avoid roads as much as possible, its just not worth the risk IMO. Understand cyclists are traffic and entitled to use whatever roads they want just don't understand why some take such big risks with their behaviour on the road.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I live in a street where the houses and main road is separated by service roads. The local Council in their wisdom planted bushes on the strip between the roads. That’s fine except they don’t maintain them. Trying to exit the service road, especially when I leave for work very early in the morning, or in the evening is fraught with danger as the bushes , while not huge, obscure traffic coming through. I thought I’d pop into the council to report the hazard in person. Got there at 2.45 pm only to be stopped by , I guess a customer service person before entering the customer service part of the building. She asked how she could help. I explained the problem I wanted to report. She said unfortunately customer service hours are 10am- 2 pm Monday to Friday. WTF!!! I couldn’t believe it and asked her to repeat it. I replied that the majority of ratepayers are at work during those hours. How is that customer friendly? She said I would have to ring the number she gave me to make the report, again, during those hours. I was polite but in disbelief at how stupid this all was. I can’t go before work as they aren’t open, I can’t go after work as they’ve long finished for the day and I can’t go on saturdays as they don’t work weekends. I have to ring while I’m on a break at work and hope that I’m not on hold for ages , as is usually the case, to report a dangerous hazard. I guess if I get out my chainsaw and take matters into my own hands they will find people working outside those hours to find the time to issue me with a fine. I’m guessing they will have no issue raising my rates this year even though they are cutting services.
So bloody annoying:mad:
Local councils are full of *smile* idiots. Waste of time and space.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Humphries Rd bike lane is a good one. Nice and wide and good condition. They sit there waiting for others that have come up Two Bays Rd, just beyond the roundabout. It's dangerous yet every Sat & Sun they are there. Someone will get hit one day.

I've ridden to work myself, but I avoid roads as much as possible, its just not worth the risk IMO. Understand cyclists are traffic and entitled to use whatever roads they want just don't understand why some take such big risks with their behaviour on the road.

Indeed, cyclists are like everyone else, there is a proportion who are morons.

I like the road but you need to be predictable, visible (I have lights on all the time), give cars a chance to pass if you can and avoid really congested roads as they just aren't worth riding on.

DS

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Indeed, cyclists are like everyone else, there is a proportion who are morons.

I like the road but you need to be predictable, visible (I have lights on all the time), give cars a chance to pass if you can and avoid really congested roads as they just aren't worth riding on.

DS

I used to ride on the road a lot on weekends. Agree on what you say.

My view when riding was always that the car is bigger and much heavier than you, so avoid, avoid, avoid. Visbility is key, but the bit that I don't get, is how many cyclists ride with their earphones in. If theres one thing you need to use more than anything when you ride its your eyes AND your ears. So many seem to ride without their ears, and they tend to be the idiots swerving in and out, shooting red lights etc.

I started riding on the road in London, you learn very quickly which roads NOT to ride on there. Its similar in Melbourne, there are some roads, that cyclists should just avoid, just too dangerous.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I used to ride on the road a lot on weekends. Agree on what you say.

My view when riding was always that the car is bigger and much heavier than you, so avoid, avoid, avoid. Visbility is key, but the bit that I don't get, is how many cyclists ride with their earphones in. If theres one thing you need to use more than anything when you ride its your eyes AND your ears. So many seem to ride without their ears, and they tend to be the idiots swerving in and out, shooting red lights etc.

I started riding on the road in London, you learn very quickly which roads NOT to ride on there. Its similar in Melbourne, there are some roads, that cyclists should just avoid, just too dangerous.

Yep, riding with earphones in . . . they would be the morons I mentioned above!

I cross Kingsway on the way home from work, occasionally, not very often, you see a cyclist on Kingsway - crazy road to ride down. Narrow lanes, congested traffic, why would you bother? Yep, definitely roads to avoid, in fact, I take a bit of a detour to avoid 1 particular intersection on the way home - it has great visibility and one of the most dangerous in Melbourne (was mentioned in a newspaper article a while ago), corner New St and Bent Ave in Elwood/Brighton. Almost got wiped out there one day as a left turning car just went straight into the intersection barely looking. It's a shocker in a car too. I just avoid crap like that, can't be bothered.

