Matthew Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Clarke

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I'm surprised more people aren't questioning this appointment.

It's like sacking Hardwick and appointing Lade for 3 years.

Recruiting manager along with head coach is probably the most important role at the club.

Did we head hunt the best? Did we look at the 2IC's of the best in the recruiting business such as Geelong Hawthorn Adelaide and even the bulldogs? Most senior coach apppintments come from the best 2IC's of the successful clubs. Why not recruiting?

Were we bold and ruthless enough to get the best? With all the criticism Frank and our recruiting has copped I was hoping for a thorough process and no expense spared to appoint the best candidate out there.

Clarke could turn out to be good but did we give ourselves the best chance to land the best?

Reactions: 1 users

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Harry said:

Recruiting manager along with head coach is probably the most important role at the club.

Did we head hunt the best? Did we look at the 2IC's of the best in the recruiting business such as Geelong Hawthorn Adelaide and even the bulldogs? Most senior coach apppintments come from the best 2IC's of the successful clubs. Why not recruiting?

Were we bold and ruthless enough to get the best? With all the criticism Frank and our recruiting has copped I was hoping for a thorough process and no expense spared to appoint the best candidate out there.

Clarke could turn out to be good but did we give ourselves the best chance to land the best?

While I cannot find out which state Clarke was recruiting from I did a search.
SA: Nason, Farmer, Contin and Westhoff (2009), Helbig (2010), Morris (2011), McDonough (2012), Gordon and Thomas (2013), Markov and A Moore (2015)
WA : Conca and Derrickx (2010), Verrier (2011), McIntosh (2012), Broad (2015)

AS someone posted previously, you can only have any idea about a recruiter if you look at the picks he found.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Brett Anderson who is well respected said Clarke is very well respected, from what i have heard he wasn't in agreement with FJ on a lot of selections, give him a chance, personally i would have preferred Luke Williams but i don't profess to know a lot about recruitment teams..

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Sometimes it is right to promote from within. The gun recruiters of today were once assistant recruiters themselves and were given a chance at some point in time.

I have no idea about Matthew Clarke one way or another but all that means is that for me it is just a wait and see.

thejinx

Go Tiges!
Dec 17, 2003
Melbourne, VIC
Geez lets hope the majority of those picks were FJ's call :eek:

Tough circumstances to give that role to someone who's never sat in the big chair before.

Whilst I agree that internal recruiting and promotion has it's benefits, you'd think in our current predicament we would hire someone with proven experience in the role.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Harry said:

Completely agree.

Leysy only hopes they get someone coming in over the top of him to replace Blair.

Our recruiting needs a massive injection of great IP from successful clubs just as much as our coaching and playing area's.

As it stands ATM leysy is non plussed and disappointed as well as we've missed that chance.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
For all the criticisms our recruiting department has copped I'm very concerned that we promoted from within. Are our internal talent identification, data analysis and rating processes the best practice within indusrty? What benchmarking did we do to understand why our recruiting has been so poor?

Also further concerned that Gale and Richardson were the ones making this appointment. They have form of lacking nous and making poor decisions with football matters. Job for a mate perhaps? You would think the new football manager should have some input into this crucial football role

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Agree again Harry.

Quite surprised that so many have lambasted our recruiting yet seem to be fine with us not going to market for the role to get the best external candidate we could, as it seems happened.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Harry said:
For all the criticisms our recruiting department has copped I'm very concerned that we promoted from within. Are our internal talent identification, data analysis and rating processes the best practice within indusrty? What benchmarking did we do to understand why our recruiting has been so poor?

Also further concerned that Gale and Richardson were the ones making this appointment. They have form of lacking nous and making poor decisions with football matters. Job for a mate perhaps? You would think the new football manager should have some input into this crucial football role
Shhh Harry. It's all good. Have no fear. The guys that made this selection are the ones that extended Hardwick for another 2 years. Gave Houli and Grigg contract extensions. What could possibly go wrong. We are fine. This guy is a recruiting genius who has been hampered by Francis Jackson.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
RedanTiger said:
While I cannot find out which state Clarke was recruiting from I did a search.
SA: Nason, Farmer, Contin and Westhoff (2009), Helbig (2010), Morris (2011), McDonough (2012), Gordon and Thomas (2013), Markov and A Moore (2015)
WA : Conca and Derrickx (2010), Verrier (2011), McIntosh (2012), Broad (2015)

AS someone posted previously, you can only have any idea about a recruiter if you look at the picks he found.
to be fair, Gordon had a great season for Balwyn this year.

Mappa

Tiger Superstar
Jul 3, 2009
Once again with the amount of data that's around on footballers coming through the draft etc. To me it's always been about recruiting the wrong type of players and having the wrong template. Too much emphasis on the good citizen, not best footballer mentality.

Whilst like many I have been disappointed on many occassions with our selections, if we are more prepared to follow a template of best football with athletic traits and skills rather than best citizen first things could improve very quickly.

Rather than pot this guy and the club and cast doubt for the sake of keeping a negative agenda running, let's give this guy at least a chance.

Don't think some can actually exist without finding fault on every front. (Once again ducking for cover)

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Harry said:

Tend to agree.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
It's pretty simple. At minimum your first 3 selections if not all have to be best available. If that means you get 3 midfielders with your first 3 picks so be it. Use your late picks, rookie picks and trade to grab players you need in certain positions. The Tiger recruiting department draft with the mindset of filling in the gaps. Conca being the standout. Best available with that pick was Heppel.

Expect more of this again this year.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Harry said:

One word, protectionism. The Tigers are in full protectionism mode right now.

Mappa

Tiger Superstar
Jul 3, 2009
FFS you guys have NO facts on this bloke NONE, at least get a bit of info before you stab him in the back

Backbone

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 21, 2008
My theory is that the timing of changing recruiting staff is a problem: Due to loss of IP from the club the recruiter is leaving, there's no way we'd get anyone across in time for this years draft. The most recent example of this is Silvagni, who's appointment was announced in December - after all trading and draft activity was completed.

So, if you just can't get anyone in from elsewhere, the next best option would be to put the guy in charge who you think had put forward better options than what we ended up selecting. Which also leaves Balmey the option to change things once he's seen how everything operates and what the recruiters are like (and also influencing things for this draft as well).