Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Tigers08

Tiger Cub
Apr 25, 2015
A li
Geez he gets marked differently than a lot of our other players.
The bar must have been awfully low prior to a few decent games he’s played this year. After 33 games he’d want to show some improvement.
There has been improvement no doubt but let’s not get too carried away. His kicking is still suspect. Surprisingly he kicked. 2 goals that he should kick, still misses the absolute sodas. (But so did Dusty)

70% TOG, tank? But obviously a lot of hard running.
4 cp, 11 ucp.
7 marks, 1 contested. good improvement
4 tackles, 3 x 1%ers, worked hard
11 kicks 4 hbs at 64%.
9 effective disposals , so so

Compared to other players who cop some flak, an above average game for him. Improving.
But gee some people are getting carried away, he’s an improving player off a low base. Good to see, but he hasn’t made it to b grade star status yet :giggle:
A little bit of encouragement never goes astray for a young developing player. Some the negative Nellie's on here bring down the tone of the place.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
A lot is said about his kicking efficiency and I think its more to do with his disposals being memorable (either good or bad) because he takes risky kicks. He and some of the other young guys are clearly under instruction to take risky options to open up the corridor. With MRJ, Brown as 2 examples it shows how they are being coached and given the responsibility to set the game up. Its not about the now, but about teaching them the future.

Anyway I took a look at MRJ's stats to see how he stacks up against a few of our other similarly aggressive players with the way they use the ball. I don't think this includes last nights game as I don't think the AFL websites stats area has been updated yet, but season to date stats:

MRJ - Disposals - 45 - DE % = 64.4%. Effective kicks 15 - KE% = 57.7%, HB% = 73.7%. CP rate 45.8%
Bolton - Disposals - 113 - DE % = 67.3%. Effective kicks 76 - KE% = 59.7%, HB% = 80.5%. CP rate 41.4%
Martin - Disposals - 75 - DE % = 65.3%. Effective kicks 49 - KE% = 54.2%, HB% = 85.2%. CP rate 30.1%
Baker - Disposals - 103 - DE % = 67.0%. Effective kicks 69 - KE% = 55.8%, HB% = 82.9%. CP rate 36.3%
Av of above 3 - Disposals - 291 - DE % = 66.7%. Effective kicks 194 - KE% = 58.0%, HB% = 82.5%. CP rate 36.8%

I reckon he stacks up pretty well in pretty good company there. HB efficiency clearly stands out, which he needs to get better at, but I think his kicking efficiency is a bit of a furphy. He takes aggressive kicks and he'll turn some over.

BTW I reckon he's a prototype player for the G, no surprises that his best games have been at the G against the Swans and last night vs the Demons. I think he loves the big open spaces as he can get up to full speed. You'd think that Optus would have suited him but with the way the game was played (massive stoppage dominance by the Eagles) his game couldn't get up to speed.

He's been the biggest surprise packet of the season so far, and I'm loving seeing him blossom and take on those aggressive kicks into the corridor, he's clearly been given free reign by Ooze to do that and his grasping it with both hands.
Fair post Posh.
It’s not the risky kicks, it’s the 25-30 m simple kicks that don’t find a target when under hardly any pressure. Just like his shot for goal.
He’s not a good field kick, nor a good kick for goal. In fact I was pleasantly surprised when he kicked those 2 goals.
As I said, he’s improved but he’s coming from a manic chase down pressure forward, who has minimal possessions (understandable) but has been poor by hand and foot and fumbly. Has he improved there? Yes.
Has he room for improvement? You’d hope so, if that’s his standard, it’s nothing special. A pass mark..
But that’s only my opinion. Others think all of a sudden he’s become his old man this season. That’s their opinion and they’re entitled to it.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
A li

A little bit of encouragement never goes astray for a young developing player. Some the negative Nellie's on here bring down the tone of the place.
And some just give an honest critique rather than going into rapture overdrive and being in with the crowd.
You must have missed where I said he has improved

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Line trending up slowly. Definitely not a small forward. Will and can kick goals, but its hybrid mid/HHF. In 2-3 years when the new midfield is fully up and running Moz will look pretty good in it.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
What do you disagree with? Yep, I acknowledged that
not sure, I just like disagreeing with you

but yeah, MRJ is a high point this season so far. Surprisingly I'm enjoying the season despite losses every week and injury carnage.

Reactions: 3 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
not sure, I just like disagreeing with you

but yeah, MRJ is a high point this season so far. Surprisingly I'm enjoying the season despite losses every week and injury carnage.
Yeah well get *smile* then. 🖕😁
I‘m enjoying seeing players improve.
I’m hating the injury carnage, the *smile* umpires and the afl

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Totally disagree , why ?
Don’t think he is big on understanding game plan
Needs to simplify things and play to his strengths.
Getting possession inside D50 last night isn’t going to assist in winning games
Need to keep some structure when you gain back possession
You can’t put Rioli into the forward line and say “focus just on pressure acts and goals”

He’s clearly far more comfortable getting a feel for general play, the play that both teams allow between the arcs but brutally stifle behind the arcs.

He’s thriving as a link player, a surgical opener of play.

It’s good coaching. No one puts MoJu in the corner.

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You can’t put Rioli into the forward line and say “focus just on pressure acts and goals”

He’s clearly far more comfortable getting a feel for general play, the play that both teams allow between the arcs but brutally stifle behind the arcs.

He’s thriving as a link player, a surgical opener of play.

It’s good coaching. No one puts MoJu in the corner.

Yeah - his future is in the midfield, pinch hitting in forward line as necessary.

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
He is doing his best. Has come from a long way back. Was a project player. Would have been rookie listed only bombers bid on him so we had to take him.

Surprised many with his rapid development in first year and a bit but then flatlined to where he would of been expected to be.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I have been critical of MRJ for a while but have to admit that in the last couple of games his hard running, tackling, hassling and exuberance for the game has shown what good coaching and a bit of confidence can do. Still needs to take more of his chances in front of the sticks though. Whilst still goes into headless chicken mode at times, there is a lot to like in his progression under Yze. As I have posted elsewhere, the Rioli gene seems to have started to blossom in him.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just like his ol man.

Wouldn't go that far, but we can hope.

If he ends up being half the player his father was he'll be a great player. Maurice senior was sublime.

Mind you, Maurice senior came in after playing for a few years in the WAFL whereas Maurice junior is learning in the AFL, so senior had already developed as a player before he got to Richmond.

DS

Reactions: 1 users