Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I'd throw Lambert into the mix too. Future coach ITBHO.

Good point TBH...he's a very astute and articulate guy.

No standouts which shows how even the team is. Of the options (I'm disregarding Shedda and Grimes as not the right age profile):

Dusty - can't see it. He's a leader no doubt but don't think he would be interested in being the figure head

Lynch - has captaincy experience and, as others have said,leads through his attack on the footy. But, I'm not convinced of his media profile or engagement with fans

Vlastuin - very strong contender. RIght age profile, courageous and good with media/fans.

Jack G - similar to Vlastuin but, even though he had a major step forward in the back end of 2020, I'm still concerned about his ongoing ability to be a top 10 player

Short - good age profile, great with media and fans, came of age as a player. But not sure he's a "follow me boys" type of guy

Lambert - definitely a contender but will be 30 at the turn of the 2022 season....perhaps we would prefer a younger option?

Jack Ross - could be a major darkhorse and a contender if he has a strong 2021 season...has expressed interest in the role

I think Vlastuin is the bookies favourite but there are plenty of contenders.

Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
I've always felt Tom was sort of a reluctant captain at GC, nearly like he thought he was obligated to do it once Ablett bailed. I'd prefer we let him concentrate on just doing his job onfield.
Is a ff the best option for captain??

How would he communicate with the team during a match?

The next captain needs to be someone who covers he ground just like Cotch, and our other captains in the past.

Pity Jack Dyer is not still playing!!

Reactions: 1 user

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013

The next captain needs to be someone who covers he ground just like Cotch, and our other captains in the past.

Pity Jack Dyer is not still playing!!
KMac or Marlion!!!!!!

• Love

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion

Tom had the nous to take himself to full back at the end of the PF. He gets up and down the ground a bit, though he may be less able to do that once Jack is gone.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
this thread is the place to be.

we have half a dozen genuine captains in waiting,

and they're gonna have to wait a while

after winning 3 of the last 4 flags under the steerage of Richmonds greatest ever captain

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Agree with the idea that no standouts in this team suggests that we have an even spread of leaders.

Vlas is my likely choice, but I reckon old Nank would be a show if given the gig.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Shedda, Vlas, Grimes, Graham probably most fit the bill.

Dusty or Nank (but probably not interested) and Lambo are other options.

We are spoilt for options.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Really enjoyed listening to Tom at Club80 last, no secret squiree stuff, just general good banter and wit, really appears to love being a Tiger

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
On a different topic ie Lynch I have just listened to the MMM call of our prelim last year and at the end of the first qtr, Duursma kicked a goal and then ran the length of the field and got stuck into Lynch who was obviously no where near the play. The commentators loved it and kept saying how it was preplanned and a great tactic but I reckon the intimation and bating from Duursma was over the top given Lynch was 100m away.

I guarantee if Lynch kicked a goal and then ran the length of the field and started pushing an opponent around he would have got pillared and hung out to dry by the media and labeled a bad sport / thug etc ....... just saying the double standards and nothing new.

oh and back to the topic of the Lynch thread - Vlas or Grimes for el capitan.

Reactions: 5 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
KMac or Marlion!!!!!!
After Kamdyn’s 2nd quarter in last years G.F, he’s a walk up start. Hard, loyal, committed Richmond Man.
The Captains Chronicles. I can see it now.

I’m waiting for Marlion to utter his first words at Tigerland before nominating him Vice Captain.

Reactions: 2 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
On a different topic ie Lynch I have just listened to the MMM call of our prelim last year and at the end of the first qtr, Duursma kicked a goal and then ran the length of the field and got stuck into Lynch who was obviously no where near the play. The commentators loved it and kept saying how it was preplanned and a great tactic but I reckon the intimation and bating from Duursma was over the top given Lynch was 100m away.

I guarantee if Lynch kicked a goal and then ran the length of the field and started pushing an opponent around he would have got pillared and hung out to dry by the media and labeled a bad sport / thug etc ....... just saying the double standards and nothing new.

oh and back to the topic of the Lynch thread - Vlas or Grimes for el capitan.
Duursma is a dud.
Dropped a sitter when the pressure was cranked up.
He and Hartlett acted like fools and both of them lost the game for them.

Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
After Kamdyn’s 2nd quarter in last years G.F, he’s a walk up start. Hard, loyal, committed Richmond Man.
The Captains Chronicles. I can see it now.

I’m waiting for Marlion to utter his first words at Tigerland before nominating him Vice Captain.

and don't forget that Kmac bombed it in for Dustys GF goal of the millennium.

therefore, if dusty doesn't want it, Kmac probably should be.

* Marlion did utter a squeaky 'thank you' to daisy Pearce after his debut game.

** Im a bit of a fan of Dursma, much to EZ.jr's chagrin :peepwall

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
** Im a bit of a fan of Dursma, much to EZ.jr's chagrin :peepwall
Damn. Hit the like button by mistake.
I'm in juniors corner eZyT.
Dursma can play, but he's also premium grade prat. Mr. bow and arrow man when his sides trailing by four goals or his 100 metre dash to hurl insults n present the tupperware tuff at Lynch when he was up the other end of the ground and the game still had a long way to go. Just screams of knob jockey to me.

Reactions: 10 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Im an unabashed fan of Richmonds Greatest Love Machine,

but I believe making him Captain would be a slight backward step, toward the days when our best and toughest were not made Captain.

Kane Johnson and Chris Newman served us admirably, but Richo should have been The Man.

Cotchy is our best and arguably our biggest and most indestructible mongrel, as well as an articulate choir boy with hair that is the envy of the world.

Lets not be coy. if Cotchy doesn't maim someone severely in a game, he punches the locker afterwards. and his locker looks like it was purchased at a Syrian cash converters.

so who has the next best combination of talent and unbridled mongrelity?

I'd say Dylan Grimes, Tom Lynch, Toby Nankervis, Marlion Pickett, Liam Baker and Sydney Stack, probably in that order.

I think given cotchy has another 2 years in the job, we can rule Grimes, and Marlion out on age.

and its probably fair to remove Sydney from the captain short list at this point in time.

which leaves us with Tom Lynch, Toby Nankervis or Liam Baker.

jeez. all colossal men, who love to win and hurt.

I think Nank would rather go fishing in southern tasmania,

which yeah, by elimination and science, leaves us with Big Tom or Little Liam as next captain.

and, although bakes has the smile of psychopath that compels followship, always pick a good tall over a good small.

if its not Dusty, who does seem out of contention due to reclusivety and the white shark eyes (italics for anyone forming a punkish band)

then I vote Big Baby-Faced Psycho Tom Lynch too.

when @Tigers of Old proposed it earlier, I dismissed it out of hand,

but through reductionism, I find myself in agreement
You have discussed and excluded quite a few without much regard for our greatest and most inspirational player.
He has become increasingly adept at dealing with the media and his leadership on the field would only be enhanced. Deserves to be asked.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Back in 2012, when Newman gave plenty of notice that he would be relinquishing his captaincy after being appointed in 2009, perhaps most of us would’ve picked Trent on football ability, but in hindsight it was his values and the type of person he is that really made him a great captain.

We can’t split all these future leaders without knowing them up close pretty well.

I’d love to see Graham, Ross, or any other young guy with great values have a truly standout year like Trent did in 2012... but if not, we don’t need our next captain to be a Brownlow medallist, we just need them to be a quality leader.

We’ve certainly got plenty of those.

Reactions: 1 users