Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We actually kicked a freaky soccer goal off the ground from that (Aarts) but more often than not those situations are a kill and a congested mess ensues afterwards.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
We actually kicked a freaky soccer goal off the ground from that (Aarts) but more often than not those situations are a kill and a congested mess ensues afterwards.
im still of the belief a much younger Eddie Betts type crumber would kick 50+ goals a year in our forward line , Womba anyone ? :cool:

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Average in terms of and AFL key forward terms I guess I'm saying.

In terms of the three marking situations for a key forward, I think Lynch is very good on the lead, very good one on one with a single opponent and average in situations with multiple opponents.

Riewoldt I would say very good, good (marking, not neutralising) and very good.
I'd like to know more, there's contested marks, and there's pack marks. Do they keep stats on pack marks? I wouldn't reckon, they'd just go into the contested marks file. To settle this debate objectively, there would have to be stats. And to do that you would have to objectively define pack mark, which wouldn't be easy.

Without any stats, I reckon Tom would be up there with the very few players who pull it off on a regular basis, regular still being rare. But he'd be just below the best at it.

So it depends which way you look at it I guess, there are very few players who take pack marks regularly, 10? 15? Tom would be in that group, but possible at the lower end. So on a league basis, or KPP basis he is elite, as is Jack. But on the ladder of pack mark beasts, which is a very small group, he'd be at the middle or lower end I guess.

Then other factors come into play, what else they bring, Casboult is probably the best pack mark in the comp, but who would you rather?

edit, I'd love to see the stat PMIBG, Pack Marks in Big Games. I reckon Jack and Tom would be right up there on those.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
That's a perfect summary.

There's definitely stats in the champion data suite for just about every contest you can name but I don't think the general public can get to them, I'm just going on instinct here.

As you say, not a knock on Lynch as a player, more an observation he should play to his strengths which is getting up on hit up heads and creating one one ones, not sitting deep and trying to take marks one on two or three.
Would there be a pack mark stat? I guess you could define it as a contested mark against 2 or more? But it would be problematic and throw up some strange numbers.

I take your point, Tom and the side can definately play smarter in the fwd line, we've been saying it for 5 years. But having said that, there aren't many players in the comp, half a dozen maybe, who I'd back more when a skied ball is coming in to a static, flooded fwd line. But the fact is is always a low percentage play, with the possible exception of Richo.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Lynchy is just another Richmond enigma.

he'll grab 3 monster pack marks and turn a prelim final with monotonous regularity.

But drop chest marks and miss sodas in May.

he would be in the Top 10 most clumsy and slow blokes in the game when the ball is on the deck, or in his hands on the 'run'

yet somehow manages to create complete carnage and chaos when he doesnt catch it.

he's not unlike a 200/100, way snakier version of Jason Castagna

im gonna got over to kangaroo Karaoke this arvo and sing

'just another Richmond enigma' to the tune of tequila sunrise

later and dedicate it to Lynchy, George, Marlion, bakes, Dusty, Danny, Nank, Jack, Mabior and Stackman,

if anyone's interested. its free entry

Reactions: 2 users

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
That's a perfect summary.

There's definitely stats in the champion data suite for just about every contest you can name but I don't think the general public can get to them, I'm just going on instinct here.

As you say, not a knock on Lynch as a player, more an observation he should play to his strengths which is getting up on hit up heads and creating one one ones, not sitting deep and trying to take marks one on two or three.
What you’re suggesting seems so obvious that it beggars belief that he is choosing not to do it.
I can only assume that he’s being told to stay close to the goals to ensure a deep entry.
I have no way of knowing what instructions the players are given, but if it’s so obvious to supporters what Tom needs to do to capitalise on his strengths, it must be to the coaches as well.
On the normal metrics used to measure a full forward’s contribution, Tom would surely be close to making way for CCJ. I think he must be playing more or less the way he’s being told to.

Reactions: 1 user

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
Felt a bit sorry for Lynchy last night. Yep he missed a few marks, missed a few goals, but he's got a pretty thankless task at times I reckon. The ball is just bombed up in the air to him and he's consistently being asked to take pack marks or compete against 2 or 3 defenders whilst being held, scragged etc. Pretty tough gig. Constrast that with Gee Wizz and Hogans purple patch in the second quarter, the delivery was absolutely top class. Even if our forwards get a bit of clean air, the delivery is pretty hit and miss.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Lynch is working hard & getting to the right positions. I just think he's making a lot of errors cause of fatigue.
I can see him rested shortly to give CJ an opportunity.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I still think he should be played to his strengths more. That pic with 4 defenders on him was simply ridiculous. How can we not have an outnumber on the ground when that happens? If that is his role then so be it but I would like to see him given more leeway to lead and run defenders around. He does get up the ground but I wonder if we are using him to best advantage.

Pack marks are never going to be easy and are a low percentage play. Back in the old days when the defenders would generally compete for the mark maybe, but now, defenders are going for a spoil in most situations, not to compete for a mark. Bloody hard to mark in that situation, possibly also explains why he comes in from behind - can grab the ball off the top using leap and height. If he is in front it is relatively simple to spoil.

Still think forwards need some more support in not being blocked, scragged etc. Apparently blocking and scragging a forward is against the rules as written by the AFL, but watching any game you wouldn't know it. The balance is very wrong.

DS

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Lynch is working hard & getting to the right positions. I just think he's making a lot of errors cause of fatigue.
I can see him rested shortly to give CJ an opportunity.
I actually think he is carrying some sort of back injury. He can’t bend over. For a big man he was very good at picking the ball off the ground. Something just ain’t right with him.

Reactions: 7 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I actually think he is carrying some sort of back injury. He can’t bend over. For a big man he was very good at picking the ball off the ground. Something just ain’t right with him.
Well, in the first 40 seconds of the game he bends over to pick up the ball near the boundary line, on his own, and falls backward/goes without it.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
This is an example of one of the problems we have on our forward line at the moment.

View attachment 12193

The real problem with that photo is not what you see in it, but what you don't.

When Nank is your only crumber at a contest like that, you know that our vaunted small forwards are not working hard enough or making the contest quickly enough.

I am pretty sure Aarts kicks a goal after the ball spills from this pack. But even still, you'd like to see more of our guys around it.

Reactions: 1 user