Lowlife of the week award. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lowlife of the week award.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Panthera Tigris said:
Don't know where you read that in my comments MD.

Shock horror, yes I was smacked as a child. Not excessively, but the threat was there for the most abhorrent behaviour. Despite misguided wisdom, it didn't turn me into a violent person. Quite the opposite actually. Pretty much I was taught to mind my own business, leave people be, keep my hands to myself. But if you didn't abide by the principals of leaving people be and keeping your hands to yourself, you knew full well any physical retribution coming your way was absolutely deserved. Particularly in the instance of picking on people less powerful (both physically and socially) than oneself (men abusing women being a prime example).

As a result, I have never started a fight, have never EVER so much as thought of raising a hand to, or inappropriately touching or talking to women etc. But yes, it's no surprise I absolutely did get caught retaliating to bullies at school on numerous occasions, despite knowing full well the person retaliating will get caught more often than not. Teachers weren't that stupid though. They know who the pricks are.

So you condone the threat of physical violence, as long as the perpetrator deserves it. (according to your behaviour scale).

I imagine many men and women feel similarly justified in using violent intimidation to control their partners/children for behaviour they deem inappropriate (according to their behaviour scale) - such as a partner talking to another man, a child crying excessively.....and the smacks start as a little tap but easily progress to someone stronger and more sinister.

Personally, I find anyone using the threat of physical intimidation abhorrent.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
MD Jazz said:
So you condone the threat of physical violence, as long as the perpetrator deserves it. (according to your behaviour scale).

I imagine many men and women feel similarly justified in using violent intimidation to control their partners/children for behaviour they deem inappropriate (according to their behaviour scale) - such as a partner talking to another man, a child crying excessively.....and the smacks start as a little tap but easily progress to someone stronger and more sinister.

I'll give you an example MD. I'll never forget as a little kid a very early lesson after hitting my younger brother. I might have been about 7 or 8. I copped a swift couple across the backside and then made to sit in the naughty corner. Once all had calmed down, I was asked. "That wasn't nice being hit was it?" My obvious answer, "No." The response, "Well don't hit other people. Even more so not your little brother, he's smaller than you and needs you to look after him." NEVER did it again.

If that makes us abhorrent, violent barbarians amongst the arrogant, morally superior virtue signalers, so be it. I'm confident we are decent functioning members of society with sound values of what constitutes right and wrong ways of treating people. And I'll add, I didn't shed too many tears when Jill Meagher's murderer, Adrian Bailey was attacked in jail. Nor Brett Cowan, the murdering child sexual predator, found guilty of abducting and murdering Daniel Morcombe.

Pretty simple lesson really - do nasty, sinister things to others, one deserves nasty, sinister things in return. Treat people respectfully and nicely, one deserves the same in return.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
TigerForce said:
Even Caro says something about Burke. Gary Sweet from a female on-air colleague......it's all happening.

Geoffrey Rush now.....the list is building...

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Panthera Tigris said:
I'll give you an example MD. I'll never forget as a little kid a very early lesson after hitting my younger brother. I might have been about 7 or 8. I copped a swift couple across the backside and then made to sit in the naughty corner. Once all had calmed down, I was asked. "That wasn't nice being hit was it?" My obvious answer, "No." The response, "Well don't hit other people. Even more so not your little brother, he's smaller than you and needs you to look after him." NEVER did it again.

If that makes us abhorrent, violent barbarians amongst the arrogant, morally superior virtue signalers, so be it. I'm confident we are decent functioning members of society with sound values of what constitutes right and wrong ways of treating people. And I'll add, I didn't shed too many tears when Jill Meagher's murder Adrian Bailey was attacked in jail. Nor Brett Cowan, the murdering child sexual predator, found guilty of abducting and murdering Daniel Morcombe.

Pretty simple lesson really - do nasty, sinister things to others, one deserves nasty sinister things in return. Treat people respectfully and nicely, one deserves the same in return.

Your childhood sounds very similar to mine and how you have dealt with people in adulthood sounds very similar to my own circumstance.

As a dad now (my kids are 7 and 9) the threat of a smack is there, don't normaly have to do it, but a lot of non-parents don't get the reason for smacking. There is no intent to want to hurt someone (in the vast majority of cases) but more to control and teach. That may not suit all people who do not believe you should control anyone, but show me a child that has received no control as a child and show me how they dealt with adulthood. Unfortunately we are seeing that now, with many young adults who think there is very little consequence of their poor actions because they were never punished when things went wrong.

Just as an aside, I was never smacked (nor have ever punished my children) for incessane crying, whinging etc. Its when they have actually done something WRONG that they need to be disciplined as in your case of hitting your younger brother. There are obviously people that take discipline of children way way too far but I would expect these to be the exception rather than the rule.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrities-gone-bad/bizarre-sexual-life-don-burkes-most-skincrawling-clip-yet/news-story/63322b7d8c313d582995a51ba5070bd4

I actually vaguely remember seeing this when it aired as a 12 or 13 YO. Even then, thinking to myself......yeah that's kind of a bit weird...... :headscratch

Makes you wonder, how long and hard did dirty Don search for such phallic themed material for a gardening show? :eek:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Panthera Tigris said:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrities-gone-bad/bizarre-sexual-life-don-burkes-most-skincrawling-clip-yet/news-story/63322b7d8c313d582995a51ba5070bd4

I actually vaguely remember seeing this when it aired as a 12 or 13 YO. Even then, thinking to myself......yeah that's kind of a bit weird...... :headscratch

Makes you wonder, how long and hard did dirty Don search for such phallic themed material for a gardening show? :eek:

Right at the age of puberty PT. ;D

I wonder what that woman was thinking....

