Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Gotta remember with MJ he’s still only 19 too, and coming from a background and standard that’s not he pathway most follow, and is a massive massive way from senior AFL football so you’d like to think he still has a LOT of development left in him.

He’ll continue to make mistakes for a while, but the potential is there. Definitely.
Spot on
The good thing is that they are different mistakes now - the result of trying to be so much more creative
Last year I recall him fumbling uncontested overhead marks
And he struggled to kick 40m
This season his game been on a definite upward curve and if he and we can just allow him time - it should be a joy to watch him over the next few years

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Plenty of Cyril about Maurice - low possessions but maximum impact. This may well sound ludicrous - but he plays at todays level or higher for the rest of this year and I think we can win the flag. Changes everything.
And we all know what happens when a team goes into a GF with a Rioli.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Gotta remember with MJ he’s still only 19 too, and coming from a background and standard that’s not the pathway most follow (ie TAC CUP, WAFL etc) so you’d like to think he still has a LOT of development left in him.

He’ll continue to make mistakes for a while, but the potential is there. Definitely.
So. This.

Already he creates such speed in the oppositions movement coming out of our backline. And the energy in the crowd, we are screaming for him to create chaos. With our crowds, that creates more heat on opposition back lines.

Not sure I’ve seen a player without the ball create this type of impact. The MoJo era is going to be so fun.

Reactions: 10 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Massive impact on how we play. Brings the chaos our game is built on. Can’t wait for September.

Reactions: 1 user

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
As good a 12 possession game as I can recall from a small forward. His pressure which is not included in the possie total was tremendous. Absolutely outstanding as to what he did to tackle, harass, spoil etc. To the other clubs that tried to get him in Freo and Essendon, I say……stiff sh-t………

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
12 possessions 9 score involvements 2 goals. Complete package by a small forward.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Gotta remember with MJ he’s still only 19 too, and coming from a background and standard that’s not the pathway most follow (ie TAC CUP, WAFL etc) so you’d like to think he still has a LOT of development left in him.

He'll continue to make mistakes for his whole career, and while I will curse them at the time, on reflection I'll applaud because making mistakes is part of taking on the game. MRJ can take on the game, not all players can, at 19 he looks the goods, if he develops well he'll be a certified star by 23.

DS

rat bastad

I'm a llama!
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
Watched MRJ closely today at the game.

A man possessed to will himself to every contest, even ones he can't possibly get to.

Electric.

Reactions: 5 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Sitting on the wing he was like Pac-Man With the power pill gobbling up the turf and then the opposition ghosts shitting themselves.

Still not one touching much but the pressure is otherworldly. Never seen anything like it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Moju applies the perfect pressure to an opposition defence. It's the pressure that comes from the fear of being embarrassed. Being chased down and tackled deep in defence, oblivious to what was about to hit them, and then having it replayed on TV over and over for the week.

The way he plays reminds me of Taz
89-895697_tasmanian-devil-png-photo-background-transparent-png.png

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Ive been very quite on PRE recently as i have gone off footy with the standing rule and also our slide a little last year, been so invested last 10 years.

Ive seen some criticism of MJ over past few months and couldnt quite understand, hes a young player who hasnt gone through traditional pathways, his pressure has been exceptional, ALL Year, yesterday was another level...

Exciting times, shouldnt play VFL again unless a massive form drop off.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
When I checked the stats after the game couldn't believe he only had 12 disposals. Just shows how good his chasing & pressure etc is to have so much influence on a game.

Reactions: 1 user