Looking Back Until 2022 Begins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Looking Back Until 2022 Begins!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
What about the 1980 semi-final???

It was an absolute ripper. Tiges knocked off minor premiers Catastrophies who then went out in straight sets against Hafey’s Pies. Highlight for me was Micky M wiping out Sam Newman who then helped him escape suspension at the Tribunal.

One week earlier we beat Percy Jones’s Cartoons at VFL Park. Best first quarter ever after witch-doctor Rudi Webster revved up our troops to knock over everything that moved in a navy blue jumper. Poor old Percy went off his nut at 1/4 time before TJ almost pushed him A over T in the chest. The atmosphere was incredible!

Watching live as we thrashed the Blues, Cats and then the Pies to win the flag in 1980 remains my greatest finals series memory.
Ripper game the 1980 2nd semi. KB kicked 8 straight

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Rewatched our 2019 win over Port lastnight when Tom kicked 6 and Jack Ross debuted.

Edit..... Sorry, half way through setting up this thread and one of me sausage fingers got in the way!

Basically was gonna ask what games do people watch in the off season?

Was going to do a poll of some description but I may stuff it up!
My favourite games to watch are any of the finals games against the Scats.

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Totally agree. I can't find that 1980 SF anywhere. It's been known that Ch 7 accidentally burnt tapes sometime in the 90s.
There is about 40 minutes in total of both 1980 QF and 2nd Semi in this video

Reactions: 1 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
How good are the rules and the umpiring in these games?
The first thing you notice in these old games is that there is no shepherding or blocking in marking contests. There is no chopping of arms either. The ball is kicked forward, a pack forms, some try to mark or spoil, others try to get front and centre. Nobody tries to keep players away from the ball.

Then you notice the consistency in decisions, probably because there is only one umpire. If a player didn’t quite hang on to a mark in the goal square but he paid it anyway, then he would pay those marks for the rest of the day.

This next point has nothing to do with umpiring but is all about coaching. A player about to be tackled often tapped the ball towards a team mate, or even to his own advantage. Now they take possession and dive onto the ground, hoping to force a stoppage.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The first thing you notice in these old games is that there is no shepherding or blocking in marking contests. There is no chopping of arms either. The ball is kicked forward, a pack forms, some try to mark or spoil, others try to get front and centre. Nobody tries to keep players away from the ball.

Then you notice the consistency in decisions, probably because there is only one umpire. If a player didn’t quite hang on to a mark in the goal square but he paid it anyway, then he would pay those marks for the rest of the day.

This next point has nothing to do with umpiring but is all about coaching. A player about to be tackled often tapped the ball towards a team mate, or even to his own advantage. Now they take possession and dive onto the ground, hoping to force a stoppage.

A player going for the ball gets grabbed and they get a free kick . . . bliss.

DS