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
NIMBY really annoys me.

Up our way, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) built a big ugly mansion on 7 mile beach, resplendent with a 10-pin bowling alley.

now someone wants to update (not build) a resort next door, that was built 10 years before Chris turned up,

and Chris suddenly stands 'shoulder to shoulder with the first nation elders' against 'inappropriate development on a sacred site'

get *smile* Chris

1. Nimby
2. Cynical appropriation/selective self interested exploitation of indigenous culture
3. Thor is not real

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
NIMBY really annoys me.

Up our way, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) built a big ugly mansion on 7 mile beach, resplendent with a 10-pin bowling alley.

now someone wants to update (not build) a resort next door, that was built 10 years before Chris turned up,

and Chris suddenly stands 'shoulder to shoulder with the first nation elders' against 'inappropriate development on a sacred site'

get *smile* Chris

1. Nimby
2. Cynical appropriation/selective self interested exploitation of indigenous culture
3. Thor is not real
Ha ha yeah the Hemsworths give me the *smile*. That is typical of what I reckon he'd do. As if he gives a *smile* what the elders think. He's got his $20m monstrosity built and he doesn't want anyone else to build or develop something that might have an impact on it. Inappropriate development :rotfl2 :rotfl2

I know you live up that way on some land ezy. Interested to know your thoughts on Byron Bay the actual town itself. I've visited it a couple of times and I've got to say I thought it was one of most overrated places I've ever visited. As for all the "influencers" who have suddenly decided that Byron is where they all must live......................

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Ha ha yeah the Hemsworths give me the *smile*. That is typical of what I reckon he'd do. As if he gives a *smile* what the elders think. He's got his $20m monstrosity built and he doesn't want anyone else to build or develop something that might have an impact on it. Inappropriate development :rotfl2 :rotfl2

I know you live up that way on some land ezy. Interested to know your thoughts on Byron Bay the actual town itself. I've visited it a couple of times and I've got to say I thought it was one of most overrated places I've ever visited. As for all the "influencers" who have suddenly decided that Byron is where they all must live......................

Byron is certainly a contender for the most beautiful place in the world ........ if you stand waist deep in the water facing East and don't talk to, or look at, anyone.

I live 25 mins away and go there about 3 times a year and leave in a terrible, cynical mood 66% of the time.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
NIMBY really annoys me.

get *smile* Chris

1. Nimby
3. Thor is not real
You seem to have a problem with people who build 10-pin bowling alleys in their homes. :confused:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Byron is certainly a contender for the most beautiful place in the world ........ if you stand waist deep in the water facing East and don't talk to, or look at, anyone.

I live 25 mins away and go there about 3 times a year and leave in a terrible, cynical mood 66% of the time.
Ha ha yes I thought I you may describe it in such a way. Although what happens on the other occasion where you don’t leave in a cynical mood.

To me it seems like a place full of vacuous arseholes who live their life in front of their phone camera and think that being an Instagram influencer is somehow making a meaningful contribution to the world in which we live. I can’t believe people fall into that *smile* garbage. I couldn’t bear the thought that I was making a contribution to the “livelihood” of such wastes of space. I do recall how one learned (and somewhat contrarian) PRE poster once described the influencer lifestyle as “detestable”. Thought it was a very apt description.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
My local Coles ( and I assume all other stores). They’ve had hot cross buns on sale since around Boxing Day but when I went in yesterday, not a single Easter egg or any other Easter themed product available, apart from the buns

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
My local Coles ( and I assume all other stores). They’ve had hot cross buns on sale since around Boxing Day but when I went in yesterday, not a single Easter egg or any other Easter themed product available, apart from the buns
Yeah, shops are funny like that, they can’t wait to move on from the current sales thing to the next thing, eg, Christmas, Easter, Back to school, to the point they’re packing it up before the actual event!

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
You’d reckon they’d give you more time to shop for Easter goodies. 5 months goes in the blink of an eye :LOL: