Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
It blows me away that nearly without fail these days we destroy or at least outlast the opposition coming down the stretch. Whilst a lot can be put down to coaching and mental strength of our players a huge amount of credit should be given to Peter Burge and the conditioning team.
Reading Yellow & Black you get a great sense that Peter came in to the club and saw that things needed to change and it was going to be his way or the highway. St Kilda players didn't buy into his philosophy ;D but Richmond players did, although he did have to integrate on a gradual basis as he didn't want to lose the players as it was a confronting and demanding change.
He is anal in a good way, the data he collects and his views on conditioning and where he wants to take it is unique if not maybe ground breaking? I reckon he is only at about 8 o'clock on his own Premiership clock on where he wants to get this group.

Reactions: 1 user

pokey

Coffee never tasted so good
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
betterlifecoachingblog.com
Agree Caesar, he's done an amazing job.

The combination of his expertise, the drafting of great athletes and the discipline of the boys to look after their bodies has given us a significant competitive advantage.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Caesar this is the same topic I brought up in conversation after the GF win !

His team and the club should be lauded but also the professionalism of this group of players led by Cotchin, Rance & Jack!

The test will come in this next block of 4 games or so.

A balancing act of resting, rotating players and giving Nank a chop out will come.

I'm sure they are top of these issues and already started against Melb when the key players, midfielders especially the total time on the ground was measured and managed through the GPS stats.

Their test after this will be towards our finals compaign ( up to and games played ).

Depth, our VFL side playing well, having experienced assistants will help but ultimately it comes down to what Damien , Cotchin have developed within the group- Professionalism.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
it's the two sides of the coin here that gives us a massive edge.

1) we're running games out at a frenetic pace leaving our opponents standing still
2) the lack of soft tissue injuries we're getting

Whoever is behind this needs to be Knighted. I'm now glad we missed out on the Port guy who has now gone back to the UK.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I heard from a good source connected to the AFL (physio working with the umpires) that Richmond have a very strong sports medicine pathways program, where at anyone time there is an ongoing intern program for physios, chiros, sports science students, etc. that is massively oversubscribed and considered the best in the industry. The result is there is always a batch of students constantly monitoring the players, reviewing results, tailoring programs, etc. under the guidance of Peter Burge and his team. He said it is way ahead of any other club in Melbourne.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Amazing to think a few years back we threw the kitchen sink to get Darren Burgess to Richmond.
Port won that fight and had a great year with his first season at the club.

Now Darren Burgess left Port last year to go back to Uk to work with Arsenal.

All worked out in the end for us.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Baloo said:
it's the two sides of the coin here that gives us a massive edge.

1) we're running games out at a frenetic pace leaving our opponents standing still
2) the lack of soft tissue injuries we're getting

Whoever is behind this needs to be Knighted. I'm now glad we missed out on the Port guy who has now gone back to the UK.

Yep glad we have our own Guru!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
se7en said:
Amazing to think a few years back we threw the kitchen sink to get Darren Burgess to Richmond.
Port won that fight and had a great year with his first season at the club.

Now Darren Burgess left Port last year to go back to Uk to work with Arsenal.

All worked out in the end for us.

Didnt help the Gunners much though

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
craig said:
Didnt help the Gunners much though

:hihi

Funny how Kockie was singing his praises when he jumped on board.
Burgess put his resignation in with a year left on the contract and all hell broke.

Kockie hit the roof and threaten Burgess with legal action if he walked.
Threaten to sue him for loss revenue if Port didn't make the finals. ???

Now Port and Arsenal are best of buddies and work together on fitness.

Kockie is a full grade fwit if you haven't worked out already.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Rob Inness is a fantastic part of the team.

Went from S&C at Coburg, then we we started our own VFL team he went to that, the role he is in now is actually perfectly suited for him and his skill set.

Luke Meehan stepping over from rehab into the S&C role is also a great move for his skill and experience.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
If we get through upcoming back to back games at the rock hard grounds of Nth at Ethiad and WC at Perth stadium, (where all teams seem to be pulling up sore and incurring injuries), then our Performance and Recovery team legend will grow. Will be a dangerous period.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
We are lucky at these cricket pitches week in week out. Im sure there is a science behind it but I thought drainage/sand/soil/grass then watering would produce the same surface everywhere? I know some are laid on slabs (ie Ettihad) but would have thought by the time you layered it all up it would not be as different from ground to ground. I think the modern player is a little precious if you look at what the yesteryear player had to combat surface wise.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Unsung heroes in my opinion, when I look at GWS and how their players are managed I think we're well ahead of the game.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Tiger Pops said:
We are lucky at these cricket pitches week in week out. Im sure there is a science behind it but I thought drainage/sand/soil/grass then watering would produce the same surface everywhere? I know some are laid on slabs (ie Ettihad) but would have thought by the time you layered it all up it would not be as different from ground to ground. I think the modern player is a little precious if you look at what the yesteryear player had to combat surface wise.
Most grounds were moist n spongy during winter n players shuffled along at a jog walk rate for large periods of games. Far different from the burst sprinting on dry hard grounds that modern players do.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
There was a thread just after the grand final singing their praises, I said that they should have their contracts extended with a nice pay rise, I hope this has happened.