Making Their Mark (amazon doco) & One Night in Brisbane (fox/kayo) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Making Their Mark (amazon doco) & One Night in Brisbane (fox/kayo)

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
One thing on “One night in Brisbane “ that caught my attention which I missed at the time. Jack highlighted a handball from Cotch that was missed by the media. It highlighted the media bias to me. Let me set the picture.
With 5 minutes and 4 seconds to go in the second quarter, Ablett did his handball. Don’t get me wrong, it was a great handball. It resulted in a Hawkins goal. The commentators gushed about the handball for what seemed like forever. They replayed not once, not twice, not three times, not even 4 times. They replayed the handball 5 times. I think they also ran out of superlatives to describe it. Fair enough, like I said it was a great handball and did result in a goal for them.
Now, fast forward to the 3rd quarter with 15 minutes 38 seconds to go ( so maybe 6-7 minutes of actual game time elapsed between the Ablett handball and this). Cotchin does almost the EXACT same handball with the difference being he was horizontal and lunging forward (Ablett was upright)when he handballed to Graham. This ended up being a goal to Riewoldt. The only comment about it was “that was really well created by Cotchin , unusual handball, done well”. And that was it. How many times did they replay it? I will give you a guess. It was less than 1. That’s right. No replay. The difference with how they commented on both was stark

Reactions: 13 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If episode 7 dosent make you proud to be a Richmond supporter,
Change fken sports.
Love Peggy and Benny.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Some random obs;

Of the coaches shown, Dimma head and shoulders above.
I thought Simmo was Ok.
Nicks wasn’t too bad I guess.
I actually liked Dew’s style and would happy enough to play for him.
Cameron seems like a Grade A flog type of coach to me. Terrible messaging in critical times. Look at Jezza’s face during talks - lost him ages ago, I can see why he left. I thought Cogs was scape goated badly. they shouldn’t have filmed that bit he got dropped- ruined him as a captain. Most of those blokes probably had better coaches in the junior careers and would be thinking “WTF?”
Teague was interesting. I was surprised by his air of steeliness and confidence. I think he’ll become a good coach. But waddoo I know?

Fave moment of the whole show was Chief’s reaction to Dusty‘s 3rd goal!

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Amazon Doco was a world class TV production. Episode 7 just incredible.
We are soo lucky as supporters to have our team win a flag last season with the camera's in the room capturing it all forever.
Even if there's a series two, it won't have the same magic as that. Absolutely incredible piece of work.

Reactions: 2 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Some random obs;

I thought Simmo was Ok.
Cameron seems like a Grade A flog type of coach to me. Terrible messaging in critical times. Look at Jezza’s face during talks - lost him ages ago, I can see why he left. I thought Cogs was scape goated badly. they shouldn’t have filmed that bit he got dropped- ruined him as a captain. Most of those blokes probably had better coaches in the junior careers and would be thinking “WTF?”
Teague was interesting. I was surprised by his air of steeliness and confidence. I think he’ll become a good coach. But waddoo I know?

Based on what was presented in the show, I agree with most of that, UpSize.

The only one I don't agree with you on is that I thought Simpson was a one trick pony. All he had was "Phuckemall" - They don't rate us - They've written us off, Etc...

And Coach Cameron? Sheesh - Look at Jeremy Cameron whenever he appeared in the series. Couldn't wait to get out of the place. Cogs was gaslighted and scapegoated and driven to doubt. Poor bastard. Nothing but empty words for support.

Star of the show was Eddie I reckon. What a ripper of a person.

Loved Peggy and the posse of Punt Road ladies dancing at the end of the GF.

And the chief was magnificent.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Some random obs;

I thought Simmo was Ok.

If the team / players reflect the administration, CEO and Coach, its easy to see why GWS remain a team of individuals.
Thought Leon Cameron and even, Matthews presented terribly. Of course, the documentary makers can edit to present a certain point of view, but if the GWS Board arent calling in some seriously good leadership consultants after watching this, they are lying to themselves. But maybe that is the point, not believing in 'teams' and culture is what everyone has seen in the GWS segments. I felt sad for Coniglio, but imagine if your son plays for them; you may be thinking what a possible waste of his career. Reading all the footy sites over the w/end, across all Clubs, everrone echoed how poorly Cameron presented and what a '*smile* poor manager' he seemed.

WCE - for me, Adam Simpson presented as having a serious chip on his shoulder. Not just the hubs. He actually appeared quite insecure to me - like he wanted to present as a friend of the players more than coach.

Agree re Teague, although I thought the snippet of the ext interview with Betts seemed to be someone wanting to speak more than listen.
Liked Betts though, nice guy.

