Making Their Mark (amazon doco) & One Night in Brisbane (fox/kayo) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Making Their Mark (amazon doco) & One Night in Brisbane (fox/kayo)

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Coniglio misses a rehab session, Cameron doesn’t drop him. Says he’s going to stand by him. Drops him anyway a few weeks later anyway. Starting to think the captaincy was offered as part of him staying at the Giants in 2019. And he was that poor and that club looked that disorganised that I kind of get why Williams & Cameron walked at years end. Super obvious that Toby Greene should be captain. Maybe the Josh Kelly whispers are realer than we think.
Nailed it Scoop. They are in a real mess. The doco has really impacted on the reputations of captain and coach.
You can lock Kelly being elsewhere next year.
My money is on the Tigers.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I've worked with four of the people who were featured and I felt there was only one who really came across anything like the impression I have of them.

I'd be interested to know who that person is TBR. Understand if it's not something you feel you can divulge.

Big Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jul 15, 2013
I have Jb. On Big Footy, many other supporters reactions to the Hardwick/Richmond parts are usuallly something like:

1. Dimma is a great communicator
2. I never liked Dimma, especially his smug smirk, but credit to him. You can see why all the players play for him.
3. Gale and Peggy show why Richmond is a great organisation.
4. A few thought Peggy was boring and not much chop.
5. Couldnt believe a few of the supporters thought Malcolm Speed was better than Peggy! My reaction when I watched Speed - was thank goodness Peggy is the Pres.
I know quite a few people (and I agree) that thought Peggy's comments about the functions and how she couldn't care if she didn't host another dinner and we don't make money on functions anyway, were very disingenuous. A lot of people pour serious dough into the club and those functions are part of their package. The club mightn't make money on the actual function, but they do on the coterie membership packages and that comment is disrespectful. Especially when you consider that in 2020 people paid lots of money last year and didn't receive their benefits.
I also thought the snippets of the Board meetings were somewhat underwhelming, IMO they totally overplayed the Chol situation and I think it was obvious that both the players and coach didn't think anything of it and the Board over played the PC card, which they have a tendency to do.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
5. Couldnt believe a few of the supporters thought Malcolm Speed was better than Peggy! My reaction when I watched Speed - was thank goodness Peggy is the Pres.
Mine too. Malcolm Speed strikes me as someone who doesn't quite get the culture of the club. Very concerned about the optics and over playing some things imo whereas Benny and Peggy see these things as important too but are also very practical.

Reactions: 1 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Mine too. Malcolm Speed strikes me as someone who doesn't quite get the culture of the club. Very concerned about the optics and over playing some things imo whereas Benny and Peggy see these things as important too but are also very practical.
you gleaned that from 3, 4 or 5 , 10 second grabs !!!

He has been on our board since 2011 so basically the same journey as Dimma , Benny & Peggy.

I think he deserves some credit

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I also thought the snippets of the Board meetings were somewhat underwhelming, IMO they totally overplayed the Chol situation and I think it was obvious that both the players and coach didn't think anything of it and the Board over played the PC card, which they have a tendency to do.
There's no doubt there's a certain pandering to a handful of quite vocal complainaints about certain PC topics.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Eddie Betts. Probably because you saw more of him form a personal life view than the others but that's exactly how he is. I think I said earlier he's like a 10 year old kid and a labrador puppy inside the body of a man and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

He's just a wonderfully kind, authentic, playful man and he cares deeply. Just don't try and get him to do anything when it's cold. ;)
Thanks very much. I actually thought for some reason you were talking about the coaches in particular when you made that comment.

Anyway I've only watched 2 episodes so far but yes the way Eddie is portrayed is how'd imagine him to be. Even though he plays for Carlton I quite like him...................

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
you gleaned that from 3, 4 or 5 , 10 second grabs !!!
Yes. Which is why I said he strikes me that wat rather than saying he is that.
what I heard from Speed in the couple of snippets is the words of a professional sports administrator, which is what he is of course. Probably good to have that view on the Board but not as President imo.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yeah I winced a bit when she said that, but I think it was more a reflection of her discomfort at hosting than any disrespect at the fans.

