Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I've been concerned about this finger for 2 years. He broke it midway through 2020 & the numbers you put up re contested marking dropoff correlate with the injury..
This is a photo from him on the weekend. He can't even make a fist.

View attachment 14835
Same thing happened to me, though I had multiple dislocations one season resulting in tendon off the bone.
Cant close the ring finger, plus the index finger is too swollen to close properly. cant make a fist.
My grip strength is poor.

It must affect Tom's marking

Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Jack kicked 51. But I bet the breakdown on the opposition teams would be telling.
My guess is he kicked 30 goals against bottom 6 teams, 15 against the middle teams, 5 against the top 4.
Not sure about your point.
I was trying to illustrate that we have multiple avenues to goal. Those same stats you quote would apply to many forwards. Weaker teams, bigger wins

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Not sure about your point.
I was trying to illustrate that we have multiple avenues to goal. Those same stats you quote would apply to many forwards. Weaker teams, bigger wins
OK I get it.
I thought you were comparing Jack and Tom, with the inference that if Jack can kick 50+ then so should Tom.

On your point, with multiple big fellas kicking goals, it may well be like 2017/18 when we had the pinata of midgets Butler DRio and George.
Each week only one would kick a bunch of goals, and each week a different midget would pop up.
Send opposition coaches into meltdown.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Here’s a new concept. The ball doesn’t always go to Lynch.
Modern football is about spreading the load and having multiple goal kickers. Something Hardwick himself said very early days when he reinvented Riewoldt.
In 2017 we had one tall forward. In 2019 we had two tall forwards. Now we’re playing three.
I wouldn’t know what Jack said on AFL 360 as I don’t watch that crap but last season he kicked 51 goals. Not bad for a decoy
Yeah. So what’s your point ? You were complaining Lynch was getting neglected because of Jack (even though he isn’t - Jack sacrifices himself all the time for Lynch in contests), so next year when Jack isn’t there, you’ll be complaining that we’re too predictable going to Lynch, he’s getting double teamed, whatever.

Two talls in a forward line. Who’d have thought. Outrageous. Spreading the ball around? So we need to be like other teams (none) and just go to the one key forward all and every time do we for Lynch ? Yes, I’m sure that’ll improve his output !

Last edited:

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yeah. So what’s your point ? You were complaining Lynch was getting neglected because of Jack (even though he isn’t - Jack sacrifices himself all the time for Lynch in contests), so next year when Jack isn’t there, you’ll be complaining that we’re too predictable going to Lynch, he’s getting double teamed, whatever.

Two talls in a forward line. Who’d have thought. Outrageous !
Not sure what you’re on about?
Where did I complain Lynch was getting neglected? You’re the one suggesting Lynch is out of form based on numbers whilst I’m suggesting he had a reasonable game last Thursday because we now have 3 tall forwards and he’s not always the focal point. That’s not neglect. That’s reality.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Not sure what you’re on about?
Where did I complain Lynch was getting neglected? You’re the one suggesting Lynch is out of form based on numbers whilst I’m suggesting he had a reasonable game last Thursday because we now have 3 tall forwards and he’s not always the focal point. That’s not neglect. That’s reality.
For the second time, we’re not talking about last Thursday - we’re talking about the last 2 years. The numbers don’t lie …and the excuses are flakey.

Not to say he can’t bounce back (will kick 6 on Sunday) but his form has tapered the last 2 years.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
For the second time, we’re not talking about last Thursday - we’re talking about the last 2 years. The numbers don’t lie …and the excuses are flakey.
Last year he played injured. Knee wasn’t right. Did have a poor year.
2020 won games off his own boot. Invaluable to our Premiership success regardless of what the stats say.

• Love

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
My two bobs worth.

We don't need Tom and Jack to both kick 60+ goals each to have success.

In 2018, arguably our best home and away season ever, Jack kicked 70 goals.

In 2019, Tom's first season with us, he kicked 63 goals, Jack only played half the season and kicked 24 goals:cupgold

In 2020, a shorter season Tom kicked 32, Jack kicked 33 from 2 extra games:cupgold

Our midfield and rucks need to be better.

No resting the rucks forward.

Forty goals each from Tom, Jack and Balta will have us thereabouts.

Happy to see how the season pans out, we might make the finals and even win the GF..

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My two bobs worth.

We don't need Tom and Jack to both kick 60+ goals each to have success.

In 2018, arguably our best home and away season ever, Jack kicked 70 goals.

In 2019, Tom's first season with us, he kicked 63 goals, Jack only played half the season and kicked 24 goals:cupgold

In 2020, a shorter season Tom kicked 32, Jack kicked 33 from 2 extra games:cupgold

Our midfield and rucks need to be better.

No resting the rucks forward.

Forty goals each from Tom, Jack and Balta will have us thereabouts.

Happy to see how the season pans out, we might make the finals and even win the GF..
Its not about goals Mr WA.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Last year he played injured. Knee wasn’t right. Did have a poor year.
2020 won games off his own boot. Invaluable to our Premiership success regardless of what the stats say.
Lynch isn't the marking player he was. His marking stats reflect that. He was a contested marking beast. He isn't now.

I reckon TOO has nailed it

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm talking about with Lynch. Not the team. And its not just a decline in goals but other performance outputs. (Plus, the free kicks and 50's he gives away.)
I've never been too concerned about any free kicks he gives away. He hits the the packs very very hard, which is great, I love it. Those pesky defenders that want to block him and Jack deserve everything he gives them.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Aside from just wanting to disagree with Robbo for being Robbo, I don't see how anyone could argue the point that Lynch is in an extended patch of ordinary form.

Not bad form, but ordinary form. It's not a fair measure but it is true to say he is a ordinary player on extraordinary money at the moment.
Surely, there's more important issues for him to bring up. It's not as if Lynch is in the 2s.

Reactions: 2 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Aside from just wanting to disagree with Robbo for being Robbo, I don't see how anyone could argue the point that Lynch is in an extended patch of ordinary form.

Not bad form, but ordinary form. It's not a fair measure but it is true to say he is a ordinary player on extraordinary money at the moment.
There has been excuses in recent times - one year he played round one off no pre-season. He then had a PCL issue again last year and had op durimg year? Or just after..
He was very promising on the weekend, and were some good signs. 2 inside 50’s in last quarter.
He deserves a month this year at least. Robbo blew off too early, and those that are suggesting he is ordinary right now - off one 2 goal game - I think have gone too early as well

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Here’s a new concept. The ball doesn’t always go to Lynch.
Modern football is about spreading the load and having multiple goal kickers. Something Hardwick himself said very early days when he reinvented Riewoldt.
In 2017 we had one tall forward. In 2019 we had two tall forwards. Now we’re playing three.
I wouldn’t know what Jack said on AFL 360 as I don’t watch that crap but last season he kicked 51 goals. Not bad for a decoy
Exactly right. Went to him most of the time at GC, even more when charlie dixon left. Big month coming up for him now I reckon

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Second highest paid player in the biggest club in the competition. Robbo's in a business that needs to attract interest and readers.

I can see why he'd write about Lynch instead of Todd Goldstein.
Not off one game sample size, a game which I am sure Robbo never even to