Enjoyed he way Gale relayed the Icarus story to the players, and Damien's humor when the players were jumping on the bag. The messaging is strong and clear, repeated and reinforced. Again, could be in the editing - but the 'small gesture' of Dimma getting Shai Bolton to apologise to all his team mates for rocking up late, calling it out, then moving on with an acceptance we can all make mistakes is what good culture is all about. Own it.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Felt awful for Coniglio. Clearly he is not a leader in that sense. His time speaking to the group is so forced and unnatural that I doubt any of his team mates would believe in him. Captain should have been Heath Shaw. I reckon the GF flogging we gave them has broken them far more than what most thought.

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Coniglio misses a rehab session, Cameron doesn’t drop him. Says he’s going to stand by him. Drops him anyway a few weeks later anyway. Starting to think the captaincy was offered as part of him staying at the Giants in 2019. And he was that poor and that club looked that disorganised that I kind of get why Williams & Cameron walked at years end. Super obvious that Toby Greene should be captain. Maybe the Josh Kelly whispers are realer than we think.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Thoughts on Simpson?

Just finished watching it TF, and the strongest impression I have of the whole thing, other than how good the people we have at Richmond are, is how unimpressive Simpson comes across as.

He is clearly a great footy brain and can coach, but compared to Dimma, he is not in the same league as an orator or motivator.

I should add, to be fair, that there wouldn't be many at Dimma's level in any sport.

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
We are soo lucky as supporters to have our team win a flag last season with the camera's in the room capturing it all forever.

This is just so true ToO

We are the luckiest bunch of footy supporters in the history of the game I reckon but.......

as they say you make your own luck and this is a reward for the hard yards our supporters have done over the years.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It’s like anything hi-fi or indeed tech, there is a sweet spot after which things operate by the law of declining returns. I’m done spending now and set to enjoy what I have for 20 years (but I’ve said that before).

Looked at cleaners and even considered buying one of the $4K ultrasonic jobs, then on-selling when I’m finished. My interest in vinyl is only really to transfer some rare tracks to digital (have a Tascam analog-to-digital deck on order). Turntable was the best I could reasonably afford (Rega Planar 6) and I might not even keep it. Depends if I get the vinyl bug. I’m essentially a digital man, everything else is run from Roon Server to three rooms.

I'm analogue with about 1,500 albums and have been buying records for over 40 years, so a record cleaner is an essential. I continue to buy lots of records. But I wouldn't go $4k for an ultrasonic cleaner. To expensive and vacuum cleaning records is very effective.

Rega Planar 6 is a pretty good TT and if you end up selling it you will likely get a buyer pretty quick. Nice simple turntables Rega make. I like old Micro Seikis so I have a BL51.

Definitely a sweet spot with these things, while I might love a Koetsu cartridge, $25k is a tad ridiculous!

HiFi lasts a long time so worth spending a decent amount but not a ridiculous amount, mind you a ridiculous amount is largely defined by the beholder.

Anyway, must get back to watching Making their Mark, still only 2 episodes in and it is very good. We all know there is a limit to what a doco is allowed to film but they seemed to get more than most.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Dimma came across as the best coach of the lot and while there is no doubting his brilliance, I do suspecting the editing room had some say in how the characters were portrayed. I mean if Leon Cameron was that much of a prick, I doubt they would have played us in 2019, nor do I think Leon would still be there.

Reactions: 3 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Has anyone read anything on other forums about opposition supporter's thoughts on Hardwick?
I have Jb. On Big Footy, many other supporters reactions to the Hardwick/Richmond parts are usuallly something like:

1. Dimma is a great communicator
2. I never liked Dimma, especially his smug smirk, but credit to him. You can see why all the players play for him.
3. Gale and Peggy show why Richmond is a great organisation.
4. A few thought Peggy was boring and not much chop.
5. Couldnt believe a few of the supporters thought Malcolm Speed was better than Peggy! My reaction when I watched Speed - was thank goodness Peggy is the Pres.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Just finished watching it TF, and the strongest impression I have of the whole thing, other than how good the people we have at Richmond are, is how unimpressive Simpson comes across as.

He is clearly a great footy brain and can coach, but compared to Dimma, he is not in the same league as an orator or motivator.

I should add, to be fair, that there wouldn't be many at Dimma's level in any sport.
Agree Streak. TBH, its one of the biggest surprises for me - Simpson might be a great guy and might be a great coach. And i have to believe he is those things b/c WCE would not accept too much failure would they? But to me, I thought he was very poor throughout the series - from the way he spoke to the way he managed the group.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Thoughts on Simpson?
Average.
showing the 2018 cup to inspire them after the hub lock down was very uninspiring.
Personally i think he has a team capable of playing 10 times better but i dont think he brings the best out of them.