lol carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

lol carlton

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Geez really?
I stand corrected, it was his agent but the article says the Blues will back him in for 2021. And it wasn’t a month ago but 9 days ago!

‘INVIGORATED’ BETTS WANTS TO GO AGAIN
Eddie Betts is determined to play on into a 17th season in his return to Carlton with all indications the Blues will back him in for 2021.

Betts’ manager Garry Winter told the Herald Sun that Betts was invigorated by his return to Carlton after a strong season that has mixed spectacular moments with some quieter games.

Betts helped Carlton win its first game at GMHBA Stadium since 1996 with a magical last minute that included a game-sealing tackle on Jack Henry, and kicked four goals against the Western Bulldogs.

He returned to the club where he played the first nine seasons of his career on a one-year deal that Adelaide has also helped top up financially.

Winter said a player who will turn 34 in November was determined to play on given his enjoyment in a season where quick turnarounds have hampered recoveries.

Carlton veteran Eddie Betts is keen to play on. Picture: Michael Klein
Carlton veteran Eddie Betts is keen to play on. Picture: Michael Klein
“He was keen to sign a two-year deal but Carlton said they had a policy where players over 30 sign one-year deals and they wouldn’t breach that,” he said.

“The intention is that he will play on and it still feels like he is adding value on the field but he doesn’t want to force anyone to keep him on the books.

“At this stage it’s been a disrupted season and it’s hard for players to get a crack at it, but he’s won a couple of games off his own boot and while he’s had a few quiet games, he has a high standard and with his seniority and the help he is providing to young guys the feedback we are getting from Carlton is they are ecstatic.

Feb 25, 2007
watched the replay frame by frame.I thought the deliberate was there, the downfield maybe there? no real issue with either.

I too watched it several times and thought the call was horrendous for the downfield free. Clearly the blues player milks it. Can you imagine if this happened to Richmond an oppo player flopping like that?. Furthermore, the kick should've gone to Gibbons. Umps getting worse for lapses of concentration in games, missing obvious free kicks right in front of them.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I too watched it several times and thought the call was horrendous for the downfield free. Clearly the blues player milks it. Can you imagine if this happened to Richmond an oppo player flopping like that?. Furthermore, the kick should've gone to Gibbons. Umps getting worse for lapses of concentration in games, missing obvious free kicks right in front of them.

I can see both sides.

when im not sure, I imagine the misdemeanour in question was against Richmond.

It was front on contact, after he'd kicked it.

certainly a subjective call as to wether it was late or not,

But if it was a tigers player, id be out of my seat screaming 'downfield'.

But agree 100% umpiring this year has been consistently horrible

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007
anyway, a good result for us. keeps Carlton in the hunt and hungry with pies, giants and lion to come.
Carlton have some say on the makeup of the 8

Yeah, agree, as much they got win they will be hungry and likely to knock off 1 or 2 from those 3 you mentioned which of course is good for us.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I only watched it on and off and saw the highlights but it seemed to me that in a game that only produced 10 goals the umpires had a enormous say in a number of them.
The last 30 seconds was comedy capers, stuff ups all around. Not sure the deliberate was there, not sure the down the field was there and the kick was taken by the wrong player 20 metres from where is should have been.
Umpires were terrible, Freo was awful in that 30 seconds and Carlton were incredibly lucky in the end but 2 of Freo's 3 goals in the 1st quarter were the softest frees you will ever see so maybe it was kharma

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
but the big error imo was where they paid the downfield. probably 20m closer to goal than it should have been? seemed to pay it from where the ball came to rest on the fence, rather than where it went OOB?

They never ever pay OOTF in the right spot unless the boundary umpire is under the ball when it goes out. They generally play it where the ball ends up, often 10-15m from where it crosses the line. Commentators never notice it.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
For a long time now, we the gracious, the benevolent, the grand of Richmond have spoken of Carlton's pathetic lack of youth. Of their saddening lack of future. (Never mentioning our own distinguished manners or superior understanding of suffering and progress. No. Not once.)

But we are back at a topic unavoidable to those who would instruct the determined failure of their neighbours.

We, who would make progress and profit. We, who would send our many minions to lighten the burden of a neighbourly but clearly inferior aristocracy, despair at the grey whiskers of those who still aid the wanton Carlton. The Simpsonites. The Murphi-els. The Levis.

Anyway I'm done with that schtick. Carlton had a big win tonight. They are in their premiership window. But they have no youth.

it was a lie all those years ago when I didn't post the lolcarlton thread, established truth by the time some lazy poster finally did.

Carlton got no youth. Geriatric-dependent club.

*But De Konig?* Looks great. Is that the first name we've added in years? Had two games? Promising.

Add that name to Charlie Curnow (injured), Harry McKay (could still be good), Sam Walsh (very conspicuous), Petrevski-Seaton 13touch HBF 22yo, and at last you are faced with the awesome youth of Carlton's future.

These are the green shoots. Lolcarlton.

They have more 40yos than an internet dark patterner's boardroom. (Not talking about the AFL. No. Not at all. They're 50+.)

Carlton has a very established top end. No real change there. Been reporting the same thing for years.

Not to say David Teague didn't have a very good night tonight. Awesome. And Walsh was ok.

• Wow
  • Haha

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
In respect of the GCS v lolcarlton game tonight I have one thing to add - there were no good players on the ground tonight.

Really. Look at it again. Look a the numbers. Look at Cripps. Look at Lukosius. They were shithouse. Tonight.

But each club is interesting right now.

• Wow

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
From August 2016 to August 2020 (thread age) how did it work out for the Leering Imbecile?

How did it work out for Mister Damien Hardwick?

#lolcarlton

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Denis Pagan tells about his time at Carlton in today's HS, how much of a basket case the club was and how he tried to lure Richo.
Pagan unsuccessfully tried to lure new players to the club without success.

Richmond star Matthew Richardson was courted with a batch of scrumptious scones baked by Pagan‘s wife Cheryl.

“Cheryl made a lovely afternoon tea and we thought we were some sort of chance,” Pagan said.

“But when he got up (from the chair), we could see it wasn’t going to happen. Why would you want to come to Carlton. No one wanted to come. We couldn’t land a fish."

LOL Carlton.

• Haha

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I've met Denis Pagan.

Let's just say, with a few drinks under his belt, you be hard pressed to find a more underwhelming specimen of humanity.

As far as I was concerned, he and Carlton deserved one another.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think times up for Eddie, best thing for Carlton is to let him trot off Into retirement.

therefore I hope they re-sign him for 2021....

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Carlton did a Houdini last week against an ordinary side in the Swans and on talk back radio you would have thought they were world beaters according to their fans, today will be another reality check, my question is how many reality checks do their supporters need :D