Maurice JNR | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice JNR

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
unfortunately with the coronavirus itll impact how much training and development he can get put into him this year at Oakleigh Chargers, hopefully Richmond accomodate him a bit more.

Plus side is that means he has more untapped ability for Richmond if he has less exposure to proper junior development training.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Sorry to use the Maurice Jnr thread , however was just thinking , how bigger impact this will have on this years draftess , always plenty of bolters, so this years crop is going to intriguing for years

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Sorry to use the Maurice Jnr thread , however was just thinking , how bigger impact this will have on this years draftess , always plenty of bolters, so this years crop is going to intriguing for years
Got a feeling that if there's stuff all footy for the rest of this year, most clubs will hold on to most of their existing lists. There'll be a handful of premium kids obviously drafted, plus some academy or father / son selections where clubs have a fair handle on and a special interest in the junior player n that might be about it. Reckon plenty of clubs might make do with two draft picks n upgrading a rookie or two at most. Clubs looking to do a major list refresh might have to hold off or take a punt on kids that have missed a major development year.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Headline in Hearld Sun today.
Which club will this Rioli choose.
Richmond Essendon or Fremantle.
Firstly whats Essendon got to do with him?
Secondly, i thought its common knowledge that he has already told us he is coming.
Who wrote this article????

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Secondly, i thought its common knowledge that he has already told us he is coming.

Some clueless wanker.

• Haha

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Is 100% going to Richmond. Only way he would change his mind is if Richmond tell him they arent interested

Reactions: 2 users

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Think he’s in Essendon’s NGA zone. But I’m pretty sure F/S takes priority over that and he’s going to choose us over Freo.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Freo, father son?

Does the Freo AFL side actually have much connection with South Fremantle, or East Fremantle for that matter?

Bit of a stretch I would think. I know Freo (AFL) are based at the Fremantle Oval, or at least were when I walked past it a few years back, but I thought they were a completely separate entity.

DS

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Cyril to return to AFL and play with Tigers and mentor Maurice for a couple of years. Big chance

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Matt Turner
The Australian
August 22, 2020

As one Rioli returns to the Northern Territory in Richmond colours, another is edging closer to following in his trailblazing father’s footsteps with the Tigers.

Maurice Rioli Jr — the son of the late Richmond and South Fremantle champion Maurice Rioli Sr, and cousin of current Tiger Daniel Rioli — is generating hype among recruiters after starring for AFLNT club St Mary’s over summer.

Dreamtime game rivals Essendon and the Tigers, who face off in Darwin on Saturday night, both have priority access to Maurice Jr in this year’s draft — the Bombers via their Next Generation Academy and Richmond as a father-son pick.

Fremantle also can take him as a father-son choice.

But the 175cm small forward, who boards at Melbourne’s Scotch College and is aligned to NAB League side Oakleigh Chargers, favours a move to Richmond. His dad is a club great with the Tigers as a three-time All-Australian, dual best and fairest and the first Indigenous player in the league to win a Norm Smith Medal, and fellow Tiwi Islands product Daniel has claimed two flags there.

St Mary’s co-captain Shannon Rioli said Maurice Jr had the classic Rioli traits exhibited by his other cousins, ex-Hawthorn star Cyril and West Coast goalsneak Willie: fierce tackling, repeat efforts, pace and an eye for goals.

“He’s a jet,” Shannon told The Weekend Australian.

“We keep saying with every Rioli that comes through, but he could be the best of the lot.

“He’s already been doing stuff with Richmond and I know other teams would be keen on him — they’d be silly if they weren’t.

“We knew he was pretty handy and from a young age he was always better than most kids his age, but last season he did some pretty special things. The way he’s going, it’s looking like Richmond.”

The hype grew in February after Rioli kicked four goals in a best-on-ground performance in a semi-final for St Mary’s, where his father began his career.

Former AFLNT talent manager Brenton Toy called Maurice Jr a ripping young man who had come a long way.

“He’s always been around footy and showed glimpses of brilliance, but as he grew into his body he showed he had everything — the attitude, intensity, footy smarts and cleverness around goals, but like his dad, his tackle pressure was outstanding,” Toy said.

Maurice Jr spent last season playing for Scotch, Northern Territory and St Mary’s, only lining up in a pre-season trial for Oakleigh Chargers, before Victorian competitions were shut down this year.

“He does some really flashy things and has got great ball control … and he would’ve played Round 1 for us, for sure,” Chargers talent manager Jy Bond said.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/71d07b9440f0416d442fb1ca9476420c

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We missed a real opportunity last night to have Balmey present him to the fans, Lion King style.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Great article, enjoyed it. Could really use that forward half tackle pressure and smarts around goal right now.
But we must give him time, especially after a lost year in development virtually.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I see The HS saying MRJ will be attending the AFL Draft combine, hope we get access to test results as I am very interested in how he performs.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I see The HS saying MRJ will be attending the AFL Draft combine, hope we get access to test results as I am very interested in how he performs.

Do we hope he tanks so we get him a lot cheaper. I get the feeling in these gloom and doom days that the club will select Jnr no matter what.

Reactions: 1 users