lol carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

lol carlton

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I fail to see how they have improved this season.

Plusses - Sam Walsh, Harry Mackay, Weitering, Newnes and Marchbank.

Negatives Betts ....Murphy closer to the end , Simpson nearly done, Curnow ACL, Humphrey Kreuzer (ret), and a further hobbled Cripps.

some incremental improvement for them but also some losses at the other end.

Betts as great a champion and wonderful feel good story its been they shouldve chased Butler or Ellis and properly pursued Papley.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Negatives Betts ....Murphy closer to the end , Simpson nearly done, Curnow ACL, Humphrey Kreuzer (ret), and a further hobbled Cripps.

Betts as great a champion and wonderful feel good story its been they shouldve chased Butler or Ellis and properly pursued Papley.

DeKoning would be in the plus category to replace the Kruz, shows a fair bit of potential

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Their drop in form coincided with Cripps drop in output and he may never return to his peak. And Betts was always a mistake.

Nah - these compressed games would have knocked the socks of Cripps - he can’t carry a team without having time to recover between games - he will be back next year but agree he does need help.

Talking to a Carlton mate last night - it is very hard to pin point how one team makes the jump like Lions last year and the saints this year while others don‘t. Carlton are mostly doing the right thing with youth but they lack that really star talent - you need 3 or 4 min to build a team around. I still think they might get there with this squad but they are clearly still a couple of years off making finals I reckon. Reminded him with our squad it took 3 or 4 years to make finals and then another 3 of playing finals but not being able to win one. The advantage of 2016 for us was we invested time into our bottom 6 which means we now have depth as well and bat quite deep.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

Not sure McKay took another step this season from last. Marchbank barely played. Newnes is an average foot soldier. Walsh and McKay positives. TDK has been a big positive, as has Weitering.

Betts, Murphy, Simpson all a year closer to retirement, Kreuzer has retired Curnow not playing a game and Cripps looking demonstrably fatigued/injured are all big negatives.

Carlton's main 2 issues remain unaddressed imo:

1. Finding more young players to translate their promise into being good AFL players;
2. Finding more midfield depth to help Cripps.

They've done neither well enough for this year to be considered an improvement.

Letsroar

Tiger Matchwinner
May 19, 2014
Kreuzer underachieved not through any fault of his just asked to do to much too young

In Cripps they have a player who can win finals but the way he has been handled he will be ruined before they make it.

They need a plug and play hard at it mid fielder so that Cripps can do more of the dynamic stuff like this weeks goal. But first he needs a role player to do the grunt work Some one like Greenwood at the suns

My bet would be that they will continue to put too much grunt work into Cripps and he becomes more and more a high possession low impact player. Then they will throw Walsh in the deep end and repeat the same process again

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
I see Callum Moore only got two games with Carlton this year and is now out of contract.
I liked Moore (and Menadue) and thought they would carve a career elsewhere ......

Would have thought Moore had enough skills so that Carlton could have tried him in a few positions this season.....
Was he injured?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I see Callum Moore only got two games with Carlton this year and is now out of contract.
I liked Moore (and Menadue) and thought they would carve a career elsewhere ......

Would have thought Moore had enough skills so that Carlton could have tried him in a few positions this season.....
Was he injured?

No chance.
I saw one of the games. He looked lost.

sconies

Tiger Rookie
Aug 22, 2019
welp.
I like Eddie a lot, but do find this a bit surprising.

More Betts: Popular Blue to kick on at Carlton in 2021

One of the AFL's most popular players, Eddie Betts, will play on in 2021 for Carlton in what will be his 17th year in the AFL.

Carlton have agreed to give a new contract for Betts, 33, who had left Adelaide after 2019 and came back to his first AFL club to finish his career.

There had been some doubt about whether Betts would continue with Carlton, with his long-serving team mates and fellow veterans Matthew Kreuzer and Kade Simpson retiring this year, as the Blues continue their transition to a younger list profile.

