Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
So we agree then. b

Yep, I was wrong. Thought he would have and should have gotten a week or two.

Mind you I bet most of the posters who are gleefully parading old TBR through the streets now will be back bleating about the anti-Richmond AFL, and the old 'if that was a Richmond player they'd be suspended for sure' next week without a hint of irony.

Makes me wonder what they think when they pop on social media and read the comments about this. It's like a conspiracy Sixth Sense.

Probably a printing deadline issue TM, the Lynch verdict was much later. The online edition is 50/50.

Be too much of a pay cut.

Yeah, of course I'd wish injury on someone. It's not as though I've dedicated my entire working life to keeping people healthy, and a big chunk of it to helping athletes stay healthy, or anything.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

One thing I haven't had the chance to do is study someone with an extra *smile* though, so if you are ever up for volunteering feel free to reach out. (y)
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Tribunal had a gawk at PRE and read my post to you TBR.
Theis findings were nearly word for word when I refuted your conclusion that Lynch was guilty.

I’ll volunteer :LOL: You bloody contrarian

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Tribunal had a gawk at PRE and read my post to you TBR.
Theis findings were nearly word for word when I refuted your conclusion that Lynch was guilty.

I’ll volunteer :LOL: You bloody contrarian
WTR - Willos The Refuter !!!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Sure did, and the prosecutor pretty much repeated what I had been saying. Maybe if he was as eloquent as TBR we would have hung the bastard. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
So we agree then. b

Yep, I was wrong. Thought he would have and should have gotten a week or two.

Mind you I bet most of the posters who are gleefully parading old TBR through the streets now will be back bleating about the anti-Richmond AFL, and the old 'if that was a Richmond player they'd be suspended for sure' next week without a hint of irony.

Makes me wonder what they think when they pop on social media and read the comments about this. It's like a conspiracy Sixth Sense.

Probably a printing deadline issue TM, the Lynch verdict was much later. The online edition is 50/50.

Be too much of a pay cut.

Yeah, of course I'd wish injury on someone. It's not as though I've dedicated my entire working life to keeping people healthy, and a big chunk of it to helping athletes stay healthy, or anything.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

One thing I haven't had the chance to do is study someone with an extra *smile* though, so if you are ever up for volunteering feel free to reach out. (y)
It’s ok mate.
At least the commentators agreed with you

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Good news and correct decision by the MRO.
Don't expect the media to apologize for all the get Lynch hyperbole

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
Interesting decision.

Keath was concussed so it is a question over whether it should have been cited. But the issue there is whether there were grounds to cite this. Clearly rough conduct was the only charge they could have brought, and, given it was Keath who initiated the contact, it was very very tenuous.

When we compare to the Vlastuin incident, that was a much clearer case to be cited. As I also said back then, it would be up to the tribunal to decide whether it was careless or not and proceed from there. The fact the Dangerfield case wasn't sent to the tribunal, when this case was, is a testament to the ridiculous inconsistencies in the way they treat these incidents.

There are clear differences here between the 2 incidents. Dangerfield did not take evasive action, he raised his elbow. Lynch was taking evasive action. In the Vlastuin incident both players were going for the ball, in this case Keath clearly wasn't. I think Dangerfield had more of a case to answer, whether he would have been able to answer that case we will never know. One thing is for certain, there were more grounds to cite Dangerfield's hit on Vlastuin than there were to cite Lynch's collision with Keath.

A few things come out of this.

Firstly, the football media need to take a very long hard look at themselves. The tribunal decides guilt, players are not deemed to be guilty just because they have been sent to the tribunal. The trial by media has to stop, it's a f**cken circus.

The AFL need to sort out what they will and won't send to the tribunal. They need to grow a backbone and consistently apply their own rules. If they did this more consistently, and more cases went to the tribunal, where some charges are upheld and other charges dismissed, it would make this process far better.

I suspect there may have been some legal advice taken here too. If this went to court, for example Keath later tries to sue the AFL or Footscray over this incident, I suspect he would lose. He would lose because he initiated the contact. There was simply no reason for Keath to be running towards that marking contest, unless he wanted to block Lynch. So, Keath's actions led to the collision, and his actions were in contravention of the rules of the game, therefore, it was his fault. I hope he is ok but it was his actions which led to the collision.

I have a tiny bit more faith in the tribunal and hopefully this can be a catalyst for at least parts of the AFL to stop pandering to the whims of the powers that be and the f**ckwits in the football media.

