Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

If he can start to pull off moments when he takes on too much, he could build some real conviction in himself to start cracking games in two

Reactions: 1 user
His bad errors IMO were the right decision but poor execution. I reckon the coaches will cop that. But the way he responded after those errors was brilliant. Manic pressure is priceless

Reactions: 8 users
Fwiw, Cotchin was always a crappy set shot too.

We just haven't fully realised that Maurice is a Midfielder yet.

Reactions: 1 users
His bad errors IMO were the right decision but poor execution. I reckon the coaches will cop that. But the way he responded after those errors was brilliant. Manic pressure is priceless
We have to be better and demand better as a baseline I think. Trick for Moju is to get the balance between errors and positives in check. He seemed to only stuff up when under no pressure.

I will put my head above the parapet on the subject of MRJ and base my opinions on what I was watching on a TV screen.
I acknowledge his tackling, harassing and pressure is top drawer but what lets him done time and again is his poor handling, rushed decision making, poor kicking and unforced errors especially when under pressure. Every one of his good points and bad points were on show today and for me, his bad points have no place at the highest level of footy and makes a game harder for his teammates.
Edit. I listened to Yze after match report and he said essentially the same thing so my comments must have some validity

Last edited:
I will put my head above the parapet on the subject of MRJ and base my opinions on what I was watching on a TV screen.
I acknowledge his tackling, harassing and pressure is top drawer but what lets him done time and again is his poor handling, rushed decision making, poor kicking and unforced errors. Every one of his good points and bad points were on show today and for me, his bad points have no place at the highest level of footy and makes a game harder for his teammates
Need to see him at the game.

I know it's not possible for some. But, keep in mind that you're only seeing half his value. I just watched the 4th on TV, and it in no way shows what he did.

Reactions: 3 users
He chases backsides all game did a few good things but wow when he *smile* it up he really *smile* it up

He was fantastic. The 2 mistakes he made were whilst being aggressive. But his workrate was enormous and he showed real composure in tight moments. His best game ever for the club by a mile.

CT might be on to something that he is a midfielder. His link work was impressive. He should draw enormous confidence from that game.

And I like that Ross went and encouraged him after that second turnover, shows the boys are supporting each other.

Reactions: 9 users
By far the best game Moju has played for us. His work rate, pressure and intensity was bloody awesome. Sadly at the moment it's still his decision making and ball use that often undoes a hell of a lot of his excellent work. If he keeps that type of work ethic as his baseline game and tweaks up a little polish as the year goes on and he gains that bit more experience and in game poise he'll be a damn fine player yet.

Was immense in the 2nd half. Has never had 17 disposals before. Highest last year was 11 in rd1. I noticed he didn't try to take on players as much but just used 1st viable option. I think the manic defensive pressure of Mansell and Campbell also helped the efficiency of his own pressure, a team effort. No-one's complaining if he plays like that every week, or even every 2nd week. I saw a bit of his father in that play in that last quarter. Well done, now have to show it consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Calm down fellow Punt Rolllers.
Is he the best crumbling foward in the comp? NO.
The issue with little Rioli is I haven't seen any improvement from last year or the year before.
He needs to add more to his game besides pressure.
He needs to get sticky hands, he double/triple handles.
I would give another 2 games and see if his confidence grows.
Got your wish Zips.?

A lot of mention of this mistakes. He takes the dangerous option. Sometimes silly, yes, and kicking can be floaty, but every single pass he stuffed had a target in a dangerous position.

Keep going junior. Keep trying to hit those 45 degree passes.

I mentioned this in the gameday thread, his 1st thought was always corridor use. He turned it over a number of times but importantly didn't waiver from that endeavour. I thought his ball use 2nd half was very good, at 1 point he lined up in the 3rd for a shot at goal and they flashed his stats up, was something like 3 HB,s 4 kicks at 43% DE which wasn't great. He then missed the setshot which goes down as an inefficient disposal so at that point was 8 disposals at 37.5%. To finish at 59% from 17 disposals his next 9 went at nearly 80% and that included corridor use. That 2nd half was the best I'd seen him play, made his tackles stick, took offensive options and some of them were lazer like kicks.

Reactions: 9 users
Give it to him, he looked AFL standard. Almost like he felt he belonged best 22 and was just another cog, not a Rioli trying to be a Rioli

I noticed he didn't try to take on players as much but just used 1st viable option. I think the manic defensive pressure of Mansell and Campbell also helped the efficiency of his own pressure, a team effort. No-one's complaining if he plays like that every week, or even every 2nd week. I saw a bit of his father in that play in that last quarter. Well done, now have to show it consistently.
Good observation. Someone noted a few weeks ago that perhaps he lacked vision and that is why he often tried to do too much?

Most times today he took the first option.

Maybe he sees too much?

Whatever, he played a key role in the win and hopefully draws confidence from that performance.