Matildas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matildas

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
so we won :cupgold

I really don't think people understand how big this tournament is. It'll be the biggest tournament Australia has hosted since the Sydney Olympics. Visitors to Australia will dwarf the Olympics. It’s a massive, massive event. And we can win the thing.

From a personal point of view, I'm gonna see about how I can get involved from a supporter side of things. It’s an opportunity too good to miss.

22-13. 9 of their votes were from EUFA. even England voted for them. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
so we won :cupgold

I really don't think people understand how big this tournament is. It'll be the biggest tournament Australia has hosted since the Sydney Olympics. Visitors to Australia will dwarf the Olympics. It’s a massive, massive event. And we can win the thing.

From a personal point of view, I'm gonna see about how I can get involved from a supporter side of things. It’s an opportunity too good to miss.

22-13. 9 of their votes were from EUFA. even England voted for them. :rolleyes:
Great news!!!

Regions tend to vote as blocks. Infantino probably voted for us as we had the better technical appraisals.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

The final to be in Sydney at ANZ stadium. no surprise there. we just don't have the football infrastructure here in Melbourne. All of the host stadiums are proper rectangular stadiums and the MCG was never part of the bid. the FA didn’t bother to try after the events of the 2022 world cup bid. I don’t even think Melbourne will get a semi-final. I’m tipping Brisbane and Auckland to get those.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Matildas are stinking it up recently, but it could have been much worse if the ESL had gone ahead. Players like Sam Kerr and others who play at the prospective ESL clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, ManU and Liverpool would have been banned from the upcoming World Cup and Olympics.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The Matildas got their pants pulled down 3-0, the Yanks scored after 24 seconds.

Simon's missed a deadset sitter from just about on the goaline, she could've fallen over and still scored.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Gustavsson's record as coach now 15 matches in charge for 3 wins, 9 defeats, 2 draws.

That's terrible, given our talent. Australia play with no method and we've been largely shyte since our super disappointing WC. Any well organised Euro side will spank us.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Gustavsson's record as coach now 15 matches in charge for 3 wins, 9 defeats, 2 draws.

That's terrible, given our talent. Australia play with no method and we've been largely shyte since our super disappointing WC. Any well organised Euro side will spank us.
Haha I knew you'd be all over this

• Love

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Haha I knew you'd be all over this

I am LOL, but 3 wins from 15 is baaaaad. Two of those came in the Olympics campaign - only one win in the group stage but we got lucky and qualified from third. We then beat GB in extra time after the Brits missed a gimme penalty. Lost to Sweden to miss out on the Gold/Silver game, then lost to USA to miss out on a medal. So our best ever run came from a two win tourney.

Outside that tournament, one win, if my maths is correct. No shame in losing to the US, but losing 3-0 at home is not good. At least it was a friendly.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I am LOL, but 3 wins from 15 is baaaaad. Two of those came in the Olympics campaign - only one win in the group stage but we got lucky and qualified from third. We then beat GB in extra time after the Brits missed a gimme penalty. Lost to Sweden to miss out on the Gold/Silver game, then lost to USA to miss out on a medal. So our best ever run came from a two win tourney.

Outside that tournament, one win, if my maths is correct. No shame in losing to the US, but losing 3-0 at home is not good. At least it was a friendly.
Do you think that maybe we are not that good, and are just over rated on the back of Sam Kerr

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

How many training camps etc has the team had over the past 2 years? they copped a couple of thrashings last year in the lead up to the olympics where the team had hardly trained with Gustavsson.
then yesterday they had 3 teenagers in the starting 11, including a 17yo.

while they appear to be a step behind the likes of the US and Sweden, they are right up there in the world.

(we do need another striker next to Kerr though.- Simon comes across as very likeable, and her record looks ok, but she never appears to actually play that well.)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
How many training camps etc has the team had over the past 2 years? they copped a couple of thrashings last year in the lead up to the olympics where the team had hardly trained with Gustavsson.
then yesterday they had 3 teenagers in the starting 11, including a 17yo.

while they appear to be a step behind the likes of the US and Sweden, they are right up there in the world.

(we do need another striker next to Kerr though.- Simon comes across as very likeable, and her record looks ok, but she never appears to actually play that well.)

Possibly, but the midfield is my main concern now. We always play down the flanks and never construct anything down the middle. We also get smashed by well organised teams who can carry the ball through our midfield.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Possibly, but the midfield is my main concern now. We always play down the flanks and never construct anything down the middle. We also get smashed by well organised teams who can carry the ball through our midfield.
The Matildas seem to play the same way as the guys, to an extent. lots of hopeful long balls.

Probably lucky to get a draw on Tuesday, but still better than a loss. Again tho too much cant be read into the result when neither team was full strength.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Matildas seem to play the same way as the guys, to an extent. lots of hopeful long balls.

Probably lucky to get a draw on Tuesday, but still better than a loss. Again tho too much cant be read into the result when neither team was full strength.

True Broderick. both sides had chances but the Yanks were killing us through midfield again... Mary Fowler still looking promising as an attacking mid/striker.

Better result so that's good.