LOVE THOSE OLD GAMES | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

LOVE THOSE OLD GAMES

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Columbian marching powder may have been more prevalent than was widely known at the time..... had a very close mate who was invited to the Brownlow during that era and said the *smile* house cubicles were extremely well attended and utilised not necessarily for which they were originally intended :rolleyes:
Was he suggesting that something not quite kosher was being used?

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Was he suggesting that something not quite kosher was being used?
There was no 'suggesting' involved. .... just said it was like the old 'open secret' thing, if you get my drift? Pre asada days etc. Easy to see why the AFL scoffed at Dale Lewis now.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I recall very early Dusty kicking diagonally from HBF corner of centre square to HFF to a running player who did not break stride despite a close checking opponent on his hammer. Our player was the only one who was ever going to mark it. Was my first wow moment. Never thought there would so many many more.

I’d love to go back and watch more old games.

Off memory, I can still picture some of those early moments with several of our young players, and remember wondering why less impressive kids at other clubs would often be rated higher in the media.

I suspect they came to the wrong conclusion because the were blinded by stats, particularly by the total possessions stat.

They’d always go to “Dusty averages 21 possessions a game, but Bryce Gibbs, yeah this guy is averaging 24 possessions a game, so I think he’s ahead of Dusty”.

But off memory, I feel like the other major cause of mistakenly undervaluing eventual premiership stars (even by our own supporters for this one) was overreacting to mistakes. Not just any mistake, as not as mistakes are equal - but a type of mistake that could be classified as an “ambitious mistake”.

Dusty, Rance, Houli, and Edwards come to mind when thinking of who made plenty of ambitious mistakes early days.

Dimma was firm about encouraging mistakes as long as they were trying to do the right thing.

Excellent coaching allowed them to get the most out of their natural creativity.

Some players, like Trent and Jack, seemingly never made mistakes, so they were obviously always premiership material, but GWS has proven you can never ever find enough of that kind of talent to be truly successful.

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Been watching, in particular, some of our old games, plus some other games as well.

really enjoyed the round 12, 2010 against WC where Jack kicked 10 goals. It was fun to see Ben Nason with his dreadlocks flowing, kicking 3 goals.
First game I ever took my son to in Melbourne. What a great day that was.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Columbian marching powder may have been more prevalent than was widely known at the time..... had a very close mate who was invited to the Brownlow during that era and said the *smile* house cubicles were extremely well attended and utilised not necessarily for which they were originally intended :rolleyes:
Free individually wrapped Kool Mints like in the Qantas club??

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Yesterday I watched the Geelong v Essendon game from days gone past.

Did not take note of the year or round but what a cracking game.

It was fast with high scoring and some good skills.

Begs the question, why are the powers that be so intent of changing the rules every year?

There was a huge crowd with Salmon for Essendon kicking a bag, and Gary Ablett with something like 11 goals to 3/4 time.

Much as I dislike both those teams, have to admit it was a game well worth watching.

Not too many frees either, the umps let the game flow.

So, I ask again what was wrong with the game from those days that needed changing?

No doubt some will have reasons why!!
Richmond didnt win often enough , I hated that era

Reactions: 1 users

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
I was going through some old stuff in my home and found that I had a lot of RFC games on VHS tape, going right back to the late eighties. I used to tape all of our games on channel 7 and keep the winning games. Unfortunately, I don't have a working VHS player any more, so maybe one day I'll get the VHS games converted over to DVD, which is possible apparently. Of note, the first six games of 1995 are great, when we were on a charge.

Reactions: 2 users

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
I’d love to go back and watch more old games.

Off memory, I can still picture some of those early moments with several of our young players, and remember wondering why less impressive kids at other clubs would often be rated higher in the media.

I suspect they came to the wrong conclusion because the were blinded by stats, particularly by the total possessions stat.

They’d always go to “Dusty averages 21 possessions a game, but Bryce Gibbs, yeah this guy is averaging 24 possessions a game, so I think he’s ahead of Dusty”.

But off memory, I feel like the other major cause of mistakenly undervaluing eventual premiership stars (even by our own supporters for this one) was overreacting to mistakes. Not just any mistake, as not as mistakes are equal - but a type of mistake that could be classified as an “ambitious mistake”.

Dusty, Rance, Houli, and Edwards come to mind when thinking of who made plenty of ambitious mistakes early days.

Dimma was firm about encouraging mistakes as long as they were trying to do the right thing.

