Maurice JNR | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice JNR

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Aboriginal kinship systems are not always linear or logical in the way us white fellas might think. For example(in Arnhem Land) I call my father’s sister ‘mukul’(auntie) but I call her husband ‘waku’ (nephew). I also call my sister’s son ‘Waku’ but my brother’s son ‘gathu’ (son). I am often confused!

Reactions: 6 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Aboriginal kinship systems are not always linear or logical in the way us white fellas might think. For example(in Arnhem Land) I call my father’s sister ‘mukul’(auntie) but I call her husband ‘waku’ (nephew). I also call my sister’s son ‘Waku’ but my brother’s son ‘gathu’ (son). I am often confused!

I think we are as well ............. Specially now

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I saw plovers draw blood from people regularly as a kid.

They generally give you a few warnings and then if you are still in the area they go bang, with a nasty spike on their wings.
Plovers, say hello to my little friend.

_e162db5a-e4f6-11e9-a8aa-54897fdfe8ad.jpg

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Well planned method to distract oppo teams to pass on him , could have beaten the 2klm record

In case the Plover excuse did not cut the mustard, knee soreness after the vertical leap test was the back up o_O , (no way was Jnr completing the 2km test), he was however on record pace clocking 66 seconds for the first 400 metres, (extrapolate that out to 2km and 5 min 30 sec he finishes 2nd;):))).

“Due to his knee soreness and Maurice returning to the Tiwi Islands he has not completed the 2km time trial aspect of the combine testing. I can advise though his first 400m split for the time trial though was 66 seconds.”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I know players need to build a " tank " for the aspects of being able to regularly compete during the full course of a game. But I'm stuffed if I can understand why there is still such a strong focus on player 2 k and 3 k time trials. Even more than ever the game is about explosive burst sprints ( including to the interchange bench ) rather than the old school 70's / 80's game of onballers shuffling along from one end of the ground to the other with the occasional ten metre sprint thrown in for a bit of excitement.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
The 2/3k trials are just some indicator of endurance capability. It's pretty minimal; no real distance at all.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
There’s a nest down at my golf club.
During nesting they’re incredibly protective. They swoop in pairs or numbers and dive at you from fair heights and at decent speeds.
Nothing that a 5 iron can’t fix
Your best chance at scoring a few 'birdies', Dont?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I know players need to build a " tank " for the aspects of being able to regularly compete during the full course of a game. But I'm stuffed if I can understand why there is still such a strong focus on player 2 k and 3 k time trials. Even more than ever the game is about explosive burst sprints ( including to the interchange bench ) rather than the old school 70's / 80's game of onballers shuffling along from one end of the ground to the other with the occasional ten metre sprint thrown in for a bit of excitement.
Agree, tell me what Rioli would have blitzed a 2km trial, it is an irrelevant measure for them.

If correct here are M Juniors PRESEASON TESTING results, (funny no 2km results there either);

PRESEASON TESTING RESULTS:

Standing Vertical Jump: 60cm
Running Vertical Jump (R/L): 62cm/78cm
Speed (20m): 2.98 seconds
Agility: 8.11 seconds
Endurance (Yo-yo): 20.5

IF correct his Agility result would have him comfortably inside the Draft Combine Top 10
Sprint time of 2.98 sec is good, (As a guide Daniel Rioli recorded 2.89sec and Higgo was 3.10sec).
Yo Yo result I am assuming is fair? by the below description I could find on it

Agility Test:

AFL Draft Combine top 10:

1. Brodie Lake (NT Thunder/Central District) – 7.90 seconds
2. Mitchell Duval (West Adelaide) – 7.98 seconds
3. Harry Grant (GWS Academy) – 8.00 seconds
4. Nathan O’Driscoll (Perth) – 8.12 seconds
5. Denver Grainger-Barras (Swan Districts) – 8.13 seconds
6. Isiah Winder (Peel Thunder) – 8.18 seconds
7. Marc Sheather (Sydney Academy) – 8.23 seconds
=8. Kellen Johnson (West Perth) – 8.27 seconds
=8. Chris Walker (East Fremantle) – 8.27 seconds
10. Taj Schofield (WWT Eagles) – 8.31 seconds

What is the Yo Yo test and what is a good score:

The Yo-Yo intermittent test (level 1) usually takes between 6-20 minutes. A good score for male team sport athletes is over 20 in the test, and over 22 would be considered an excellent score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Agree, tell me what Rioli would have blitzed a 2km trial, it is an irrelevant measure for them.

