Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
It's definitely evolved it, but you still get some who value higher loadings and pure running, and others who value burst repeat sprinting and getting conditioning from drills. All depends on the interpretations of the science and the data by whoever is looking at it. It's probably a lot more similar across the board than it was 10 years ago, but there's still some slight variations.

The quality and type of data the current GPS units provide are FAR superior to what we had when I was first entering the industry, now you can get such specific breakdowns of individual speed zones, where they have done their running on field, when they've been standing still, etc. Being able to individualise during the week has probably been the biggest thing GPS has done across clubs, theres just so much information there that helps the training during the week
Then you’ve got the Head Coach’s input.
Their footprint impacts across all departments.
The relationship that Hardwick has with Meehan will be very important. Mutual respect will be vital.
Luke will need to stand his ground at times.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Agree and disagree.

I've worked in the field, and done it at multiple clubs, and while the information we all read is generally the same or fairly similar, the applications and stances taken on training modalities can vary wildly.

One club I was at the high performance manager believed in longer duration running (as an example), another preferred physical size in the gym (a very powerlifted style strength program) and another again believed that conditioning should be from within drills and players only ran at the end if they didnt get their required distances.

That's essentially what I'm saying as well, everyone is working towards the same set of markers and within a handful of accepted strategies to get there, the age of the secret recipe is over.

I think the avalanche of data you talk about has really taken away the art of the sports science guys and girls, I'm old enough to remember when they worked more on instincts and opinion than data and that really used to seperate the talent.

It's definitely evolved it, but you still get some who value higher loadings and pure running, and others who value burst repeat sprinting and getting conditioning from drills. All depends on the interpretations of the science and the data by whoever is looking at it. It's probably a lot more similar across the board than it was 10 years ago, but there's still some slight variations.

The quality and type of data the current GPS units provide are FAR superior to what we had when I was first entering the industry, now you can get such specific breakdowns of individual speed zones, where they have done their running on field, when they've been standing still, etc. Being able to individualise during the week has probably been the biggest thing GPS has done across clubs, theres just so much information there that helps the training during the week

I'm old enough to remember when you couldn't get any data from Docklands when the roof was shut and there were plenty of players who had that as their favourite ground accordingly. The concern I have no is the data is so prevalent that I've no doubt players play to the GPS at times.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
The relationship that Hardwick has with Meehan will be very important. Mutual respect will be vital.
Luke will need to stand his ground at times.

It will be a great relationship while everyone is fit and healthy, and progressively strained if they are not. That's pretty much the way it works all the time.

Reactions: 3 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
If a player changes clubs, can they take their data with them? What will we know about Hopper and Taranto?

Reactions: 1 users

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
That's essentially what I'm saying as well, everyone is working towards the same set of markers and within a handful of accepted strategies to get there, the age of the secret recipe is over.

I think the avalanche of data you talk about has really taken away the art of the sports science guys and girls, I'm old enough to remember when they worked more on instincts and opinion than data and that really used to seperate the talent.

I'm old enough to remember when you couldn't get any data from Docklands when the roof was shut and there were plenty of players who had that as their favourite ground accordingly. The concern I have no is the data is so prevalent that I've no doubt players play to the GPS at times.
The coaching element is still important, being able to connect with the players and other staff. Certainly saw a lot of people come into the industry who had all the qualifications in the world but had no people skills and couldnt make real time judgment calls, they would tend to have short careers.

The data accessibility has taken some of the guesswork out of it, but the ones who last longest in the industry are the ones who connect with the athletes the best

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
I reckon theres players get their top speeds up running to the bench
You used to be able to not tell the difference, but now with the tracking data you can eliminate that from the information you get. Poor Matt White, he was elite at his bench sprinting back in the day

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
You used to be able to not tell the difference, but now with the tracking data you can eliminate that from the information you get. Poor Matt White, he was elite at his bench sprinting back in the day
By the references to Meehan and White, I'm guessing you spent a little bit of time in yellow and black at some point?
Not saying you're there now, but at a wild guess.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Still kicking him whilst he’s down?
All class
Never met him so cant be kicking him , Maybe you should accept it for what it is Stack is and was lazy

You certainly seem to take any negative comments about SS personally , He is a player that didnt want it even though he had double the talent than most on the list

Last edited:

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Never met him so cant be kicking him , Maybe you should accept it for what it is Stack is and was lazy

You certainly seem to take any negative comments about SS personally , He is a player that didnt want it even though he had double the talent than most on the list
I just wish you had something remotely interesting to contribute instead of sniping a player who has been delisted.
You obviously haven’t got much else going on

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I just wish you had something remotely interesting to contribute instead of sniping a player who has been delisted.
You obviously haven’t got much else going on
Now lets get back to your insinuations about me "sniping" players (apart from stacks training is there a player that i have had a go at ?)

I have always maintained SS talent and potential being top end and constantly posted about his lack of work ethic and ability to conform to team standards whilst you have backed him unconditionally for over 12 months , But now as a posted months ago he has been delisted and no team has touched him because of the exact reasons i have posted about.

Now get off your high horse and accept you were WRONG and move on

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Now lets get back to your insinuations about me "sniping" players (apart from stacks training is there a player that i have had a go at ?)

I have always maintained SS talent and potential being top end and constantly posted about his lack of work ethic and ability to conform to team standards whilst you have backed him unconditionally for over 12 months , But now as a posted months ago he has been delisted and no team has touched him because of the exact reasons i have posted about.

Now get off your high horse and accept you were WRONG and move on
Me move on?
Are the mirrors in your house all broken?
You’ve got to let it go. Maybe get some help?

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Never seen a bloke knacker himself running to the bench the way Whitey did. None better at it.
Should have sent him to race in the 100m at the Olympics. Just put a dugout and a phone at the end of his lane. He'd have knocked Usain Bolt over to take that call, no worries.

• Haha

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Any Chance you may be able to link that to Sydney Stacks Tik Tok
Bit late now.

Don't need another bunch of campaigners getting the best from Stackman on the footy field it will boil my pisss.

That said I wish him success and fulfillment, so I hope he cracks it big with his other desires then we dont have to watch another club benefit from our loss.