Maurice JNR | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice JNR

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He's definitely come a long way in regards to his body shape and training standards over the last 12-18months. Improved dramatically. I think being close mates with Ugle-Hagen has helped him see what standards need to be maintained to make it
Appreciate the info D.

Reactions: 2 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
The broad narrative on Richard Tambling was he was the best indigenous talent anyone had seen, ever.

Its not really a story without superlatives.

'MRJ could possibly be almost as good as Dean if he works on his speed, but absolutely no way will he be as good as Cyril or his old man'

isn't really a headline, is it?
That was true remember going up for Darwin for work and they raved about RT

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
That was true remember going up for Darwin for work and they raved about RT

With all the hype, I went along to his last U18 champs match at Princess Park and watched him exclusively for an hour,

...... and declared him a bust. I think it was my Josh Jenkins armchair recruiting moment. That is, completely and utterly alone.

I haven't seen MRJ play, but Id use our first if we had to and wouldn't care if he never played a game.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
hope EFC dont get too many picks for their departing horde. I could see the pricks throwing an early pick at Jnr just to screw with us. Sheedy will already be talking to Dadoro about it

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
hope EFC dont get too many picks for their departing horde. I could see the pricks throwing an early pick at Jnr just to screw with us. Sheedy will already be talking to Dadoro about it
You certainly wouldn't put it past them although I think Rutten and Caracella have serious football nous. The Bummers have got huge needs to find KPFs, inside mids and a quality running back distributor to replace Saad. They also have the SFs pretty well-covered with (the over-rated) Tippa and promising Mosquito.

IMO they would be crazy to spend a high pick on a relatively unproven MRJ when their other needs are so pressing. But, yes, it is Dodoro.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
MRJ is a longer term project , I anticipate 18m before he’d be ready , I’m tipping ess are a tad more impatient than that and will be seeking players that can impact asap ,,,,as mentioned sheedy could stir the pot , his love of indigenous players goes way back

• Sad

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Is there an actual rule, or an unwritten rule concerning a father son who nominates their preferred club prior to the draft? If it weren't for Dudoro and his past shenanigans this scenario wouldn't be even contemplated.

• Angry

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not to open a can of worms but I still think we ruined Tambling. When he ran out in that silver preseason jumper for the first time he was electric. Running bounces through the middle and kicking torpedoes.

I still think he was a special talent who was drafted by a club that couldn't give him the development structure he needed. If I could choose any Tiger to throw in a time machine and have redrafted to us in this era it would be him, I think he would be an absolute jet.

Agree. The kid had the talent, we threw him to wolves at the time.

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Not to open a can of worms but I still think we ruined Tambling. When he ran out in that silver preseason jumper for the first time he was electric. Running bounces through the middle and kicking torpedoes.

I still think he was a special talent who was drafted by a club that couldn't give him the development structure he needed. If I could choose any Tiger to throw in a time machine and have redrafted to us in this era it would be him, I think he would be an absolute jet.
The same thing would have happened to Buddy if we drafted him.

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006

I think the constant comparison to Buddy from media and supporters would have had an impact on him mentally as well. The pressure to perform and live up to being drafted ahead of him was there throughout his career

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The same thing would have happened to Buddy if we drafted him.
Agree. I seem to remember early in Franklin's career at the hawks that he had a chaperone assigned to him when he went out. May have been Sam Mitchell from memory.

The Witness probably played 80 games he shouldn't have at Richmond under Terry. No doubt the development of him was poor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
You can see the difference development and environment make when you look at how we used to get players with great potential and they didn't go on to realise their potential, but now we get players with seemingly less potential who have become important players in premiership teams.

Makes such a difference.

DS

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Though I agree that Richie would have been better developed in our current set up, it does irk me a bit that he still gets rolled out as the patron saint of draft busts whenever the conversation arises. He played 120-odd games and earned 9 brownlow votes (3 more than Grimes and Lynch put together). He wasn't Andrew Macleod, as some had hoped, but a quick check of his stats and career overview will show that he put together some decent games. When given a bit of continuity he was an OK AFL player, even in our dud environment. Mitch Thorp was taken the pick before Selwood wasn't he?
#freeblinger

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Its a nice hypothetical BR.

Although the single junior game I saw with my eyes suggested in real time that he was a touch soft and went to ground too easily,

I choose to believe your narrative.

If I could borrow your time machine just once, I'd either go back and watch Royce Hart, or *smile* on Mason Cox's spaghetti Bol the night before the '18 prelim.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users