Matthew Parker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Parker

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not convinced he is best 22, but Parker has improved a fair bit. I really didn't think much of Parker last year but he is at a higher level now, needs to get better but certainly not a bust.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Gotta remember its his first preseason with us. He is a unique type and we dont have another 190cm guy who can play multiple positions with mongrel and pinch hit midfield and take a high mark

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Great depth player but was very slow to move it on sometimes - don’t think he his a fast thinker and he stopped some of our chains a couple of times as he fumbled or hesitated.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Just couldn’t get involved for most of the night spent most of his time second to the ball
Needs to lift

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Parker is certainly having a decent crack at a second chance but not sure we'd lose much by playing Sonsie or Clarke.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Playing the same role as Castsgna but on the opposite wing. Gut running is his go. My only criticism of him last night was he was not clean below his knees. A lot of second grabbing.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
This guy is urgent. When he takes his place in our swarm he can hold formation. I'm a bit of a fan. And, yes, he does want to fall over when the ball is at his ankles. Surely we can improve that.

Reactions: 3 users

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
Every team has players who are back-ups. Parker is not in our "fully-fit" best 22 but he's not leaving anyone guessing about his capacity to come in to the side and do his job. Yes he's a bit shaky at times but his endeavour and 'hard to match-up on' capabilities means he can fill the role he's given each week with a pass mark. Unfortunately for him when Dusty, Vlaustin and Lambo come back he'll probably be first omitted.

tbartiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2009
Qld
Every team has players who are back-ups. Parker is not in our "fully-fit" best 22 but he's not leaving anyone guessing about his capacity to come in to the side and do his job. Yes he's a bit shaky at times but his endeavour and 'hard to match-up on' capabilities means he can fill the role he's given each week with a pass mark. Unfortunately for him when Dusty, Vlaustin and Lambo come back he'll probably be first omitted.
Agree Maleny. And that’s fine, I suite like MP but objectively if you have him in your squad as a 23 to 27th player you’re doing ok. Types that can come in and cover injuries, stay within the system and are only a 10% drop on the injured player are gold. These are the guys that get you deep into September because they allow you to keep winning when a few of the best 22 are out. When better players come back he will drop out. That’s fine too.
The best 22 rarely plays on a given week.

Reactions: 3 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Agree Maleny. And that’s fine, I suite like MP but objectively if you have him in your squad as a 23 to 27th player you’re doing ok. Types that can come in and cover injuries, stay within the system and are only a 10% drop on the injured player are gold. These are the guys that get you deep into September because they allow you to keep winning when a few of the best 22 are out. When better players come back he will drop out. That’s fine too.
The best 22 rarely plays on a given week.
Yep this is it. Aarts/Dow for Prestia isn’t a 10% drop. Parker is 10% from the blokes he is replacing. Plus he tries hard and fans always love effort.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Parker's inability to execute a simple kick. To decide where to kick. To decide whether to run or dump. To look. These inabilities really stood out against the Crows. 15 disposals for 9 turnovers. 2 very good goal assists.

His poor ball use was match losing. He was pivotal in two early Crow goals. Had he used the ball when he got it we'd have won the game. The shot he took was a panic.

His hustle on Dawson and Doedee was better than George's. He was often effective on Dawson (7 turnovers).

Get ball, panic. It's something we saw from Grimes, Broad, Short, Marlion, Astbury. Even occasionally from the ever-reliable George, who never misses.

It's not necessarily chronic. At the very least we can treat it. Conservative use. Knowing where the outlet is. Getting someone to the outlet is a help.

Had Parker used the ball instead of destroying it there is no doubt in my mind we win that game. He didn't cost us the game because he cannot be expected to do much better at this stage. But he can improve his use.

He's another bloke who can improve if we get some structure and continuity. The 9 howler disposals were offset by some very urgent and smart running. And some real bite. Classes above Aarts.

He's a rare type. I like the good stuff he brings a lot.

Reactions: 7 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Parker's inability to execute a simple kick. To decide where to kick. To decide whether to run or dump. To look. These inabilities really stood out against the Crows. 15 disposals for 9 turnovers. 2 very good goal assists.

His poor ball use was match losing. He was pivotal in two early Crow goals. Had he used the ball when he got it we'd have won the game. The shot he took was a panic.

His hustle on Dawson and Doedee was better than George's. He was often effective on Dawson (7 turnovers).

Get ball, panic. It's something we saw from Grimes, Broad, Short, Marlion, Astbury. Even occasionally from the ever-reliable George, who never misses.

It's not necessarily chronic. At the very least we can treat it. Conservative use. Knowing where the outlet is. Getting someone to the outlet is a help.

Had Parker used the ball instead of destroying it there is no doubt in my mind we win that game. He didn't cost us the game because he cannot be expected to do much better at this stage. But he can improve his use.

He's another bloke who can improve if we get some structure and continuity. The 9 howler disposals were offset by some very urgent and smart running. And some real bite. Classes above Aarts.

All i want him to do is lay 10 bone crunching tackles a game and not allow anyone around him to get an easy possession. The goals or goal assists are a welcome addition.

He isn't bringing the heat right now and that's a massive problem if he is turning it over like he is currently.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008

Matt Parker brings good hustle and hassle but his execution is below average, and as you point out, costly.
The introduction of the Stand Rule should have put a line through recruiting him in last year's mid season draft, as this rule was designed to open the game up / dilute (Richmond's) pressure tactics, and in doing so increased the premium on kicking efficiency.
That Richmond went ahead and recruited him anyway suggests that at that point not only were they still in denial about the impact of the Stand Rule, but that they still thought they were in the 2021 premiership race.
If we are to be a serious contender this year, we need blokes that don't stargaze with ball in hand, can pick the right option, and don't turn it over.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
If he's getting game's we're in trouble for me regardless of his toughness.