Low score | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Low score

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Apart from the dismal Suns, both the Tigers and Blues had the lowest scores this weekend.
Not sure what to make of that, but 8 goals apiece is not awe inspiring.
What was the reason I wonder?
Defences too good or lack of good forward work?
Don't know, but I'm sure some armchair critics on here will have the answers.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Apart from the dismal Suns, both the Tigers and Blues had the lowest scores this weekend.
The reason - defence was good but our forward entries terrible

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
The game was a replica of the Collingwood draw during Covid
No Team had the balls to go.
They sat back with a defensive mode all night.
We went in the 1st qtr we shouldve been 4 goals up and same in the 3rd.
The biggest issue I saw AGAIN is that we aren't super fit.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
We dont have many scoring options in the forward line
Apart from Lynch theres no one that can trouble the opposition by taking at least 2 overhead marks
66 inside 50s for total score of 58 points is underwhelming

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
We had 66 inside 50’s which was equal highest with Essendon for the round. We also laid 70 tackles which was third highest for the round behind WC (72) and Sydney (80).

For all the bitching and moaning around here (and there has been plenty of it), Thursday night was probably the most “Richmond” game we’ve played since 2020.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I think it was a mix of a few things. Carlton played a largely defensive mindset, they flooded back, which didn't help the ball movement. We would then lock it in and largely players from both teams weren't allowed to spread which created a heavily congested forward line.

Our kicking was also pretty poor going inside 50, we regularly kicked to the advantage of the defender (several on here have missed this and blamed it on the forwards).

We controlled the game and I think they knew that but were ahead. Carlton being ahead impacted the quality of the contest, they tried to flood and stop us scoring rather than attacking. Was a strange gameplan being as they have 2 of the best forwards in the game.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Apart from Lynch theres no one that can trouble the opposition by taking at least 2 overhead marks

Thats rubbish. We have 1 of most potent forward lines in the comp and being the highest scoring team last season proves that too. We haven't suddenly lost all ability to score.

Do you realise we actually had 11 marks inside 50 to their 5. The problem was out ball use not our forwards.

Theres a lot of victim blaming of our forward line on this forum, when the root cause was further up the ground. I highly doubt our midfield would be happy with their ball use inside 50.

Reactions: 4 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
The game was a replica of the Collingwood draw during Covid
No Team had the balls to go.
They sat back with a defensive mode all night.
We went in the 1st qtr we shouldve been 4 goals up and same in the 3rd.
The biggest issue I saw AGAIN is that we aren't super fit.
Disagree. I thought we were the fitter of the two teams but butchered our forward entries. Our “expected score” was 77 points. The game also was amongst the top two or three contested games of the round, unlike some of the others that were glorified circle work with no pressure.
we will be better for the contested work.

Reactions: 3 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Bloke called Cumberland might have helped with that! Just saying...

Reactions: 1 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Thats rubbish. We have 1 of most potent forward lines in the comp and being the highest scoring team last season proves that too. We haven't suddenly lost all ability to score.

Do you realise we actually had 11 marks inside 50 to their 5. The problem was out ball use not our forwards.

Theres a lot of victim blaming of our forward line on this forum, when the root cause was further up the ground. I highly doubt our midfield would be happy with their ball use inside 50.
Don’t care about last season it’s 2023 I’m talking about
We had an equal high 66 inside 50s we scored 58pts whereas Bummers scored 124pts
We only had 2 multiple goal scorers Lynch Rioli
Our only tall Lynch is having 3defenders hanging off him at every opportunity We need another tall marking option to take a defender away from Lynch. They’re not bothering about Jack
With so many forward entries we should have crushed Carlscum but we could only manage a draw
We need to pick players that are forwards our goal should be to kick 100pts per game
IMO the game has evolved and we’re still trying to play same style of footy we played 3 years ago and it won’t work

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
We had an equal high 66 inside 50s we scored 58pts whereas Bummers scored 124pts
Our only tall Lynch is having 3defenders hanging off him at every opportunity We need another tall marking option to take a defender away from Lynch. They’re not bothering about Jack
With so many forward entries we should have crushed Carlscum but we could only manage a draw
We need to pick players that are forwards our goal should be to kick 100pts per game
IMO the game has evolved and we’re still trying to play same style of footy we played 3 years ago and it won’t work
Game hasn’t evolved as much as you think.

Defense still wins premierships and defensively we were back to 2020 levels against Carlton. The forward line will sort itself out in due course.

I also wouldn’t be looking to Essendon as an example of anything other than being gifted an easy draw. They laid a paltry 37 tackles and let Haethorn inside 50 49 times. Unless they improve their defense significantly they will get destroyed by the better teams come June, July.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Young was on Jack for pretty much the entire game, not sure what game were you watching or are you another 1 of the TV watchers bashing Jack because you only see a small segment of the game??

The ball use inside 50 was deplorable by us. I doubt we can be that bad again. Don't compare us to the Bummers, there was so much space in that game it was unbelievable at time, probably the least contested game all weekend, whereas we probably had the most contested, and also the most congested game as Carltons gameplan was to flood their defence and then spread. Their defence was a big part of why we moved the ball so poorly inside 50 as there wasn't a lot of space.

The personnel in the forward line weren't the problem on Thursday night.

Reactions: 1 users