If correct here are M Juniors PRESEASON TESTING results, (funny no 2km results there either);

PRESEASON TESTING RESULTS:

Standing Vertical Jump: 60cm
Running Vertical Jump (R/L): 62cm/78cm
Speed (20m): 2.98 seconds
Agility: 8.11 seconds
Endurance (Yo-yo): 20.5

IF correct his Agility result would have him comfortably inside the Draft Combine Top 10
Sprint time of 2.98 sec is good, (As a guide Daniel Rioli recorded 2.89sec and Higgo was 3.10sec).
Yo Yo result I am assuming is fair? by the below description I could find on it

Agility Test:

AFL Draft Combine top 10:

1. Brodie Lake (NT Thunder/Central District) – 7.90 seconds
2. Mitchell Duval (West Adelaide) – 7.98 seconds
3. Harry Grant (GWS Academy) – 8.00 seconds
4. Nathan O’Driscoll (Perth) – 8.12 seconds
5. Denver Grainger-Barras (Swan Districts) – 8.13 seconds
6. Isiah Winder (Peel Thunder) – 8.18 seconds
7. Marc Sheather (Sydney Academy) – 8.23 seconds
=8. Kellen Johnson (West Perth) – 8.27 seconds
=8. Chris Walker (East Fremantle) – 8.27 seconds
10. Taj Schofield (WWT Eagles) – 8.31 seconds

What is the Yo Yo test and what is a good score:

The Yo-Yo intermittent test (level 1) usually takes between 6-20 minutes. A good score for male team sport athletes is over 20 in the test, and over 22 would be considered an excellent score.
Have watched the Oakleigh Chargers boys do the Yo Yo a few years back. Most the boys had bailed out well before 20 and the boys that did make to and past 20 were in a world of hurt. So if Jnr did a 20.5 then there should be no real concerns with his endurance

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It's like most aspects of training, different people believe they get different things from it.

The 2/3km stuff is a bit of a reflection on the game now because that's about the average distance players go at high speed in games but clearly a dubious way to recreate that as there's obviously a lot of other factors at play in a game.

My personal thoughts are it is really just the easiest way to tick over the bodies systems without putting too much load through them and observe how they handle the sustained effort. I don't really care what the watch says for the most part, I want to see who is prepared to hurt and how long they are prepared to hurt for.

I always say if I want to know an athlete's physical capacity I'll put them in a lab but if I want to know their mental capacity I'll put them in a time trial.

In cycling the time trial is called the race of truth. You're out there on your own, no drafting, no team, just you and a clock.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
It's like most aspects of training, different people believe they get different things from it.

The 2/3km stuff is a bit of a reflection on the game now because that's about the average distance players go at high speed in games but clearly a dubious way to recreate that as there's obviously a lot of other factors at play in a game.

My personal thoughts are it is really just the easiest way to tick over the bodies systems without putting too much load through them and observe how they handle the sustained effort. I don't really care what the watch says for the most part, I want to see who is prepared to hurt and how long they are prepared to hurt for.

I always say if I want to know an athlete's physical capacity I'll put them in a lab but if I want to know their mental capacity I'll put them in a time trial.
Or put them through SAS Aust..( laugh )

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I saw plovers draw blood from people regularly as a kid.

They generally give you a few warnings and then if you are still in the area they go bang, with a nasty spike on their wings.
Correct, they're definitely territorial and more so when nesting!! And they have no fear and cannot be intimidated.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

Thanks TBR
It makes sense, but stupid question.
How do you/a recruiter assess when someone is not prepared to hurt compared to being unfit?
ie dont we just want a fast time?

Understand that its about showing determination and effort, but unless you,re standing there watching them all you can assess them on is the time

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Thanks TBR
It makes sense, but stupid question.
How do you/a recruiter assess when someone is not prepared to hurt compared to being unfit?
ie dont we just want a fast time?

Understand that its about showing determination and effort, but unless you,re standing there watching them all you can assess them on is the time
I know of one top potential draftee this year that buried himself in a time trial very early in the year and was so destroyed by his efforts that he spent the rest of the day in bed recovering while the other boys went on to other training and this is one seriously fit kid. His time was okay, nothing flash but his ability to keep pushing when he clearly had hit his limits were well noted by the coaches and recruiters.