I have no faith the football media will change their spots, they are just after more clicks, we all need to stop going anywhere near them. Cancel Foxtel, don't listen to SEN, don't watch their idiotic shows. If they want us to watch their shows they need to get a hell of a lot better at their jobs, in fact, it would be even better if most of them just resigned and made way for some journos who actually deserve the name journalist.

DS
Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

Feel sorry for Keath getting concussed but he brought that upon himself. This should never have been sent to the tribunal.

If Lynch got weeks for that I was about ready to walk away from a game I've been associated with for over 50 years.

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
Don't have a problem with the way it's been assessed so far. Players that use the double action sling are getting punished for their actions, the more severe the action and injury the greater the punishment. Similar to what happens everywhere.
Shoot someone in the foot with a slug gun, you'll probably get a fine.
Blow someones foot off with a shotty, you'll probably get a couple of years in the slot.
Blow someones head off with the shotty, you'll probably get 20 to 30 years in the slot.

Same actions each time, massively different result from the actions.
I don't disagree with your thoughts in principle but what about the "potential to cause injury" that has been used to hang Bachar and Dusty and probably others at various times ? Where has that suddenly disappeared to ?

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
Ha ha ha is the Refuter OK, those kornflakes will be tasting a little sour this morning.

It's crazy, he's the only impartial fan on the planet. And he knows everything football. If he thought Lynch should have been suspended he must be. Hopefully he lodges some sort of protest with the AFL.

A good result, hopefully the media put some heat on players doing what Keath did - it wasn't courageous, it was dumb and dangerous and put multiple players in terrible positions, most importantly himself.
Interesting point. If Lynchy didn't brace for impact and Keath careened into him from an unexpected angle like he did without eyes for the ball and broke a couple of Lynchy's ribs or concussed him, how many weeks should Keath get ?

Lynch had no choice but to late brace for contact to save exactly this scenario from happening. How it ended up at the tribunal needs to be examined. I suspect Christian listened to the media "outrage" and went with it. Lynch seems to have an undeserved reputation as a media bad boy whilst Cameron walks away from flattening an ump "Scott" free !

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
There's been a lot of talk about conspiracy theories and bias but if the AFL were consistent in their decisions around how we are generally treated at the tribunal (the Richmond tax) and we were officiated evenly (nobody can tell me we don't get shafted after five years on the bottom of the free kick ladder and remember, it's WHERE the free kicks are paid that really matters) then there would be no need for conspiracy theories. Sure there would be the usual whingeing about it occasionally but I for one would shut up about it if by some miracle we end up being 5th or 5th last or 12th or 8th one year. If it's random, then why are we always last ?

Why also are the finals adjudicated differently ? The umps "throw away the whistle" and things that have been tiggy touchwood all year are suddenly allowed and we tend to thrive if our recent finals record is anything to go by. Wtf is that ?

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
How it ended up at the tribunal needs to be examined. I suspect Christian listened to the media "outrage" and went with it.

I think it's simpler than that. Christian knew it was a high profile contentious case. The media seemed split between the Karens calling for blood and more recent players with a mind of their own not being totally convinced there was anything reportable there.

Christian just didn't want the pressure and responsibility of making a call so he just Geelong handpassed it to the Tribunal. Too scared to make the call himself.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
They usually do, it's almost as though they know more about footy than the average punter or something. :whistle:
A certain 3 time premiership winning coach doesnt think the commentators know a lot about footy.

Actually, it probably isnt that the commentators dont know a lot about footy, it is more they often dont think before they talk. and, for some, when they do think, their priority is about how to generate headlines and controversy.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I don't disagree with your thoughts in principle but what about the "potential to cause injury" that has been used to hang Bachar and Dusty and probably others at various times ? Where has that suddenly disappeared to ?
Potential to cause injury is simply the biggest pile of bull *smile* invented by the flogs at AFLHQ. Almost every action taken on a footy field has the potential to cause injury and that loathsome word should be obliterated from the AFL vernacular.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Meh. It's all academic *smile* anyway. The *smile* would have given Lynch weeks if he wasn't already out with injury. Of that I have no doubt.
I trend to agree with this summation.

Hes out for 3 months heaven forbid maybe more.

Any suspension is null and void anyway.

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
The stupidity of their case:

He bumped Keath and if you decide that he didn’t bump Keath then you should find him guilty anyway.

Prosecution rests.

• Haha