LOVE THOSE OLD GAMES | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

LOVE THOSE OLD GAMES

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Been watching, in particular, some of our old games, plus some other games as well.

really enjoyed the round 12, 2010 against WC where Jack kicked 10 goals. It was fun to see Ben Nason with his dreadlocks flowing, kicking 3 goals.

Noticed that even then Dusty picked up votes, only 1 though. No tatts in those good old days.

Think it might have been Dimma's first year as coach.

Very enjoyable to see some of our current day players showing what they potentially would then show in the future.

Reactions: 6 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Important formative years, they were.

Unlike Melbourne, a club that embraced failure, I'd like to think it hardened the resolve of our blokes to put in the work required for sustained success.

And unlike Carlton, whose green shoots tended to die off as soon as they sprouted, even in the dark days of the early 2010s Tiger fans saw glimpses of play and individual skill that provided us with genuine optimism.

And unlike Essendon, we never felt so entitled to success that we just expected it would happen.

Thank goodness we stuck fat with the blokes who would take us to the promised land, and that they stuck fat with us.

Reactions: 5 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I recall very early Dusty kicking diagonally from HBF corner of centre square to HFF to a running player who did not break stride despite a close checking opponent on his hammer. Our player was the only one who was ever going to mark it. Was my first wow moment. Never thought there would so many many more.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Foxtel had the Western Bulldogs v Richmond game from 2001 on recently.
The Knights/Libba revenge game. Tigers exacted revenge and made the finals, sending the Doggies out of the 8.
I thought to myself both those teams would be detroyed by the current Tigers team. They wouldn't get within 50points.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Love watching the old games. Just recently got through watching the 2017 finals series and this arvo watched the 2019 prelim to see just how good these players of yesteryear were.
Planning on having a quiet peep at the 2019 Granny tomorra. Recollections are a bit vague as I spent the second n third qtrs getting punted out the door then riding the rails, ( *smile* imbecile :oops::eek:).

5SKULL5

Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Love watching the old games. Just recently got through watching the 2017 finals series and this arvo watched the 2019 prelim to see just how good these players of yesteryear were.
Planning on having a quiet peep at the 2019 Granny tomorra. Recollections are a bit vague as I spent the second n third qtrs getting punted out the door then riding the rails, ( *smile* imbecile :oops::eek:).
I nearly got turfed out at the start of the last qtr in the 2017 GF.
2 cops came up the stairs to survey the crowd, and were right in front of me for 2 whole minutes. I cracked it as they pretended not to hear me.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Is that the one where Knighers left the field with blood everywhere?
Yep.... he was a full on *smile* that day Liberatore ..... Made my *smile* blood boil when Miller went and got Wallace 3yrs later! NFI

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I nearly got turfed out at the start of the last qtr in the 2017 GF.
2 cops came up the stairs to survey the crowd, and were right in front of me for 2 whole minutes. I cracked it as they pretended not to hear me.
Bastards are pretty good at standing smack bang in the way n surveying the crowds for exuberant behaviour. Need to keep it fairly tidy but if one or two fans give them a polite enough " Oi move *smile*, I paid good money to watch this " they generally shuffle off.

5SKULL5

Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
Bastards are pretty good at standing smack bang in the way n surveying the crowds for exuberant behaviour. Need to keep it fairly tidy but if one or two fans give them a polite enough " Oi move *smile*, I paid good money to watch this " they generally shuffle off.
Admittedly it was a little more than "oi" more like "move away you idiots".

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Yesterday I watched the Geelong v Essendon game from days gone past.

Did not take note of the year or round but what a cracking game.

It was fast with high scoring and some good skills.

Begs the question, why are the powers that be so intent of changing the rules every year?

There was a huge crowd with Salmon for Essendon kicking a bag, and Gary Ablett with something like 11 goals to 3/4 time.

Much as I dislike both those teams, have to admit it was a game well worth watching.

Not too many frees either, the umps let the game flow.

So, I ask again what was wrong with the game from those days that needed changing?

No doubt some will have reasons why!!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Nostalgia is great, I love that period of footy as well.

But players change, tactics change, game plans change.

Even if the rules hadn't changed since the 80s football would still look very different now.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Yesterday I watched the Geelong v Essendon game from days gone past.

Did not take note of the year or round but what a cracking game.

It was fast with high scoring and some good skills.

Begs the question, why are the powers that be so intent of changing the rules every year?

There was a huge crowd with Salmon for Essendon kicking a bag, and Gary Ablett with something like 11 goals to 3/4 time.

Much as I dislike both those teams, have to admit it was a game well worth watching.

Not too many frees either, the umps let the game flow.

So, I ask again what was wrong with the game from those days that needed changing?

No doubt some will have reasons why!!

This I imagine to which you refer @graystar1
Gary must've thought he was playing us that weekend!

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Current fitness levels and 2 way running at max speeds would leave players of that era for dead. That, plus evolving tactics, have been the main reasons the game has changed from that era.

Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Current fitness levels and 2 way running at max speeds would leave players of that era for dead. That, plus evolving tactics, have been the main reasons the game has changed from that era.
Are you sure about that Tass? They looked pretty fast and fit to me.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Are you sure about that Tass? They looked pretty fast and fit to me.
Columbian marching powder may have been more prevalent than was widely known at the time..... had a very close mate who was invited to the Brownlow during that era and said the *smile* house cubicles were extremely well attended and utilised not necessarily for which they were originally intended :rolleyes:

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
When watching old games, even from only 10-15 years ago, I love how when the ball goes out of bounds ( unless out on the full), the players just go back waiting for the ball to be thrown in, none of this appealing for deliberate *smile* that seems to happen 90% of the time these days

Reactions: 4 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Come what may the crowds were huge and they obviously enjoyed every minute.

My days back then at those older games were full of enjoyment as was everyone else there at the game.

Not sure why we have had to change rules every year!!

is it to keep you know who in a job?