Mac Andrew and others who seem to have missed classification | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mac Andrew and others who seem to have missed classification

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
No surprise around that weight gain. The 70 kegs was at the start of the year - that's a long time ago for a growing tall his age. He looked bigger than 70Kg as well.

Talls with his elite traits - athleticism, pace, leap, one touch, balance, dual sided and can impact games rightly go early.

You'd think he'll be gone by our pick which is a shame. He could be a star that can set your team up for a decade i.e. Luke Jackson
He’s not Luke Jackson now and won’t be In the future.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not overly worried about Mac n cheese being a bean pole at the moment, get him on a few weights n appropriate diet n there shouldn't be an issue getting him up to high 90's poss 100 kegs, but it'll be a three or four year build. Majak, Cholly, Aliir, Biggie all seem to frame up pretty well as they mature as players.
The skills n athletic ability don't seem to be an issue with these blokes, it's more aerobic tank n reading / staying with the in game team system.

Reactions: 1 user

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
True, but Jackson was about 95 kegs not sky rocketing from 70 up to 80 kegs. Occasionally kids are ready to go from day one, but not very often. We've just seen Cholly n Cujo hovering around the mark for a few years without really being able to establish themselves and seen exactly what can happen to a tall youngster in Delilah who's nowhere near ready n chucked into a game situation that was totally unsuitable.
Reckon there might be one or two kids get to play a dozen or more games next year n probably around a dozen kids that will be lucky to eke out around one to six games for the season. They've had massive disruptions to their development the last two years and are going to need heaps of development work.
Most years the kids are a combination of N.A.B. school and local comp footy, playing usually a couple of games a week plus training sessions and some lunch time kick to kick with mates. They're usually non stop footy, but the last two years has smashed that scenario.
Spot on with the last 2 years scenario TM but CCJ at best can be described as a ruck that can play forward was never going to push 2 experienced premiership rucks aside in his first year or second for that matter.
Chol on the other hand was more of a forward / tall utility in my book and is why he found himself with games through his mobility.
Those 2 examples were trying to break into a premiership side which does skew the point a fair bit.

I would be the number 1 advocate for NOT drafting rucks due to the wasted years of development but Andrew IMO looks capable of playing as (very) tall utility and that would be a very handy option for our list atm .
Regardless of who ever gets him I'll still be watching his development with interest as I see real X factor with him.

Lastly your call on the amount of first year players and the amount of games they might play is a BIG call and one that I would not be putting my hard earned on.
I know as you say this year is different but last year close to 60% of first year players played 2 or more games.
Hell, we only took 2 players in the draft last year and both debuted in their first year.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Think Gws is the only club who could afford to take him in the top 10.
We could at 15 but with gws having 13 they'll snap him up if he lasts that long.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
If a forward, is Mac Andrew an accurate kick for goal?

Maybe he can have a role elsewhere ....
I think the new trend in gameplay will be at least one very tall mobile wingman.
Also needs a big tank (which Chol lacked).
Will provides the marking target for long kick ins, making the opposition have to defend deep as well as short.
Think Melbourne's Nik Cox .......

Mac Andrew develop on a wing maybe, then an option to replace Reiwoldt in a season or two?

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
If a forward, is Mac Andrew an accurate kick for goal?

Maybe he can have a role elsewhere ....
I think the new trend in gameplay will be at least one very tall mobile wingman.
Also needs a big tank (which Chol lacked).
Will provides the marking target for long kick ins, making the opposition have to defend deep as well as short.
Think Melbourne's Nik Cox .......

Mac Andrew develop on a wing maybe, then an option to replace Reiwoldt in a season or two?
Cox is at Essendrugs not Smelbourne. Guess developing tall wing could be a possibility at some stage, would depend on his motor of course.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Been thinking about Andrew. He needs 30 kegs, his biggest selling point is his athleticism.

How long until the weight slows him down or impacts the leap? Nic Nat and Luke Jackson are the templates everyone wants but they didn’t need 30 kegs. They need 10-15 tops, there’s a difference.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Been thinking about Andrew. He needs 30 kegs, his biggest selling point is his athleticism.

How long until the weight slows him down or impacts the leap? Nic Nat and Luke Jackson are the templates everyone wants but they didn’t need 30 kegs. They need 10-15 tops, there’s a difference.
Are you saying Andrew needs to be 110kgs?
Mumford was around that and he's a completely different build type.
90 kegs would be around the max you would want him at with fully matured physique.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Are you saying Andrew needs to be 110kgs?
Mumford was around that and he's a completely different build type.
90 kegs would be around the max you would want him at with fully matured physique.
Depends on what position he's gunna be playing at.
If he's rucking he'd need to be around the 100 kg plus mark.
If he's KPP he'll still need to be around mid 90 kg, it doesn't sound like much but when it's a combo of running plus power athletes 5 kg is a lot n 10 kg is getting towards a massive difference.
Reckon Mac n cheese won't get up around the 100 kg mark until he's around 25 or 26 years of age, there's going to be a heap of steady n careful work needs to be done to build some proper meat on them bones. They reckon he's 79 / 80 kg at the moment so he's got some work to do.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
The advantage Mac has is his gene's

The african boys seem to have the ability to put on muscle and maintain their speed and athleticism
Chol was 198cm 81 kgs when drafted in 2015 and similar to Andrew and now is 200cm 95kgs and has not lost any of his speed leap or agility

I believe Andrew will be a similar size weight to chol as a finished player perhaps 1-2 cm taller

Reactions: 3 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Athleticism is measurable. Mac Andrew's 20m and all jumps are very important numbers.

If Mac Andrew doesn't test well he's not very interesting. Particularly in the jumps.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Think Gws is the only club who could afford to take him in the top 10.
We could at 15 but with gws having 13 they'll snap him up if he lasts that long.

Agree. I also don’t see him going top 10 unless he is taken by GWS.

GWS have other reasons for wanting him other than footy ability. I understand that the AFL and club are concerned that the residents of the western Sydney area are not identifying with the team. The market penetration, given the teams reasonable on-field success, is very low and must be a massive worry.

They need to become more multicultural in the hope that segments of the market develop an interest in the team that way.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Agree. I also don’t see him going top 10 unless he is taken by GWS.

GWS have other reasons for wanting him other than footy ability. I understand that the AFL and club are concerned that the residents of the western Sydney area are not identifying with the team. The market penetration, given the teams reasonable on-field success, is very low and must be a massive worry.

They need to become more multicultural in the hope that segments of the market develop an interest in the team that way.
They could have just taken Chol as a free agent and saved the pick for Callaghan as well as Marb's being more developed both physically and media .

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
I'm on the fence with Andrew, he 200cm but a 70kg beanpole. I think to put on another 20kg at least will take another 4 years. By that stage a club will probably poach him for a lot cheaper than the initial outlay. Nothing against Mac as a prospect, he's a good one, but a top 5 pick is too much considering the risks.
A young key forward would be top of my shopping list for 2022.

Shame that CCJ left us