Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
What I don’t understand Baron is that he kicked that from 40 and it went through easily but sometimes when he has a set shot he can’t kick 35.
Is there something wrong with his set shot routine ?

Its a strange one. He kicked 1 from 50 either against Sydney or the Saints too so he can get the distance. Not sure what he does with some of the closer ones, maybe he doesn't try and kick through it and then connects poorly.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Very different trajectory for a set shot (if you kick over the man on the mark) vs a running shot with no one in front of you. Probably something to do with this.

The stand rule has impacted this a little too which some players have taken advantage of.

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
Very different trajectory for a set shot (if you kick over the man on the mark) vs a running shot with no one in front of you. Probably something to do with this.

The stand rule has impacted this a little too which some players have taken advantage of.
First part of that is to tell him to take an extra 5 meters back from where he wants to start his runup!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
As Tigerman said the best part of that electric running goal was it reminded (those old enough to remember) a little of the movement of the old man.

Exactly. And there was spin out of tight traffic last week as well.

Reactions: 1 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Maybe he is starting to feel like he belongs at the level & has been given some freedom to show some flair. That would make a huge difference.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Mate he had 3 i50 marks in the first quarter.
Thats unreal for a small.
Yes he mozzed it because young kids have composure only sometimes. But his forward movement and running patterns were up.
He keeps improving
As I said I'm encouraged by the positioning, something he has been poor at. 2nd quarter was his most effective. He had only 1 touch, 1 turnover in the 2nd half and 3 effective disposals and only 11 pressure acts for the game (usually his strength) . But he has definitely improved so far this year on last year. This was not a great game for him though.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
As I said I'm encouraged by the positioning, something he has been poor at. 2nd quarter was his most effective. He had only 1 touch, 1 turnover in the 2nd half and 3 effective disposals and only 11 pressure acts for the game (usually his strength) . But he has definitely improved so far this year on last year. This was not a great game for him though.
Not a great game for most Tigers. Even Lefau looked good early and late when the pressure was off.

In fairness to Rioli he had little opportunity and most of the time the ball movement wasnt conducive to a Rioli game.
Cant blame the half forwards for it!

He probably tired in the 2nd half so endurance is still an issue. Chasing tail isn't easy. But improving each week. Lets hope we see him continue all year

Reactions: 2 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Still not completely sold on MRJ but admit he put a real shift in tonight and showed he has got his confidence up and now looking like a small forward should. Can run, can tackle, can mark and can kick goals. Another game like tonights and I will be sold on him

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Bit of a watershed game tonight from Maurice.

Confidence is back and growing.

Use this year to fast track him get him in amongst the footy.

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
If ……. he continues to improve at the rate he‘s achieved over recent weeks - we have a long term prospect
Good signs

Reactions: 1 users

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
I like that he's not just playing as a pressure forward now and spending all his energy running around chasing blokes. He's getting his hands on it and contributing with ball in hand now as well. He's building nicely

Reactions: 8 users