I actually think it came across that she is quite awkward with people, very much a behind the scenes governance type operator than a warm social person

You may be right that Peggy likes to work behind the scenes rather than being out there big noting herself, which is not say she is not a warm social person.
She may not like hobnobbing? but I have met Peggy a couple of times at our Richmond Hill Street Christmas Party and there is nothing wrong with her social skills.
There are a lot of things people do under sufferance in life and work, (you still do them but you don't have to like it).
PS. Eddie's free, he likes brown nosing and greasing palms if he's the sort of operator people prefer;)

Very, very lucky that we have Peggy who has given the club a social conscience and stability.

Reactions: 5 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Love a show with a happy ending.

poor old Steve Coniglio looked so sad at the end though.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Love a show with a happy ending.

poor old Steve Coniglio looked so sad at the end though.
Self inflicted.
He wanted to be captain Solo.
7yrs @ 7 mill. He isnt worth that.
Huge burden to carry.
Put Congilio back on 400k and in the leadership group and he will preform 100 times better.
Not a captain

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
Binged it last night.

What a great watch.

They should play the Dimma speech before Thursdays game on the big screen.

GOOOOOOOOOSE BUMPS

Other take outs from me;

1. Cogs wouldn't get me motivated in a pink fit. He is not a captain. For the coin he is on, they would be better off just letting him play.
  2. Never knew Scott came into the box, was a ''wow'' moment for me
  3. Was interesting the religious side of WCE and their prayer group before the games. We have seen how Houli and Saad prepare publically but never anything like that. Wonder if this happens in most clubs?
  4. Adam Simpson does not inspire. Most of what they showed him saying, the opposite happened.
  5. "Dewie" seems a real character. That Matty Rowell could end up being anything.
  6. Eddie Betts deadset legend.
  7. Rory Sloane deadset legend.
  8. Every part of Episode 7 involving the RFC was unbelievable. Playing for those left behind plus all of dimmas ''grab a jumper'' had me tearing up again.

So happy RFC had a part in it. Even how we handled Hub Life / Stack etc was great to watch.

On a side note, I'm no fan of Malcolm Speed.

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Binged it last night.

What a great watch.

They should play the Dimma speech before Thursdays game on the big screen.

GOOOOOOOOOSE BUMPS

Other take outs from me;

1. Cogs wouldn't get me motivated in a pink fit. He is not a captain. For the coin he is on, they would be better off just letting him play.
  2. Never knew Scott came into the box, was a ''wow'' moment for me
  3. Was interesting the religious side of WCE and their prayer group before the games. We have seen how Houli and Saad prepare publically but never anything like that. Wonder if this happens in most clubs?
  4. Adam Simpson does not inspire. Most of what they showed him saying, the opposite happened.
  5. "Dewie" seems a real character. That Matty Rowell could end up being anything.
  6. Eddie Betts deadset legend.
  7. Rory Sloane deadset legend.
  8. Every part of Episode 7 involving the RFC was unbelievable. Playing for those left behind plus all of dimmas ''grab a jumper'' had me tearing up again.

So happy RFC had a part in it. Even how we handled Hub Life / Stack etc was great to watch.

On a side note, I'm no fan of Malcolm Speed.
Malcolm speed is good.
Bowls a great off break

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
my take home from one night in brisbane

was Shedda played as big a part as Dusty

by sending a 6th forward up there in response to the rout that was happening in the 2nd quarter.

game changing

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
my take home from one night in brisbane

was Shedda played as big a part as Dusty

by sending a 6th forward up there in response to the rout that was happening in the 2nd quarter.

game changing
Coach in the making?
hope we have a spot for him in the coaches box when he retires.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Watched the final episode. Just the raw emotion of the grannie was awesome.
Benny Gale is a Richmond hero but underneath all of that he is just a fan like the rest of us.

Reactions: 3 users