Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Yes but I want to know where 1983 Jamie Lee Curtis fits in

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Think we've accidently found a much needed new cog in our midfield.
Bolton & Mrj rotating fwd/mid.

They werent sideways kicks.
They were corridor smash open the game kicks. Poor execution that resulted in swans goals.
But not sideways crabs.

Fir the last couple years we've had Dusty and who? able to pierce the ball through the bad guy pack. Seriously weve had no one so our options are bang it long down ths line.
Now we have Brown. Sonz. And MRio. We need it.

At the game i thought it was the wrong decision. Not the right time. Not the option. But thats the price to give the kids experience. Love it

I'll happily have Brown and Sonz biting off what they can chew rather than JNR biting off what he can't. Why do I say this? I watch every training session and JNR does not regularly hit 30 metre targets even under no pressure so I would say the percentages of success on game day are 50/50 and turnover kills.
Having said that it was easily JNR's best Senior game for the club, pressure rating enormous, presented well, (which is not always the case), and actually provided a target forward rather than just chasing tail.
Still needs to take some simple options and give off earlier to better positioned players rather than attempting to dodge and weave too many opponents which quite often comes unstuck.
I'll forgive him one such dance yesterday when I was critical at the time but on replay he was blatantly tripped, (no free of course), which prevented his great escape.
Hitting the scoreboard would be a welcome addition.

With Seth, JNR, Mansell we at least now have some pressure smalls, I can see Seth becoming the most regular goal scorer of the bunch. Shai I don't class as a small forward, is even a better midfielder, just a superstar with a licence to roam will do just fine.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
They werent sideways kicks.
They were corridor smash open the game kicks. Poor execution that resulted in swans goals.
But not sideways crabs.

Fir the last couple years we've had Dusty and who? able to pierce the ball through the bad guy pack. Seriously weve had no one so our options are bang it long down ths line.
Now we have Brown. Sonz. And MRio. We need it.

At the game i thought it was the wrong decision. Not the right time. Not the option. But thats the price to give the kids experience. Love it
No, no, no...they were coachkiller kicks.
He is playing seniors now and needs to be better in that regard.

What about the play inside D50 in the last. Ball being kicked over his head to Mitchell who had the sit on him. MoJu got a hand on it to spoil, beat him at ground level, spun out of trouble and set Taranto clear by hand. Brilliant. Got me out of my seat.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
No, no, no...they were coachkiller kicks.
He is playing seniors now and needs to be better in that regard.
Yes they were coachkillers.
Yes Caeser is right that we want players to gotta know their limitations.

But they werent sideways kicks. They were attacking kicks. And tye coach asking Rioli to attack more. To stretch his limitations

Reactions: 1 user
What about the play inside D50 in the last. Ball being kicked over his head to Mitchell who had the sit on him. MoJu got a hand on it to spoil, beat him at ground level, spun out of trouble and set Taranto clear by hand. Brilliant. Got me out of my seat.

My favourite piece of play, and the simple handpass to Taranto running past is what i'd like to enter JNR's thoughts more often.

Reactions: 1 user
He's got flaws but he's also a line breaker
Much rather junior trying to be a creative link man than just a defensive forward, he's much better than that.

Reactions: 6 users
I'll forgive him one such dance yesterday when I was critical at the time but on replay he was blatantly tripped, (no free of course), which prevented his great escape.
Told you he was tripped mate.;):LOL:

I like him taking it on but you're right finding the balance will hopefully come with experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So we’re not delisting him now?
I reckon we are doing what we were always doing which is seeing whether he can demand a spot on the list or not. We are seeing whether he is good enough.
He may not be but we will find out this season.
Nothing has changed imo except he played one good game. He needs some more of the same

Reactions: 3 users
Yze:

“We just gotta get him to take a breath when he gets the ball.”

Hallelujah. Been banging on about this for 18 months.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah. But you can see how much untapped ability we have in MRj. That missed kick in last qtr, he just needed someone to tell him to stop and wait as he had nothing forward. Right idea to get it moving but didn’t fully think through it.
I thought he was trying to take his time but then he was called to play on… and I’ll need to have another look at it…. But don’t reckon he’d moved off his line

Reactions: 2 users
I said to my sons yesterday if MJ doesn’t show something this year, I think he will be gone at seasons end. We have others coming through. Got howled down as being an idiot. Thought he was overall very good yesterday. And I would think clearly the most disposals he has previously had. Made some blues. Couple costly as he went inboard and missed the target and we were then caught out of position. Decision poor? Or execution? It was a risky option but, for a change he was trying to make the play. My criticism in the past is been he has been too reactive. Greta player, like his old man, but often letting the opposition get the ball first and then tackling. Yesterday he was trying to make the play more than I had noted in the past. The play that he was tripped on would have been on every channels highlights reel for the next week if he hadn’t been tripped and the umpires missed it. More of that and he is a stayer.

Yes they were coachkillers.
Yes Caeser is right that we want players to gotta know their limitations.

But they werent sideways kicks. They were attacking kicks. And tye coach asking Rioli to attack more. To stretch his limitations
They were sideways attacking kicks. MRJ needs to keep it simple with his disposals. He was very effective with those disposals yesterday. He's not one you want drilling a kick to a team mate in the middle of the ground surrounded by opponents. I really don't think the coach has asked him to stretch his limitations, on the contrary I felt he tried less to take the game on with the ball in hand (where he has continuously been caught) and focus on first option disposal. And it paid dividends.

Yze:

“We just gotta get him to take a breath when he gets the ball.”

Hallelujah. Been banging on about this for 18 months.
Has to learn to breath through his ears.
Kevin bloody Wilson could do it