Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
The more of the ball he sees the better he gets. Consigning him to a chase and tackle role seems a waste. Would love to see him in the middle eventually.

Reactions: 5 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Good signs because he looked maybe getting delisted and credit to Yze sign of a good coach when players improve.

Reactions: 2 users

Webbie26

Tiger Rookie
May 17, 2023
Yze definately is giving this lad confidence you can see it in his game. I think dow on the other hand is being overcoached need to just see ball get ball hes lost all ability to get a clearance worrying about his position and stopping his man! Back to maurice how clean has he been lately kid is a genuine player and thank *smile* because we dont have many of them

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yze definately is giving this lad confidence you can see it in his game. I think dow on the other hand is being overcoached need to just see ball get ball hes lost all ability to get a clearance worrying about his position and stopping his man! Back to maurice how clean has he been lately kid is a genuine player and thank *smile* because we dont have many of them

I think you are giving Dow more credit than he deserves there. I just don't think he's very good. He's now played 23 games over 6 seasons. How many of those have been average or better? No many IMO. He's below average in every stat thats meaningful. Doesn't win his own ball, doesn't get many uncontested possession, doesn't rack up the tackles. Not sure what he's actually that good at, we were told it was ball winning, but outside of the Sydney game, 1 centre clearance from 77 CBA's is very poor.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
He can definitely bring something different, seems to read the game better now in terms of marking and getting just enough space on his man. Kamikaze tackling. Ambitious.

Just needs to sort those set shots out... Would also like him having a run in midfield given our injuries.

I think his reading of the game is the biggest difference, it is stark. He seemed all at sea reading the game until this year, something has clicked. There is far more to work with now.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
His overhead marking seems to have improved as well.

Still some work to do, but getting better.

Reactions: 6 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Really? First 4 Disposals were ineffective. Had 3 effective for the game and 3 turnovers. His lack of awareness showed out again. How do you play on and kick into the man on the mark 5 metres out? He's is at least doing some scintillating cameo things, that goal was classy and taking some marks. Defensively did not much today. 1 tackle. Only 11 pressure acts. For comparison Mansell and Campbell had 26 and 16.

Not on his lonesome but not a great game. Better than last year on average.
Mate he had 3 i50 marks in the first quarter.
Thats unreal for a small.
Yes he mozzed it because young kids have composure only sometimes. But his forward movement and running patterns were up.
He keeps improving

Reactions: 5 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Marking is definitely on the improve. Give him some time in the middle now.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Marking is definitely on the improve. Give him some time in the middle now.
While our midfield is so depleted, I’d definitely give him some bursts at centre clearances. That’s when he’s looked best at VFL level.

Hasn’t got the tank to be a true midfielder but can go in bursts when the contest comes to him - centre bounce and stoppage.

Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
His trajectory is up, 21 years old. His kicking needs work but I was pleased by that goal, he wasn't 15 metres out and it shows his shoe is not as bad as many thought.
Decision making by foot, that needs work. Like the coach says, needs to slow down just a touch.
The best thing is in my mind that he has gone from being an almost certain bust to potentially an AFL player. Like a few of us I saw a glimpse watching vfl last year, electric over 10-15 metres.
Different players mature at different speeds.

Reactions: 2 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
He is improving which is a positive. If he can eliminate the turnovers - brain fades & produce more of that goal where burst through 50 he will be a dangerous forward for us for years to come.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Great to see him improve and do well. He is exactly what we need in our forward line. Bolton is all class, fast, slippery, high flying and goal kicker, MJ is a running machine, tackler and now becoming a link player. Dusty is Dusty. Having the two power forwards back with Myketi in, our forward will be powerful.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I'm not keen on him in the midfield just yet.
What we see is dynamic play - quick bursts, chase down tackles.
Whats also there (to me) is someone slow to defend and lax on defensive positioning.
Its not a harsh criticism, like many young footballers its a big adjustment.
He needs to move earlier to join the zone, to move across the ground, to get into position.
So instead of a chase down bullet from out of the screen, he is closer.
And it will conserve his energy.

IMO he will leak like a sieve if he plays midfield. But will make up for half of it with frantic defense.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I'm not keen on him in the midfield just yet.
What we see is dynamic play - quick bursts, chase down tackles.
Whats also there (to me) is someone slow to defend and lax on defensive positioning.
Its not a harsh criticism, like many young footballers its a big adjustment.
He needs to move earlier to join the zone, to move across the ground, to get into position.
So instead of a chase down bullet from out of the screen, he is closer.
And it will conserve his energy.

IMO he will leak like a sieve if he plays midfield. But will make up for half of it with frantic defense.

Slow to defend?

I...

What?

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I know what you're trying to say, but no.

No no way.

In my opinion, of course.

His defensive positioning is the best I've seen in the contest. He goes a step beyond where the ball is to where it's going. He does sometimes over commit streaming in from the forward line, but that's because he's starting position is a forward at the moment.

When he played mid at VFL level, he was a defensive wall.

If anything, he has to learn when to position himself more attacking. He's starting to hunt the ball a bit, and it's great.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I know what you're trying to say, but no.

No no way.

In my opinion, of course.

His defensive positioning is the best I've seen in the contest. He goes a step beyond where the ball is to where it's going. He does sometimes over commit streaming in from the forward line, but that's because he's starting position is a forward at the moment.

When he played mid at VFL level, he was a defensive wall.

If anything, he has to learn when to position himself more attacking. He's starting to hunt the ball a bit, and it's great.
I think he can be slow to switch from attack to defense. The transition running.

Obviously he's not slow when chasing down a bad guy. But I'm suggesting he can get into the defensive position earlier, he can make up ground earlier and so not always need to rely on extreme pace to make the contest.
FWIW i think we have too many slacking in this regard, some with licence.

Different role and much easier from behind the ball, but Broad is a tremendous example of early positioning.

I Can see what youre saying that he sets up well at stoppage. I'll take your point, its great he can do this.
I've been focused on the transition and wider ground movement, where I think improvement is needed.

The good news is that Moju is improving each week!

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
that running goal put a massive smile on my face.

there's Maurice Jnr in full flight.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
that running goal put a massive smile on my face.

there's Maurice Jnr in full flight.
What I don’t understand Baron is that he kicked that from 40 and it went through easily but sometimes when he has a set shot he can’t kick 35.
Is there something wrong with his set shot routine ?