Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Whatever the reason for it is, this is something I have noticed. He seems to be playing much deeper in the forward line and not moving that much in any direction. Not sure if that is an injury issue or by design. I suspect the latter.

It does allow him to be double teamed or even triple teamed, but at the same time that in itself should create opportunity as long as there is pressure on the ball coming out of the forward line.

At the moment, I think things just aren't quite clicking. It remains to be seen though if this sort of tactic will actually work, and I guess if it is even a tactic at all.

He might be injured.

exactly, forward line is 10% off excluding jack. they will get their mojo back soon enough, tweak of tactics and they'll come good.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I understand Hardwick's spirited defence of Tom in his presser today - he needed to do that. i.e. He's been asked to play a role, it's a role that wins games if not individual glory and he's not going to kick a 60 goals in a season.

The only problem with that narrative is he did kick 63 goals in 2019 coming off a major knee injury (and no pre-season) and his current lack of form his obvious to the casual observer - irrespective the role he is playing.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Was good in the first quarter with Riewoldt but drifted out as the quality of supply declined. Disappointed he didn't take the mark in the goal square late in the first.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I understand Hardwick's spirited defence of Tom in his presser today - he needed to do that. i.e. He's been asked to play a role, it's a role that wins games if not individual glory and he's not going to kick a 60 goals in a season.

The only problem with that narrative is he did kick 63 goals in 2019 coming off a major knee injury (and no pre-season) and his current lack of form his obvious to the casual observer - irrespective the role he is playing.
Lynch is dropping marks he would have taken in previous years and missing set shots he would have made in previous years.
Hardwick couldn’t be happy about that.
That’s not part of the game plan surely.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
If we listened to the media, opposition fans,and plenty of Richmond's own ,we would conclude that since 2017 to 2021 that dusty is God (he is) and Grimes, Vlas are good to, and prestia , Edwards gets passes.
The rest according to the above are *smile*.
Pretty much everyone else gets their turn to be a whipping boy,and that this magical system means we don't run,tackle, kick , handball at all.
3 flags plus a minor flag plus VFL flag says otherwise,even Tiger fans don't understand what we are doing to have become a all time great side.

Reactions: 3 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
not enough intelligent work outside 50 is contributing to what's going on inside 50
Tom and Jack getting plenty of attention doesn't help

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
He’s kicked 10 goals 9. And quite a few of those 10 are from inside the goal square.

I get Dimma’s point. But I’m not sure it’s his role to miss set shots.

Form is down, but not much. He’ll probably kick ten this weekend.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I reckon even the most elite player with elite kicking skills will struggle to find time and space when an opposition’s defence is setup.

It’s not that forwards can’t mark or midfielders can’t kick. We just can’t expect any player consistently take pack marks when the opposition‘s defence is fully set up.

Remember when Taylor Walker thought he could beat Rance, Grimes, Astbury and Vlastuin? Ha! Didn’t stand a chance.

I don’t know how much teams like Melbourne are slowing us down in the midfield, but whatever it is, Tom will look like a much better player when our team is able to create more time and space in our forward line by getting it in quicker.

Tom won’t be our best player when the opposition takes away our time and space...

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
For sure, but the key will be a mobile tall if we are going to persist with Lynch deep. I'd love to see CCJ get a crack this week, but he doesn't add enough versatility with Lynch there unless we see a need, first and foremost, to give Nank a solid ruck chop out ahead of Pickett.

I can't believe I am typing this, but that player is Chol IMO. He did a few good things I thought against Casey up forward, but in all honesty, all we need him to do here is play that decoy role. Be a threat and hold his man to account by moving in every direction except into the deep forward area to take the pressure off Lynch.

Sounds like Chol in the Townsend role?

But that extra 3-5% in height comes at the expense of competitiveness being divided by zero...

With the way oppositions guard space, can’t see them following Chol over to the hotdog stand so Tom can take a mark in space.

We could use a 40m worm burner for George/Rioli to run onto? Make them feel nervous. Make them think about the smalls. Then we’ve got 6 forwards to watch instead of 3 tall forwards with Chol.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Need to keep the small forwards nearer to goal and need to use more options up forward so the opposition defence can't just double team Tom and Jack. A third tall forward in CCJ would also be very useful.

Doesn't matter how good any player is, when you are crowded, blocked, held on to etc by 2 or 3 opponents you're not going to get many opportunities.

We have to stretch their defence, use the space available on the MCG.

DS

Reactions: 1 users