lol carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

lol carlton

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I don't understand the knocks on Silvagni.

By any measure his work with GWS was a massive success and whilst it is too early to measure his work at Carlton, they are certainly headed the right way.

Definitely far from the worst list manager going around.

He's approaching his fifth anniversary as list manager.

18th / 6th-oldest team
14th / 6th-oldest team
16th / 16th-oldest team
18th / 13th-oldest team
16th / 14th-oldest team

Would any coach survive five years with those results?

The five previous years were a relative picnic - 8th, 5th, 10th, 6th, 13th.

While there is necessarily a lag between recruiting and on-field results, Carlton are still yet to reach parity where their ladder position exceeds the team's age rank. Only then can you say that some improvement is evident, relative to the other clubs. For all the self-spruiking in the post-season as a "destination club", they were only able to attract cast-offs + the fraud Jack Martin.

They may get there eventually - no guarantee - but their progress has been painfully slow. May they remain in limbo forever.

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Had a similar discussion on the weekend. Apparently Eddie will sell memberships

Good idea
Round 1 next year - instead of being towelled up by Grimes inside - he will be employed outside the G in their membership and merchandise tent

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
When the coach says a group of the older boys tells him to 'Get Eddie Back!'.... tail wagging the dog! Training wheels are on and loose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

By any measure his work with GWS was a massive success and whilst it is too early to measure his work at Carlton, they are certainly headed the right way.

Are you serious?
He had 5 powerball numbers at GWS and he still screwed it up.
He has recruited every bloke that didn’t succeed at GWS to Carlton.
Very ordinary recruiting boss.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
When the coach says a group of the older boys tells him to 'Get Eddie Back!'.... tail wagging the dog! Training wheels are on and lose.

He is the next to go. The carnival is over. They cop a couple of slapping watch the go after him.
And everyone will be saying Judd was right...
How many coaches have taken over mid year and had some success and then get slaughtered the following year.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Work with GWS a major success? Granny Fay could have recruited well with the picks he had. Carlton, I'm not convinced. Wasted so many picks. 16th on the ladder this year. Sure they are going to rise, no team stays at the bottom forever. Hasn't been able to score a true gun via free agency. I'm not really sure what he has achieved thus far in his career. Can't see him getting another recruiting contract. I'm glad he's not at the Tigers.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
He's approaching his fifth anniversary as list manager.

18th / 6th-oldest team
14th / 6th-oldest team
16th / 16th-oldest team
18th / 13th-oldest team
16th / 14th-oldest team

Would any coach survive five years with those results?

The five previous years were a relative picnic - 8th, 5th, 10th, 6th, 13th.

While there is necessarily a lag between recruiting and on-field results, Carlton are still yet to reach parity where their ladder position exceeds the team's age rank. Only then can you say that some improvement is evident, relative to the other clubs. For all the self-spruiking in the post-season as a "destination club", they were only able to attract cast-offs + the fraud Jack Martin.

They may get there eventually - no guarantee - but their progress has been painfully slow. May they remain in limbo forever.

Right on. Carlton will be relying on youngsters to pick up their game over the next couple of years. The problem is their current stars are over the hill and won't be there to participate. Unlike the Tigers, who have been able to time the growth of the youngsters in with the peak of the experienced players, Carlton won't have that luxury.

Simpson 35, Betts 32, Murphy 32, Kruezer 30, Ed Curnow 30, Casboult 30

Carlton will surely get to a middle of the road team. Will they be able to take the next step to a premiership window? Hard to see it at this stage.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne

Would be interesting to compare Emma Quayle's selections and SOS's when he was at GWS. I'm guessing a direct correlation.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not disagreeing with all of your assessment TBR, but the Suns didn't get nearly the same draft concessions as GWS. The Suns failed and as a result the AFL swung the pendulum too far in the other direction giving the Giants the academies and the monopoly on first rounders.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If it was that simple how do you explain the Gold Coast?

Very easy to explain in my opinion. It comes down to the number of selections each had and the approach they took. Below is a list of draft selection each club took in their first three national drafts:

GOLD COAST
2010: 1,2,3,9,10,11,13,39,49
2011: 24,80,88,91
2012: 13,55,57,58

GWS:
2011: 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10,11,13,14,56,79,87,90
2012: 1,2,3,12,14,27,63,67,83,97
2013: 1,2,14,29,95,97

GC : 8 first round draft picks of which 3 were top 3
GWS: 19 first round draft picks of which 8 were top 3

Already way ahead were GWS with the concessions but it was amplified by the fact that GC went the way that the AFL expected them to go and that was to trade in some of their high draft picks for mature players from other clubs which they duly did. They had NO 1st round national draft picks in year 2. GWS on the other hand knew that they were going to be a basket case for the first few years and kept their picks and kept trading for even more national draft picks early on knowing they wouldn't keep them all later on and traded players later on when they knew they would be more competitive. I firmly believe the wily Sheedy had something to do with this plan of attack.

