Matty Knights (Herald Sun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matty Knights (Herald Sun)

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Knights may join Cats
12 September 2003 Herald Sun
By MICHAEL HORAN

FORMER Richmond champion Matthew Knights may join Geelong as an assistant coach to Mark Thompson.

Knights has just completed the first of a two-year contract as assistant coach and football operations manager of Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL, but said yesterday a return to Victoria was not out of the question.

Elite Sports Property boss Craig Kelly, Knights' manager, confirmed yesterday he would talk to Geelong on Knights' behalf.

"I haven't indicated that I've thrown my hat in the ring for anything over there, but obviously if AFL clubs have approached ESP, then obviously they've got to look at it on my behalf," Knights said.

The Cats will advertise at the weekend for two assistants after Norm Dare and Alan McConnell were told this week their contracts would not be renewed once they expired on October 31.

Knights is considering applying for the senior coaching position at Port Adelaide Magpies after Stephen Williams – brother of Port Power mentor Mark Williams – decided only two days ago to retire from the job after eight years at the helm.

RICHMOND will today unveil the biggest single sponsorship deal in the club's history.

The Tigers are expected to announce a $1 million, one-year deal with communications giant Motorola.

Since a rumour was floated on radio two weeks ago that the Tigers had Motorola in the pipeline the club had remained tight lipped about negotiations, with president Clinton Casey saying only "watch this space".

WJP

Tiger Rookie
Jul 28, 2003
VIC
Good luck to Knighter i hope he does well in his coaching career must be showing some potential if geelong are already looking at him.
Also heard that they were thinking about Mark Neeld as well, another former tige and also cat player

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Furhter to this Stephen Williams was seen talking ot Bomber Thompson during the week in Geelong. Could it be about Knights or about Williams in fact doign it although Williams has said he is retiring for aw hile from coaching.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
As much as I think Knighter was a Tiger champion and true legend in our club, I somehow don't get the impression he would make a great coach.

Sure, he's got the football brain, but he doesn't seem vocal enough from what I saw. I could imagine Benny Gale, because he seemed to be a vocal leader on the ground.

Just my drift on things. I think good coaches have that public profile of being excellent communicators, yet we never saw or heard Knights much at all.

I can't think of one player in the club at the moment who would make a good coach actually..........

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
I disagree BA I think the Knighter will make an excellent coach one day. You dont have to be a ranter and raver to get the point across. He certainly has the footy smarts and I think he had a lot of respect from his team mates. Was it Chris Newman with a few tears in his eyes after Knighters last game. Says something about the respect he generated in that kid!!

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Walster said:
Was it Chris Newman with a few tears in his eyes after Knighters last game. Says something about the respect he generated in that kid!!

Is was actually Pettifer. What were you saying about respect?? ;D

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
Apologies if it was Petifer ...he is always crying. But my point stands.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
I think Knighta will make an ok coach as long as he stays miles away from Punt Rd for good!!!

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
BalmyArmy said:
I can't think of one player in the club at the moment who would make a good coach actually..........

BA - I have said a couple of times that I think Leon Cameron would make an excellent coach. Great knowledge of the game, excellent communicator and appears to be a good tactician. And we all know about his skills

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
The longer he stays at Geelong the better....although in all seriuosness......if he ends up at geelong and noone from Richmond has approached him to fill the Tiggy Tiger mascot job then heads should roll he is perfect for it.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I've said it many times, Richmond should appoint Leon Cameron their skills coach at least.

Look at Richmonds failure to hit targets. Leon had a great kick and 99% of the time, hit the target.

I read that Leon Cameron was actually a right footer and once he did his knee early in his career, had to learn to kick with the left with greater effect. A season or two after, everyone would ask the question, is Cameron a left or right footer.

Future Tiger Champ

Tiger Cub
Jul 17, 2003
I was dissapointed to read that, would love to have Knights back at tigerland! But good luck to him, hope he does well! I have to agree with what was said about Leon Cameron, would love to see him come down as skills coach. The best possibility having both of them come down, although after the way knighter was unfairly treated by frawley (dropping the captaincy, and dropping him to the vfl a game shy of his 2nd 100 consecitive games, and some would say being pushed out of richmond, forced to retire) i cant see him setting foot while frawley is coach.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
During knights last year in 2002 he spent alot of time working with Newman, Hyde and Fiora - all the left footed kids.

I think both Newman and Fiora were a bit teary eyed, but Pettifer gave it a good old fashioned cry.