Mackenzie Cowley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mackenzie Cowley

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Its an absolute disgrace that the year before our first genuine NGA prospect arrives the AFL change the rules. We missed out on Jye Simpkin (North) and Ratugolea the year before the academies were introduced. Now this!

Fair to say we have been shafted while the likes of Lolingwood, Dogs, GWS, Sydney, GC, Lions continue to get gifted academy players
100% agree with that, but the draft has been a joke especially this year with academy players picks being pushed so far back.Both Qld teams and Sydney team's should have junior players tied to them removed to regarding areas.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
MacKenzie Cowley killing it for Tongala seniors in the Murray Football League. Kicked 6 against Barooga on July 11, making it 21 in his last 5 games. Turns 18 in December, not sure if he's in the Bushrangers squad even? Are we hiding him? Is he not good enough? Maybe @Dont Argue or @tigers1980 know more?

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
MacKenzie Cowley killing it for Tongala seniors in the Murray Football League. Kicked 6 against Barooga on July 11, making it 21 in his last 5 games. Turns 18 in December, not sure if he's in the Bushrangers squad even? Are we hiding him? Is he not good enough? Maybe @Dont Argue or @tigers1980 know more?
Supposed to be ours .....via our NGA.

Corrupt as ###^ the AFL

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Supposed to be ours .....via our NGA.

Corrupt as ###^ the AFL
He can be ours via the NGA, provided no one nominates him in the top 20. Which they won't if he's not playing NAB League.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
He can be ours via the NGA, provided no one nominates him in the top 20. Which they won't if he's not playing NAB League.
Plays a combination of 1sts and 2nds at Caulfield Grammer. Questionable work ethic.
Doesn’t look likely at this stage

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Cheers Scoop.

I have no idea how these academies work.

Plays a combination of 1sts and 2nds at Caulfield Grammer. Questionable work ethic.
If hes got any desire and has the talent the RFC is the place for him.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The dyslexic community on PRE is significant.
I’m happy to keep taking credit.

But I hope your right about this kid, I miss the bush smokie.

Another great football tradition gone.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
?????? Gotta be a bit of weird happening here. Kid plays seniors for Tongala n rips it up in the bush league. Plays some firsts and seconds for Caulfield Grammar but has a questionable work ethic??

Is it possible the young fella is stretching himself a bit thin trying to play too many games on short turnaround??? Have read a few times over the years that some of the youngsters are mixing U18 national comp with school comp as well as local footy comp n virtually running themselves into the ground doing too much while trying to appease every club they have some affiliation to while trying to perform well enough to get their draft chance.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
?????? Gotta be a bit of weird happening here. Kid plays seniors for Tongala n rips it up in the bush league. Plays some firsts and seconds for Caulfield Grammar but has a questionable work ethic??

Is it possible the young fella is stretching himself a bit thin trying to play too many games on short turnaround??? Have read a few times over the years that some of the youngsters are mixing U18 national comp with school comp as well as local footy comp n virtually running themselves into the ground doing too much while trying to appease every club they have some affiliation to while trying to perform well enough to get their draft chance.
Can confirm the talent is there, the work ethic is getting there after some strong talking to by the Caulfield coaching staff.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

Most AFL draft hopefuls and those on talent pathways have that football schedule and more.
Some have school, local, representative and state commitments. Extremely taxing.
Being motivated, having a strong work ethic and good time management are primary requisites for being drafted these days.
Ability is the starting point. It’s getting the most out of yourself that sets you apart and gets you drafted.
And then you need luck.

Last edited:

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Got this info last night on ”Macka” secondhand source who would be from the Pioneers , sorry if any of this has been mentioned, however , been part of VLine pioneers academy since u16s on a indigenous sporting scholarship at CG , very good player, however speed and endurance are his weakness.

Murray league isn’t a great standard , it’s below your Goulburn Valleys and Ovens and Murray’s , however kicking goals as a 17 year old is still a good achievement.

Sounds like he may be worth a rookie pick, MJ could be great for him and vice versa

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Most AFL draft hopefuls and those on talent pathways have that football schedule and more.
Some have school, local, representative and state commitments. Extremely taxing.
Unfortunately also a reason that many of the U18 kids are carrying stress n overload injuries into the start of their professional careers.

Talent can't be built or taught, work ethic can. Especially in youngsters who have heaps of life growing and development issues to try n sort out and rationalise at 17 / 18 years old.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Unfortunately also a reason that many of the U18 kids are carrying stress n overload injuries into the start of their professional careers.

Talent can't be built or taught, work ethic can. Especially in youngsters who have heaps of life growing and development issues to try n sort out and rationalise at 17 / 18 years old.
They do get good education on recovery, eating well, sleeping well, stretching etc but you are 100% correct re stress injuries and fatigue.
I suppose if it was easy, everyone would do it.
Not sure work ethic can always be taught though.
They have to be super competitive to really want it.

On a side note, Caulfield Grammer have been using Emma Murray to train the students in mindfulness. I’ve implored my son to get into Mackas ear about them both taking advantage of it.
My son then gave me “the look”

• Haha

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
The good news on the back of all that is no way would he be taken top 20 , if clarkey rates him , he’ll be in y&b

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
My son then gave me “the look”
Haaarrrgghh. Thoroughly deserved, what on earth were you thinking? Giving the son instructions, even worse expecting him to then go and instruct another teen, good grief.

• Haha

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009
If the talent is there, we should definitely take the punt and see how he goes in our development program.

North overlooked thier NGA prospect Mansell in his draft year to our benefit. Would hate for Crowley to just be a late bloomer a turn into a solid player at another club.

Especially when we've gained so little from the NGA to date.

tigers1980

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 24, 2012
Has kicked 25 goals in last 5-6 weeks at Tongala, but hearing the same things.
His Tongala teammate 16 y.o Harley Reid is one to watch. There are some big wraps on this kid.