Matildas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matildas

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Matildas lose 1-0 to South Korea in the Asian Cup quarter final.

Gustavsson has to go. South Korea are strong but that's a massive failure.

Worst result in the Asian Cup for 15 years. Andy Harper going spare

You can't rely on lumping it long to Kerr against technical sides. We are hosting the women's world cup in two years - a lot of work to do.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

You can't rely on lumping it long to Kerr against technical sides. We are hosting the women's world cup in two years - a lot of work to do.
I knew you'd be all over it. I actually didn't even realise we had finished the qualifiers.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Matildas continually overwhelmed in midfield against good opposition. Disappointed coach hasn't addressed this. Sadly, seems both mens & womens team are going backwards when it matters most. Hope the Socceroos can allay these fears in the next few days & weeks but they've an uphill battle.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Montemurro was the obvious choice for the gig. Hope they have him now just to take the oxygen away from the Haters

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

There must be a NSW coach that the NSW journalist mafia can shanghai in.

• Sad

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There must be a NSW coach that the NSW journalist mafia can shanghai in.
Give Sydney born Popovic the Men's and relegate Graham to the women's. Kill 3 birds with 1 stone.

Last edited:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Get rid of the men coaches and administrators, put Peggy in charge of the FFA and kill all birds with one star!! :love:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

Well we are lucky we are Hosting as we'd have to play in the 5th v 6th knockout game for the 5th Asian qualifier spot, and no guarantees in pressure games for our girls. Didn't even qualify for the four semi-finalists who go through, very poor once again!! :cautious:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Matildas continually overwhelmed in midfield against good opposition. Disappointed coach hasn't addressed this. Sadly, seems both mens & womens team are going backwards when it matters most. Hope the Socceroos can allay these fears in the next few days & weeks but they've an uphill battle.
Great summary off exactly what it was. Where is Van Egmond, Foord in the big games, always rely on Kerr to do something, and if she doesn't, we're going nowhere fast!!

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Matildas continually overwhelmed in midfield against good opposition. Disappointed coach hasn't addressed this.

Yeah, I've been saying this since the last World Cup.

Socceroos are our worst squad since we left Oceania... that's OK, there are ups and downs but Asia is continually improving. The Matildas should be doing better than they are though.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

It is a big failure. As has been mentioned endlessly our main attacking plan is to give it to Kerr, and as good as she is, she isnt perfect, so it doesnt always work.

I cant rate Gustavsson's performance, but it must be a tough gig, being a national coach, it isnt really your job to develop players, and you dont get much chance to improve them. Harper was going on about the lack of young players in the team, but if the young ones arent better than the vets should they play?
We need a new 2nd striker. Simon rarely does much. Vine looks good, but is probably not ready yet to be a starter, maybe by next year.
Kennedy also should be on shaky ground.

We need Fowler to continue to develop, and the likes of Cooney-Cross and Vine to make the leap to starting quality up front, then Grant and or Nevin to be ready to start down back. 2026 might be our better hope at the WC.

Reactions: 2 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
for those who are interested, the first phase of ticketing for the women’s world cup opens at midday on Thursday. The first phase is for stadium passes and/or Matildas 3 game group stage pass. As you can see below, prices are incredibly cheap.

View attachment 16997

Great stuff man, liking the 6 game package in Melbourne.
Category 1 avg $50 a game not too bad. Category 2 $35 a game, category 3 $23 a game, pretty good value whatever package you get.
We're going to the Matilda's v Sweden game there next month, should be a good one, U going? :unsure:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Category 1 avg $50 a game not too bad. Category 2 $35 a game, category 3 $23 a game, pretty good value whatever package you get.
We're going to the Matilda's v Sweden game there next month, should be a good one, U going? :unsure:

I am helping my partner move that weekend so I can’t go. I’m bloody spewing!!! I’ve been calling loudly on the socials about how the Matildas never play in Melbourne. And the one time we do play here, it’s the one weekend I can’t go.

As for the world cup, I am going to the 3 group games. I am also keeping my calendar open for the Round of 16 and quarter final. Will try and get to the final as well.

Disappointing there aren’t more big games in Melbourne for the WWC considering it’s the third largest sporting event in world sport, But that’s what happens when you don’t get any infrastructure funding coz both sides of government don’t give a stuff about the sport.

On a sad note, Kyah Simon did her ACL over the weekend, so it looks like she will miss.

• Sad

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah I'm up for these packages! We got in on the Asian cup games a few years back - was awesome fun.