Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I was under the impression players voted on a captain every year, and Cotchin continued to win the yearly vote, or was this just for the leadership group around him?

Either way, I think we’ve got such a tight-knit group and culture that anyone would be embraced in the role by the players. A younger pick would be well-supported.

The captain-coach relationship implicates Dimma’s long-term coaching plans though.

A younger pick might be a positive indication that Dimma is already keen to coach through the next wave of talent after his current senior crop have retired, whereas a Shane Edwards-type pick might be an indication he still wants to wait and see. Dimma mightn’t yet know, whereas it seems Trent may soon be looking around for the next captain to mentor on his way out.

The ideal succession scenario is Trent feeling comfortable performing for another couple of years so there’s no rush. Sustained success and impressive youth are our best chance at keeping Dimma on for the next wave, so we need to continue winning premierships and develop a number of quality young leaders. Simple!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Back in 2012, when Newman gave plenty of notice that he would be relinquishing his captaincy after being appointed in 2009, perhaps most of us would’ve picked Trent on football ability, but in hindsight it was his values and the type of person he is that really made him a great captain.

We can’t split all these future leaders without knowing them up close pretty well.

I’d love to see Graham, Ross, or any other young guy with great values have a truly standout year like Trent did in 2012... but if not, we don’t need our next captain to be a Brownlow medallist, we just need them to be a quality leader.

We’ve certainly got plenty of those.
i don't reckon Brett would agree with the first statement!!

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
The story this morning about concussion and Shane Tuck is deeply disturbing. Surely now the AFL will insist the tribunal gets real with cases like Dangers (I believe deliberate) hit on NV.
In time the Shane Tuck research should also cause the AFL to consider some sort of licensing system to exercise greater control over the decision making around letting a player who has suffered from concussion, return to the game.
The story is on the channel 9 website, and for professional footballers is as big a story as is Covid.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Captain's polling on who from another club will win the Coleman.

8 Hawkins, 4 Dixon, 2 Cameron, 2 Daniher, 1 Papley, 1 Franklin.

Someone on here did once suggest our Tom isn't that popular with his opponents. :rolleyes:

True - but we spread the snags around these days so hard for any one forward to collect bags

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
AFL Captain's polling on who from another club will win the Coleman.

8 Hawkins, 4 Dixon, 2 Cameron, 2 Daniher, 1 Papley, 1 Franklin.

Someone on here did once suggest our Tom isn't that popular with his opponents. :rolleyes:
What! No Castagna!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
None of the AFL captains had Lynch winning the goal kicking this season

Who do you think will win the 2021 Coleman Medal?
8 – Tom Hawkins (Geelong)

4 – Charlie Dixon (Port Adelaide)

2 – Jeremy Cameron (Geelong), Joe Daniher (Brisbane Lions)

1 – Tom Papley (Sydney Swans), Lance Franklin (Sydney Swans)

How the hell can anyone vote Lynch below Daniher, Franklin?

• Wow

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013

They're morons?

Seriously, I'm tipping Tommy to have a very good year.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

I hope Joe the Goose does a Terry Keays on the Bears.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
How's he going?
Not quite back to his best by a long shot although was up against one of the comp's best key defenders in Weitering. Tom is also an elite player but the honours went to Weitering on the night for sure.
His work rate is there no doubt which Dimma would be happy with & it's is helping us win but my biggest concern tbh is that his contested marking seems to have deserted him a little. I notice he's still got strapping on that troublesome finger & I hope it's not going to continue to be an issue for him. Tom is at his best when he's crunching packs & clunking marks. Hopefully takes a step forward next week.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
How's he going?
Not quite back to his best by a long shot although was up against one of the comp's best key defenders in Weitering. Tom is also an elite player but the honours went to Weitering on the night for sure.
His work rate is there no doubt which Dimma would be happy with & it's is helping us win but my biggest concern tbh is that his contested marking seems to have deserted him a little. I notice he's still got strapping on that troublesome finger & I hope it's not going to continue to be an issue for him. Tom is at his best when he's crunching packs & clunking marks. Hopefully takes a step forward next week.
I thought he had a shocker to be honest. Dropped a lot of marks he should have taken and looked quite slow.

Hopefully he just needs time to build fitness and touch and in a few weeks will be back to this best.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
How's he going?
I think his finger might be still bothering, missed a couple of marks that he'd normally one grab.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Weitering did a number on him last year round 1 too from memory. Anyway not overly fussed - this bloke just needs to play a role now and be firing when it counts at the pointy end.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I thought he had a shocker to be honest. Dropped a lot of marks he should have taken and looked quite slow.

Hopefully he just needs time to build fitness and touch and in a few weeks will be back to this best.

Yes Chimpley Chumpley. Only 1 game however.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Umpires continue to crucify him.
Only has to breath near an opposition player to give away a free but never gets one in return.
No wonder he looks frustrated half the time

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Umpires continue to crucify him.
Only has to breath near an opposition player to give away a free but never gets one in return.
No wonder he looks frustrated half the time

Agree. The number of times I saw him running for the mark and his arm was held behind him by Weitering, not 1 of them was paid a hold. Poeple wonder why he's not clunking marks, difficult when you can't set yourselves with 2 arms to go for the ball.

Reactions: 1 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
He lowered his colours but without Lynchy, Jack doesn't kick 4. They are a duo and both will have their days. He played his role well, was always a physical threat and that's what he needs to bring when the mitts let him down and he's not hitting the scoreboard

Reactions: 6 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He lowered his colours but without Lynchy, Jack doesn't kick 4. They are a duo and both will have their days. He played his role well, was always a physical threat and that's what he needs to bring when the mitts let him down and he's not hitting the scoreboard
Toe-foot still giving him issues.
Not sure we should be playing him.