Maurice JNR | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice JNR

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I think the constant comparison to Buddy from media and supporters would have had an impact on him mentally as well. The pressure to perform and live up to being drafted ahead of him was there throughout his career
It was also a lazy comparison.

There are so many factors that go into the drafting of a particular player, including, obviously, the club's needs at the time.

While I know the Tigers were heavily into Roughie, the fact is we had a very good forward line in 2004 but an average midfield.

Solid but limited players like Hyde, Fleming, Hartigan and Fiora were getting plenty of midfield minutes that year.

You could see why a player of Tambling's type appealed.

Not at the time nor in the years since have I thought we stuffed up the early part of that draft. I also still believe the Polo selection was defensible.

No doubt Meyer was a total bust and Pattinson a fair bust, but that draft is sometimes overstated as a debacle. It was a pretty thin draft.

Postscript: Brett Deledio to GWS gave us a first and third round pick in the 2017 draft. We bundled up those two picks (#15 and #54 -- Zac Bailey and Jack Payne) for Brisbane's #20 and #25 picks (CCJ and Noah Balta). The 2004 draft lives on!

Reactions: 7 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Though I agree that Richie would have been better developed in our current set up, it does irk me a bit that he still gets rolled out as the patron saint of draft busts whenever the conversation arises. He played 120-odd games and earned 9 brownlow votes (3 more than Grimes and Lynch put together). He wasn't Andrew Macleod, as some had hoped, but a quick check of his stats and career overview will show that he put together some decent games. When given a bit of continuity he was an OK AFL player, even in our dud environment. Mitch Thorp was taken the pick before Selwood wasn't he?
#freeblinger
Well said , I too chortle when the nuffys mention Conca in that context , he’ll end up playing 250 games, yea real bust , what % of draftees reach that milestone exactly

Reactions: 1 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Not to open a can of worms but I still think we ruined Tambling. When he ran out in that silver preseason jumper for the first time he was electric. Running bounces through the middle and kicking torpedoes.

I still think he was a special talent who was drafted by a club that couldn't give him the development structure he needed. If I could choose any Tiger to throw in a time machine and have redrafted to us in this era it would be him, I think he would be an absolute jet.
Yes, we sucked his love of footy right out of him. Needed a year at VFL to develop and he never got that chance. Look at Shai now. Was given time to develop and now is flying.

Reactions: 1 users

BetterTigers

Tiger Rookie
May 21, 2011
Interesting listen ..

0:50 – How have the Tigers recruiting team kept involved with the club while outside the hub?

3:25 – A look at the best performers in the WA All Stars game and South Australian finals over the weekend.

7:25 – Clarke gives his take on this year's draft group and the players who have impressed.

9:20 – We get an insight into how Victorian prospects will be ranked, with Clarke naming the players he was keen to see in 2020 before COVID-19 struck.

13:00 – How many picks will Richmond use at the draft this year?

14:25 – Will Maurice Rioli Jnr end up at Richmond as a father-son pick? Clarke gives an update on the talent.??16:00 – How do the Tigers balance being in the premiership window while drafting? The methods of staying on top of list management.

18:30 – The latest on Bachar Houli and the Tigers' group of uncontracted players as the off-season approaches.

22:10 – How recruiting is going to change post-COVID.

27:15 – The back story to Richmond's drafting of emerging backline star Noah Balta.

Reactions: 3 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I agree. He possibly wouldn’t have been the player he became if we picked him.
Probably would have been traded ...

I agree we had poor development , but he went to the crows to wasn't much chop either.Jarrod Oakley Nichols what was Greg Miller thinking when I seen him first game he couldn't even kick a footy for a pick 8 was he.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
If, as Clarke says, we're not likely to take many juniors, and Junior is a late or rookie pick, you have to question whether we should even use a valuable list spot on someone who needed development but has lost a year of that.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
My take on it is that MJR will be taken as a rookie for our final ND pick - not before.

He may be just trying to put the cools on him given all the other recruiters listen to the pod but based on past insights from Clarke he seems like a straight shooter.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
no way we don't get him earlier if a bid is placed

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
What are they going to use their first round pick on him?
I just don't buy into the whole MJR for a later pick, kids got some serious talent and if a mug like myself knows that there has been a Rioli play in the big game 7 times in the last 12 years then the recruiters do as well.
Won't be surprised if a team bids earlier than expected.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I would like us to play the premiership 22 in Round 1, purely because it would be the first time in history all members of a premiership team played together again.

But MoJu should definitely be in by finals.

Reactions: 6 users