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
MD Jazz said:

I agree that using violence to control anyone is disgraceful and cowardly.
Having said that i'm not against anyone giving their child a smack in the right circumstances. I was smacked as a kid, but only after i had ran out of warnings. I wasn't punched or flogged, i got a smack on the bum. I don't hate my dad for it, i love him for it. It wasn't done out of anger, it was done in a thoughtful way. On most occasions i was told to go to garage " i'll be their shortly". Sometimes i got a smack, and sometimes i got told to pull my head in, ie a good talking to.
I have since done the same and consider it a form of education.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
tigerman said:
I agree that using violence to control anyone is disgraceful and cowardly.
Having said that i'm not against anyone giving their child a smack in the right circumstances. I was smacked as a kid, but only after i had ran out of warnings. I wasn't punched or flogged, i got a smack on the bum. I don't hate my dad for it, i love him for it. It wasn't done out of anger, it was done in a thoughtful way. On most occasions i was told to go to garage " i'll be their shortly". Sometimes i got a smack, and sometimes i got told to pull my head in, ie a good talking to.
I have since down the same and consider it a form of education.

I thought like that - until I had kids.

There is no way in hell I could hit them.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Giardiasis said:
Are you a pacifist MDJ, is violence never justified?

Self defence is fine.

The odd water cannon and rubber bullets on protestors can be pretty effective too.

loto

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 6, 2004
Midsy said:
Are you allowed to pay a woman a compliment now?
Not seeing the relevance of that observation in relation to Don Burke. Which one of his reported comments would you think women should regard as a compliment?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Panthera Tigris said:

so you were taught not to hit someone smaller than you who you are meant to look after by being hit by someone bigger than you who is meant to look after you?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
TigerForce said:
Right at the age of puberty PT. ;D

I wonder what that woman was thinking....

Yes, their demeanour and the way they were talking was rather odd......nearly like they were both playing along to give it a double meaning. Can only imagine what dirty Don said off camera!

Brodders17 said:
so you were taught not to hit someone smaller than you who you are meant to look after by being hit by someone bigger than you who is meant to look after you?

::)
No. Demonstrated in clear practical terms that it doesn't feel nice being hit, so don't hit other people. Pretty simple message really. It was my parents and grandparents job to teach and teach they did. Although that may confuse some well meaning, yet naive and misguided souls, it certainly didn't confuse a 7 or 8YO me. The message was crystal clear.

And even more, the general message was that hitting is wrong, but picking on people at a physical disadvantage to oneself (be it, smaller, younger people, women/girls, elderly etc) is even more distasteful. This I suppose was the chivalrous mindset of my grandparents generation (which was also passed to my mother). Like I eluded to earlier, if I had raised a hand to, or acted in a lewd, distasteful manner towards girls/women, I can only imagine what this would have been met with, by my family! Such behaviour was unquestionably taboo and dishonorable in our conservative upbringing.

I reiterate, basic principals were, leave people be, keep your hands to yourself, treat people nicely and respectfully. If I didn't abide by these principles, and acted in a nasty and sinister nature to others, don't sook if retribution comes my way, as I would be deserving of it.

As a result, I've never started a fight, never bullied people, never so much as thought of raising a hand to, or acting lewdly, or inappropriately around girls/women, never stolen from others, hold my wife and two children up on a pedestal as absolutely as the most important people in my world who deserve my utmost protection. And believe in the utmost respect and protections for the vulnerable of our society - the elderly, children, disabled etc. Although in my school days I did get caught retaliating to bullies. If these principles make me an uncouth barbarian, so be it. I'm confident in the knowledge that I am a respectful, functioning member of society.

Now as an extension on this. If you were to ask most members of my family (with this conservative upbringing) if we believed in a principal like capital punishment for the most abhorrent crimes - such as multiple murderers, pedophile murderers, aggravated murderers, serial violent rapists/rapist murderers etc. Unsurprisingly, we'd all probably say in theory, yes, we absolutely don't have a problem with such a punishment. But in practice, we are considered enough to realise that there will never be such a thing as a perfectly accurate justice system (so it is possible to execute an innocent person), therefore you can't really do it. Again, if having nothing but outright disgust and contempt for people who act in nasty and sinister ways (and by extension, believe they deserve retribution that comes their way) makes us uncouth barbarians in the eyes of some, so be it.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
loto said:
Not seeing the relevance of that observation in relation to Don Burke. Which one of his reported comments would you think women should regard as a compliment?

Nothing to do with Burke, just a general observation.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Midsy said:
Nothing to do with Burke, just a general observation.

I've never noticed any observations that it's not ok to give a woman a compliment. What kind of things have you observed Midsy?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Why was my comment re: Geoffrey Rush deleted?

I bulk deleted a few posts. I don't appreciate waking in the morning to posts containing the f and c words waiting for approval. I also don't appreciate posts baiting other site members. I gave you the option to remove the moderated action. You in return made conditions or "the agreement entered into is void". The only agreement here is to abide by the site rules. Most people don't have issues with that. Most of your posts have been approved just the same.