Lockett v Dunstall | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lockett v Dunstall

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
maybe, but Benny could have ended up boss cocky at the saints and they 3 peated 17/18/19?
Nah. Benny's a wizard which he needed to be to get us back to where we rightfully belong.

But he's no miracle worker and the Saints ironically have always needed even more than that.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I remember how exciting it was to watch those news reports! BTW - Huddo looks like he was about 10!

Huddo is a massive Richmond hater.
In the summer of 94 i saw him over a few nights out in Merimubla and the shiit talk he was giving us about supporting Richmond was unbelievable.
My constant come back was Geelong not only were the hand baggers but the bridesmaids of the AFL.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Huddo is a massive Richmond hater.
In the summer of 94 i saw him over a few nights out in Merimubla and the shiit talk he was giving us about supporting Richmond was unbelievable.
My constant come back was Geelong not only were the hand baggers but the bridesmaids of the AFL.
Yes Zips, Huddo has openly admitted to hating us. Their dominance over us over many years has also made it so much tougher for Cats' fans to respect anything that we achieve.
I am sure you gave Huddo some good lip back Zips!

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
wouldn't get a game in our current line up. about as good as Brody Mihocheck
Na Micheque is better. Mooney is the luckiest footballer in history. And has generated a media carer from little talent on screen.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Plugger was a good team player in State of Origins, in a better club side he would've been a good team player too.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Plugger was the best there has been as a spearhead, amazing for his size, he did intimidate alot of his opposition moreso than Dunstall ever did and Gary senior although Gary senior was a unique athlete and could play anywhere.

The fact these 3 all graced the field during the same era was a great time for AFL footy, and you can even throw in other top Key Forwards also such as Carey, Sumich and Modra as well.

I was grateful I got to see these champions in full flight at their best. (I too was at VFL Park that day when Piggy slotted 17).

The era of the great forwards akin to the great forwards of the 70s in Hudson, Wade, McKenna, Hart etc.

Dunstall was in a great team his greatness highlighted by the fact he payed alongside one of the greatest CHF's of modern era in 5 day 5 night Dermie..

Gazza was just amazing, but Plugger he was the king of the FF a genuine stay at home Full Forward who pulled in the crowds to watch him play.

They all tore the poor ol Tigers many new ones individually but they were great to watch in full flight all of them and I am always going to grateful that I was blessed to see them all in action.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Plugger was a good team player in State of Origins, in a better club side he would've been a good team player too.

Plugger and Dunstall waxed a fair bit too in the 1989 SoO game at the G, Plugger with 5, Dunstall 4.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Plugger and Dunstall waxed a fair bit too in the 1989 SoO game at the G, Plugger with 5, Dunstall 4.

Was there that day too.

Tony Hall (another top half forward for Hawks) did his knee playing for SA that day from memory.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Looking at the top 20 goal kickers of all time, if I had to rate them , I would go

1.Peter Hudson for his average goals per game , 5.64 nearly 1 goal a game better than Lockett who is 2nd
2.Skinny Tutus, said it before this bloke doesn't get the kudos he deserves
3. Mathews, a pig of a man but brilliant
4.Lockett , Coventry & Dunstall for the shear weight of goals

I would have thought Bob Pratt and Gordon Coventry would have to be high up.

DS

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
All the great forwards of the 90s had magnetic on field talent and personalities. Youd pay to watch any of them on any day. Especially Plugger and God. Except Piggy. He was boring. Hated watching him. Predictably unstoppable. Any one mention Fat Tony's hands. Incredible hands. pillow soft. And nasty. Nasty nasty footballer. Loved him.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
All the great forwards of the 90s had magnetic on field talent and personalities. Youd pay to watch any of them on any day. Especially Plugger and God. Except Piggy. He was boring. Hated watching him. Predictably unstoppable. Any one mention Fat Tony's hands. Incredible hands. pillow soft. And nasty. Nasty nasty footballer. Loved him.

Agree. Lockett then Ablett, Franklin and maybe then Dunstall.
He was a lead up and goal forward.
If the ball didn't come in silver service style he wont get it. Look at the game against Turner. The delivery to him that night was shocking.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
When in doubt, just pick the guy who would win in a fight.
Lockett hands down.

• Haha

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Gee Hudson seems to be being sold a bit short in this. 129 games, 727 goals @ 5.64 ave. That's better than Plugger & Piggy.
He was a freak, when he came back after his knee injury he was basically playing on one leg, buthe still kicked bags of goals.
Imo he needs to be viewed in the same light as the other 2.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Being an old Ballarat boy I have to give the nod to Plugger. Mathews the best footballer and St Francis an absolute courageous consisant champion. I remember Big Tony in a bar in Ballarat one night aged around 18 picking up one of my mates aged around 23 ( who was a thrashing machine) and throwing him about 5 metres across the room. Strong strong lad!

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Dunstall was good but Lockett could do everything! I think he even chased down Richo on the wing one day out at Waverly???

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Dunstall was up on the wing chasing tackles at Waverley in ?92?
He was on 17 goals when the ball came into the forward line and he was too lazy to make it back to equal the record.
I was at the ground and was thinking thats the one bright spot of today that he didnt get the record

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
In the Lockett v Dunstall comparison Is go Lockett for similar reasons to spook. If my memory is correct Dunstall kicked a shed load within 40m range due to the service. Not sure he could kick it 50m. Lockett could kick them from anywhere and bloody a dead eye *smile*. Makes the footballers throwing the ball around and running arcs and *smile* these days look like a bunch of turkeys.
Lockett has a sweet and simple action.