lol carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

lol carlton

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I certainly had the wrong impression about the free being paid downfield, which turned out to be correct.

Interesting point made by ex-umpire Matthew Head that the closest player taking the free kick isn't actually written into the rules.

What did the umpire say then about how to decide who takes the kick?

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
At most the call of deliberate was tiggy touchwood and therefore should not have been called especially to decide a game.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
They're not keeping the public informed and opening the umpires up to criticism. At least with the hard line on HTB it was consistent; now it's all over the shop again.

I hate seeing players let the ball go when tackled and not get penalised. It's not even football.

Thats the problem with such a massive knee jerk change.

The idea has merit but poorly conceived and executed

And the backtrack has seemingly gone beyond the old interpretation

Except the HTB decision against casboult in the last which was an extreme interpretation of the change and ridiculous

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Can we expect another knee jerk reaction from the AFL?
Not today, but by Monday yes.
Thats the benefit of this footy fiesta, we can have a revised rule interpretation and a then a revamped rule and then a reviewed set of rules all in the same week.
It might be the same round but i have nfi what round it is

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
watched the replay frame by frame.I thought the deliberate was there, the downfield maybe there? no real issue with either.

but the big error imo was where they paid the downfield. probably 20m closer to goal than it should have been? seemed to pay it from where the ball came to rest on the fence, rather than where it went OOB?

I dunno the rule on where downfield actually is?

anyway, a good result for us. keeps Carlton in the hunt and hungry with pies, giants and lion to come.

Carlton have some say on the makeup of the 8

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
but the big error imo was where they paid the downfield. probably 20m closer to goal than it should have been? seemed to pay it from where the ball came to rest on the fence, rather than where it went OOB?

Should be where the ball crosses the line. Hard to judge from the camera angle in Perth, there are always a few that look out where the boundary ump calls play on.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
watched the replay frame by frame.I thought the deliberate was there, the downfield maybe there? no real issue with either.

anyway, a good result for us. keeps Carlton in the hunt and hungry with pies, giants and lion to come.

Yeah good point re: who they have to play.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

The wrong bloke definitely took the kick, the ball went over Gibbon's head, just inside 50, somehow, after they'd decided it was a Carlton free, Newnes kicks from about 30.
Can Freo appeal?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Should be where the ball crosses the line. Hard to judge from the camera angle in Perth, there are always a few that look out where the boundary ump calls play on.
The give away is where Gibbons was standing on the mark when they thought it was Freos free. Went from Gibbons at 50 to Newnes at 40. And Taberner should never have let Dockerty play on.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Yep. Clear umpiring error.

All of my Carlton mates who are professional umpire whingers are mysteriously quiet after last night.

• Haha

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016

Just plain dumb play by Fremantle.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Agree. Was a very short sighted decision. And Betts looked finished last year.
I think it was an awesome decision, I believe the Blues have sent a himalyan search party out to find Bruce Doull in his secret humpy, just for a coffee at this point

• Haha