Check out Gold Coast's first year draft picks:

- David Swallow - still there
- Harley Bennell - off the rails
- Sam Day - still there
- Josh Caddy - Tigers
- Dion Prestia - Tigers
- Tom Lynch - Tigers

So not a lot wrong with those picks, the Tigers ironically have benefited from it a lot more than GC and those last 3 are premiership players now. I stand by my belief that SOS had a pretty simple task. Interesting that he bypassed two of Carlton's best players in 2011 and 2013 when recruiting for GWS

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/08/15/how-sos-overlooked-both-carlton-captains-in-the-draft/

Reactions: 6 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'm not sure I'm quite following what you are saying here. I'm pretty sure Carlton were the youngest list after Gold Coast and Brisbane for the last two years.

I think when you take into account he has changed all bar about half a dozen players in those 5 years it is not unreasonable, the test will be what happens in the next few years. They should be pushing into double figure wins next year, then finals, then deep finals. Hard to judge before that I reckon.

List age is almost worthless, bloated as it is by rookies and late picks who will never make the grade. I only look at the age of the senior 22.

The telltale sign of a team on the march is beating older teams. Carlton have done this twice under Teague - their good win over Brisbane in Teague's first match after being blown away early, and the grinding win over Adelaide (which illustrated the strife the Crows are in). They beat St.Kilda who were the same age, and Gold Coast, Sydney and the Bulldogs who were much younger. Not convinced.

Look at Hardwick's early wins for comparison, or the Bulldogs over the past two years for examples of teams on the move.

Anyone can turn over the list, numerous Richmond coaches did it without achieving success. Carlton pulled the rug out from under Ellis and Butler and their list places were taken instead by Newnes and 33yo Betts. They deserve to wallow in sub-mediocrity.

Haven't looked at their draw, but if Carlton wins 10+ games next year I'll recant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
List age is almost worthless, bloated as it is by rookies and late picks who will never make the grade. I only look at the age of the senior 22.

The telltale sign of a team on the march is beating older teams. Carlton have done this twice under Teague - their good win over Brisbane in Teague's first match after being blown away early, and the grinding win over Adelaide (which illustrated the strife the Crows are in). They beat St.Kilda who were the same age, and Gold Coast, Sydney and the Bulldogs who were much younger. Not convinced.

Look at Hardwick's early wins for comparison, or the Bulldogs over the past two years for examples of teams on the move.

Anyone can turn over the list, numerous Richmond coaches did it without achieving success. Carlton pulled the rug out from under Ellis and Butler and their list places were taken instead by Newnes and 33yo Betts. They deserve to wallow in sub-mediocrity.

Haven't looked at their draw, but if Carlton wins 10+ games next year I'll recant.

Newnes is very lucky he isnt playing for Sandingham next year.
Betts should just sell beanies and scarfes before each game..he is finished.
Carlton need a good old slapping in round 1.
A nice 12 goal win might have them launched deep under a rock.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Newnes is very lucky he isnt playing for Sandingham next year.

Still think teams remember players who have played well against them. Two of Newnes best 4 games ever statistically were against Blues:

33 disps (16 kicks 17 hballs) and 9 marks in Rd 8 19-pt win over Carlton at Marvel Stadium (13 May 2017)
32 disps (24 kicks 8 hballs), 9 marks and a goal in Rd 20 71-pt win over Carlton at the MCG (7 Aug 2016)

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
SOS is out I hear, but unconfirmed source as yet.
It’s been widely reported from Jon Ralph in the HUN and various other media (including social) over the last few days.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Still think teams remember players who have played well against them. Two of Newnes best 4 games ever statistically were against Blues:

33 disps (16 kicks 17 hballs) and 9 marks in Rd 8 19-pt win over Carlton at Marvel Stadium (13 May 2017)
32 disps (24 kicks 8 hballs), 9 marks and a goal in Rd 20 71-pt win over Carlton at the MCG (7 Aug 2016)

Why wasn't i ever drafted i kicked 4 goals in an exhibition match against Carlton Cheer Squad in 1997.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
SOS is out I hear, but unconfirmed source as yet.

Its a "claytons' im walking away.
He has been told get out and stay out.
Why would they bring him back in the first place? He lagged them in about paying Brown & Williams under the table.
Resulting in draft bans.
He isnt held in high regards at carlton as the media make it out to be.