Betts was brought back to the Blues as much for his off-field influence - such as mentoring youngsters and Indigenous players at the club - as for what he could do on field, having left the Blues as a free agent at the end of 2013 to launch a highly successful stint with the Crows, where his stature in the game reached new heights, due to his goalkicking feats and exuberant, open personality.

Betts, who has a close relationship with Carlton senior coach David Teague from the their days in Adelaide together (where Teague was forwards coach), was possibly helped by the decision of Sydney's star small forward Tom Papley to stick with the Swans. Papley unsuccessfully sought a trade to the Blues in the post-season of 2019.

The retention of Betts was foreshadowed by the fact that Carlton had not announced his retirement; it was unlikely that the Blues would let Betts' career end without some form of tribute or recognition had they decided not to offer him a spot.

Betts has played 14 of 16 games this season, booting 13 goals in a lower-scoring season. While most of his numbers are down on his career averages, Teague clearly wanted to retain his experience in a team that was losing Simpson and Kreuzer.

All told, Betts has played 330 games for 613 goals at Carlton and Adelaide, leading Carlton's goalkicking in 2010 and 2012 and making All-Australian with the Crows in 2015, 2016 and 2017, when Adelaide made the grand final.

One unique measure of Betts' career is that he has won the AFL's goal of the year four times.

Unfortunately, Betts - one of the game's most admired Indigenous players - also has been subjected to repeated racist attacks, on the field, in daily life and in social media. He told Fox Footy earlier this year that he was "sick and tired'' of the repeated racist comments but felt it was his duty to call out racist behaviour to achieve change. "The way to hurt these guys is to keep playing great footy and keep smiling and that's what I love doing,'' he said.

Betts was one of the players disappointed by Adelaide's notorious post-season camp on the Gold Coast after the grand final and ultimately sought a trade back to the Blues, after Gold Coast also showed interest in him during 2019.

Carlton announced this week that Saturday's game against the Brisbane Lions would be Simpson's 342nd and final game for the club.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Have hated Carlton with a passion since our rivalry from way back, them being a rabble has given me whole lot of joy.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I like Eddie a lot, but do find this a bit surprising.

More Betts: Popular Blue to kick on at Carlton in 2021

Re-signing Betts in the first place wasn't a great move. By extending him for another year it sort of takes focus away from Butler running around in finals...

They don't actually have many veterans after the retirements of Simpson and Kreuzer. Betts, Murphy, Curnow, Casboult, Jones - next oldest is Nic Newman who's 28 in January, and there's talk Casboult might go also. Problem for Carlton is that the next group from Newman down to Plowman at 23yo, with a couple of exceptions, isn't strong. Most of the burden is on the shoulders of Charlie Curnow down.
Have hated Carlton with a passion since our rivalry from way back, them being a rabble has given me whole lot of joy.

I made the mistake of feeling a bit sorry for them during Pagan and early Ratten when our crowds against Carlton slumped. Never again!

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Re-signing Betts in the first place wasn't a great move. By extending him for another year it sort of takes focus away from Butler running around in finals...

They don't actually have many veterans after the retirements of Simpson and Kreuzer. Betts, Murphy, Curnow, Casboult, Jones - next oldest is Nic Newman who's 28 in January, and there's talk Casboult might go also. Problem for Carlton is that the next group from Newman down to Plowman at 23yo, with a couple of exceptions, isn't strong. Most of the burden is on the shoulders of Charlie Curnow down.

I made the mistake of feeling a bit sorry for them during Pagan and early Ratten when our crowds against Carlton slumped. Never again!

SOS may have left yet still they come.

Apparently Zak Williams preferred destination is Carlton under restricted free agency.

Actually might be the 1st decent GWS player they have picked up?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Apparently Zak Williams preferred destination is Carlton under restricted free agency.

Eh, Carlton just paid Jack Martin $1m for 12 great goals and paid McGovern nearly as much to attend the fat farm. Everyone knows a gig at Carlton is football's equivalent of a public service job.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014

If you throw enough darts at a dart board then one is eventually going to hit the board...