Matthew Parker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Parker

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Just went through the highlights. An extrovert. Some OTT celebrations. A bit annoying. A tad un-Richmondy. Talent is there. Leap. Speed. Hardness. Loves a goal. But the noggin... clearly that was the question. If it has been sorted, or if we can sort it, could be good player.

sounds good to me

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
I liked him early days at the Saints but then he seriously went off the boil. I’m unconvinced but he is still young and maybe he has matured late into a better player like so many indigenous kids do.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Apparently came from nowhere in amateurs onto South Freo's list. Played 27 games there before going to St Kilda for 19 games in 2 years (ankle injury). Back at South for 7 games this season (stats below). Hasn't played a lot of footy or exposed to a great development system. I'd say this is a perfect Richmond moneyball pick.
View attachment 12496

Good numbers. 7 i50s a week is good wingmanship

Reactions: 2 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Very happy with this pick. Always thought he could become anything under the right environment. Unfortunately for him the Saints were/are a joke. This kid can play. Could be an absolute steal. With Marlion and other indigenous boys we have it could just be the culture he needs. He's pretty much the Castagna type but if he gets it right a better player. Also plays very tall for his height

Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I heard Brereton speak about him when he was doing a bit of work at the Saints. ... from memory, said he had fantastic skills and was also a ripping bloke. He's one of ours now so I wish him well.
This is what Dermie said back then:

Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton believes mature-age St Kilda recruit Matthew Parker has an abundance of untapped potential.

Parker, 23, has been an exciting addition for the Saints with his speed, dynamism and enthusiasm earning him cult-hero status at Moorabbin.

Taken at pick No.47 in last year’s draft, the Western Australian has impressed Brereton since taking up a part-time role mentoring the club’s forwards.

“(Matthew) Parker has so much upside it’s not funny - he’s got extraordinary talent,” the five-time premiership Hawk told SEN’s KB and The Doc.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
gotta be a record indig number on our list?

9?

pushing 25%.

my kinda overrepresentation

Reactions: 7 users

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
When watching St Kilda, I used to love his energy. Not overly skilled but has a crack.

Did not even know he was in the draft tbh.

Says he is 187 and 79 here Matt Parker WAFL

I tend to agree with a lot of the posts above, confusion really - but given our culture, our club and our care of our players he may explode. Only 25

Well worth the risk and hopefully everyone gets around him.

Has a lot to play for obviously, good luck Matty.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
This is what Dermie said back then:

Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton believes mature-age St Kilda recruit Matthew Parker has an abundance of untapped potential.

Parker, 23, has been an exciting addition for the Saints with his speed, dynamism and enthusiasm earning him cult-hero status at Moorabbin.

Taken at pick No.47 in last year’s draft, the Western Australian has impressed Brereton since taking up a part-time role mentoring the club’s forwards.

“(Matthew) Parker has so much upside it’s not funny - he’s got extraordinary talent,” the five-time premiership Hawk told SEN’s KB and The Doc.
Brenton rates him?
That’s the kiss of death.
Won’t make it.

• Haha

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
So what happen to us drafting Tyson Stengle Or Nathan Freeman as reported by the media?

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Sounds like a replacement for George unless he pulls his finger out.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Robbie McGhie 21st Century style. Didn't know he was indigenous. Looking forward to see how he fits in.

Reactions: 3 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Let's back our recruiting team yeah alot more talented then Robinson .Nice size 190cm, quick,hard at it, kicks goals did he play midfield this year in the wafl ?

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
gotta be a record indig number on our list?

9?

pushing 25%.

my kinda overrepresentation
I was thinking the same today.
We must be at the top of the pile by a mile.
I heard some stats by K Sheedy today and was surprised by the minimal number of West Aussie Indigenous players who have won GFs.
Reckon we can add a few to the list in September this year.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Just went through the highlights. An extrovert. Some OTT celebrations. A bit annoying. A tad un-Richmondy. Talent is there. Leap. Speed. Hardness. Loves a goal. But the noggin... clearly that was the question. If it has been sorted, or if we can sort it, could be good player.
Agree with the first four observations. His celebrations were way out in front of his actual achievements. I’m surprised by this selection and tbh a little wary. One would hope he is more mature second time round and lets his footy do the talking. I assume Matt Clarke has got a good read on him via Marlion and Kingsley etc and given Clarke’s credits, will bite my tongue.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I was thinking the same today.
We must be at the top of the pile by a mile.
I heard some stats by K Sheedy today and was surprised by the minimal number of West Aussie Indigenous players who have won GFs.
Reckon we can add a few to the list in September this year.
4 of our 9 indig players are from WA, Marlion, Parker, Shai & Syd
Shedda - SA
Dekka - Vic
Melee Mansell - Tas
Daniel & Junior - NT/Tiwi Is