Excellent coaching allowed them to get the most out of their natural creativity.

Some players, like Trent and Jack, seemingly never made mistakes, so they were obviously always premiership material, but GWS has proven you can never ever find enough of that kind of talent to be truly successful.
My other great love in life, Liverpool FC abide by boss Jurgen Klopp's recruiting philosophy of 1. No dickheads. 2. They must be able to significantly improve the group. 3. They don't play safe, even young kids promoted from the Academy, they want kids who a do'ers and triers amd risk takers not guys that settle for 'safe'.

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
I was going through some old stuff in my home and found that I had a lot of RFC games on VHS tape, going right back to the late eighties. I used to tape all of our games on channel 7 and keep the winning games. Unfortunately, I don't have a working VHS player any more, so maybe one day I'll get the VHS games converted over to DVD, which is possible apparently. Of note, the first six games of 1995 are great, when we were on a charge.
That was a great season. Expectations were low. It was just attacking play. Big win against north. Another game later in the season was the win against the eagles at Optus oval. No Richo.

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
Been watching, in particular, some of our old games, plus some other games as well.

really enjoyed the round 12, 2010 against WC where Jack kicked 10 goals. It was fun to see Ben Nason with his dreadlocks flowing, kicking 3 goals.

Noticed that even then Dusty picked up votes, only 1 though. No tatts in those good old days.

Think it might have been Dimma's first year as coach.

Very enjoyable to see some of our current day players showing what they potentially would then show in the future.
that was a brilliant game
you knew in the first quarter we were on
i like that game because im in the footage especially when Jack got his 10th

No left foot

Tiger Rookie
Aug 30, 2020
That was a great season. Expectations were low. It was just attacking play. Big win against north. Another game later in the season was the win against the eagles at Optus oval. No Richo.
I was at that Princes Park game. The tiny coaching box for the away team was in the outer just at the back of the seats on the lower level. I was a few metres in front. When tiges got on top in the last I turned and smiled at Malthouse after a goal, he glanced back. Next goal I smiled at him and he gave me the death stare. Third time I turned and he was ready and mouthed f*** off at me. Made my day.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
I was at that Princes Park game. The tiny coaching box for the away team was in the outer just at the back of the seats on the lower level. I was a few metres in front. When tiges got on top in the last I turned and smiled at Malthouse after a goal, he glanced back. Next goal I smiled at him and he gave me the death stare. Third time I turned and he was ready and mouthed f*** off at me. Made my day.
Priceless. Especially when we didn’t expect to win those games. Never won many games at Optus oval.

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
that was a brilliant game
you knew in the first quarter we were on
i like that game because im in the footage especially when Jack got his 10th
Another great game. There wouldn’t be many current Afl players who have kicked 10 goals in a game.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
One of the observations I make is that there seemed to be no problem with the goal umpire's decisions.

Wonder about the review system we have today. Some of the referrals I have seen must have been obvious to the goal umpire, so why refer?

Also noticed that almost in every game I have watched the preferred option was to immediately play on.

Plus, there were always excellent crowds at the games I have watched, so obviously fans wanted to see those games and enjoy them.

My thoughts for this Jan. the 5th.

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
One of the observations I make is that there seemed to be no problem with the goal umpire's decisions.

Wonder about the review system we have today. Some of the referrals I have seen must have been obvious to the goal umpire, so why refer?

Also noticed that almost in every game I have watched the preferred option was to immediately play on.

Plus, there were always excellent crowds at the games I have watched, so obviously fans wanted to see those games and enjoy them.

My thoughts for this Jan. the 5th.
There is a lot more scrutiny these days with replays and all the different camera angles. The one I don’t like today is when they go to a review for a touched kick ball in mid air. It can be very difficult to determine even with numerous replays.
I agree in the older games that there was more play on and kick to a contest. No kicking the ball backwards. And a lot more scoring.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Just watched the 2008 round 13 game against Port which we just won.

What a beautiful left foot, one of my favourite players, Joel Bowden had.

Hardly ever missed a target.

Boy, we did our best to lose it with all that short kicking in the backline with still 5 or 6 minutes to go.

Funny to see Cotchin and Reiwoldt statting their careers, they looked so raw and young, which of course they were.

Noted Robbie Gray was also in the mix and still playing. Big scores and how fast was Matty White?

What happened to Cleve after that game? Did he play some more or what happened to him. He just seemed to drop off the radar.