Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Best pressure player in the team but 2 effective disposals, zero after half time just doesn't cut it for me. Yes is young, yes has only played 19 games so needs to be given some slack. My biggest concern is despite his speed, he doesn't seem to be very evasive and atm appears to lack a bit in peripheral awareness. Need to keep at it but may be under pressure to maintain his spot in the team later on if he can't improve in that areas.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Best pressure player in the team but 2 effective disposals, zero after half time just doesn't cut it for me. Yes is young, yes has only played 19 games so needs to be given some slack. My biggest concern is despite his speed, he doesn't seem to be very evasive and atm appears to lack a bit in peripheral awareness. Need to keep at it but may be under pressure to maintain his spot in the team later on if he can't improve in that areas.
I’m not sure Clarke wouldn’t be adding more at this point , Clarkes foot skills are in our top 3 as MJs are closer to the bottom half , actually I think I’d prefer both playing

Reactions: 2 users

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
He cant be left to do it all on his own.

The amount of time the ball just bounced out of the forward line with no pressure is a massive worry. We cant go 3 big tall players with Dusty not tackling as well

Reactions: 3 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Was great yesterday. Ran his guts out back and forward. Put the fear of Rioli into them.

He had three 99% beautiful kicks diagonally into the midfield from the wing, the super dangerous ones that we need to get more of into our game. Unfortunately they floated for 3 nanoseconds too long and got intercepted, creating Adelaide shots on goal. But they were brilliant anyway. We just need to keep encouraging him to play that attacking footy through the centre.

Definitely played higher up than he did last year, outside of the VFL.

I just love the way he always keeps the ball alive and moving in attacking ways.

He's a talent who'll just keep getting better.

Reactions: 3 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
May not have got big numbers today but the Crows will know they were in a match with MRJ. Still a little raw at times but has so much upside
He had a crack and a few times bit off more than he could chew with some high Risk transition being turned over , he ll have better days at the office , I’m adamant he needs a another like player to assist in this role , not convinced mansell is that player however he has the backing of dimma right now and is doing ok

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Too much being asked of MRJ with the current forward line. Perhaps with Broad likely to be out the team structure can be rejigged to help him provide pressure in the forward half.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Maurice has to be better with the ball. Its a tricky one because his pressure is elite, and we need it, but man cannot live by pressure alone. Not sure who comes in but looks like he needs a stint in the seconds.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Has to tidy up his skills & decision making, especially by foot. Was awful tonight.

Fumbles far too much for me too. Back to VFL to work on these deficiencies. Clarke to stay in his spot.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Maurice has to be better with the ball. Its a tricky one because his pressure is elite, and we need it, but man cannot live by pressure alone. Not sure who comes in but looks like he needs a stint in the seconds.
Very good post. Maurice butchers it. He needs to be a lot better with the pill. He has a lot of mates.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Must be dropped.
Disposal and decision making not AFL standard
Problem is, his pressure is so good. Not sure we can cover him in that area. Might have to take the good with bad, and hope he gets better in the disposal area. Otherwise I agree will be a liability moving forward if he can sort out that area of his game.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Has to tidy up his skills & decision making, especially by foot. Was awful tonight.

Fumbles far too much for me too. Back to VFL to work on these deficiencies. Clarke to stay in his spot.
If you could combine MJs pressure with Clarke's kicking you'd have a serious player.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
I'm not seeing it yet with MJ.
I think we see elite pressure skills but we also see inconsistent foot skills (at best), fumbling, poor decision making & also slow reaction (and even movement) when he’s in possession or attempting to create the play.

It’s hard being the son of a legend & not thinking for a moment he should be as good as his dad, but there’s things with his game that should be better by now. I’d also question the development coaching he’s had or is getting.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Remember his uncle had a bad patch early on and is now imo, one of our top 5 players. Just let the kids play.