Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Everybody starts somewhere !!

Lets hope the people who are incharge of promoting him believe he is the best person available to take our team foward and he becomes the best in the game.
This. He might become the best or the worst. Let's see and hopefully the former.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Soft cap has now been increased. Extra $1m or thereabouts for upcoming season.
Depends on where club prioritises the funds.
I would have thought, after last years run with soft tissue injuries and inability to run out games, that they would direct them to sport science and performance
Maybe we should give " The Weapon" a call to see what his rates are

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
At the expense of the culture, leadership and mental development i.e. Emma Murray and Shane McCurry (these two are leaders in their field and we rightly invest more here than anyone) or getting assistants in like Ben Rutten and David Teague who would both be at the higher end?

When we have the above and also a senior coach who is one of the highest paid in the league, we can't pay top $$ everywhere and the above are our big investments. something then has to give.

Club has obviously thought the gap between Luke's ability and getting someone external wasn't worth the sacrifice somewhere like the above.

Time will tell if that is correct, but can understand the clubs logic.
All those you mention above are very important and were rightly in place. Unless they were salary sacrificing, I don’t think the extra cap relief will be distributed amongst current staff.
My understanding is that some cuts were made in player welfare and development so they might want to pad that out. Think Lambert might be an addition to our numbers if my fading memory serves me correctly. Rutten merely replaces Kingsley.
Peter Burge is a very senior performance manager with multiple premierships under his belt. He would have been on a very attractive salary so we would have had that to play with. They won’t be offering the same package to Luke Meehan so my argument is that they had good money to lure the very best and the increase in soft cap gave them further options.
They know Meehan well and obviously have full confidence in him so will hope he kills it and wish him well

Reactions: 7 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
They know Meehan well and obviously have full confidence in him so will hope he kills it and wish him well

Nothing wrong with giving the young guy a go by any means. There's no magicians working in this field, the knowledge about preparing the human body for elite sport is shared by everyone and there is very little variation in what anyone does.

He will be just as equipped for the job as anyone, most of the challenge is to form relationships with the players which will have them buy in to what he asks them to do, and live professionally outside of the club environment.

And as I always say he will prepare the players thoroughly, do everything possible to set them up for success and then sit back and hope like hell they don't get injured.

Reactions: 8 users

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Nothing wrong with giving the young guy a go by any means. There's no magicians working in this field, the knowledge about preparing the human body for elite sport is shared by everyone and there is very little variation in what anyone does.

He will be just as equipped for the job as anyone, most of the challenge is to form relationships with the players which will have them buy in to what he asks them to do, and live professionally outside of the club environment.

And as I always say he will prepare the players thoroughly, do everything possible to set them up for success and then sit back and hope like hell they don't get injured.
Agree and disagree.

I've worked in the field, and done it at multiple clubs, and while the information we all read is generally the same or fairly similar, the applications and stances taken on training modalities can vary wildly.

One club I was at the high performance manager believed in longer duration running (as an example), another preferred physical size in the gym (a very powerlifted style strength program) and another again believed that conditioning should be from within drills and players only ran at the end if they didnt get their required distances.

Luke is very capable, and a strong relationship builder (key), but the big thing is the still need to replace the work of Rob Inness

Reactions: 7 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Agree and disagree.

I've worked in the field, and done it at multiple clubs, and while the information we all read is generally the same or fairly similar, the applications and stances taken on training modalities can vary wildly.

One club I was at the high performance manager believed in longer duration running (as an example), another preferred physical size in the gym (a very powerlifted style strength program) and another again believed that conditioning should be from within drills and players only ran at the end if they didnt get their required distances.

Luke is very capable, and a strong relationship builder (key), but the big thing is the still need to replace the work of Rob Inness

D85, what is the difference between what Luke will do & what Rob Innes did/does? Please.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
D85, what is the difference between what Luke will do & what Rob Innes did/does? Please.
Different roles, so wont be a fair comparison. Luke a good, not going to lose anything in the promotion at all

Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Agree and disagree.

D85, has the advent of GPS monitoring smoothed out the variations in fitness programs from club to club? Luke Meehan in an interview stated he had changed his approach from what he did in past years due to depth of data from GPS

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
It's definitely evolved it, but you still get some who value higher loadings and pure running, and others who value burst repeat sprinting and getting conditioning from drills. All depends on the interpretations of the science and the data by whoever is looking at it. It's probably a lot more similar across the board than it was 10 years ago, but there's still some slight variations.

The quality and type of data the current GPS units provide are FAR superior to what we had when I was first entering the industry, now you can get such specific breakdowns of individual speed zones, where they have done their running on field, when they've been standing still, etc. Being able to individualise during the week has probably been the biggest thing GPS has done across clubs, theres just so much information there that helps the training during the week

Reactions: 1 users