Maurice Rioli - Mr Magic | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli - Mr Magic

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The club has put together a fantastic Rioli tribute video. :clap
Well worth watching.

video http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/330097/maurice+rioli+tribute/default.aspx

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Tigers of Old said:
Very harsh Streaker. Sheeds has been a vocal supporter of Maurice's achievements long before this.

I don't doubt that, and on the whole I think Sheedy has done a hughe amount for indigenous footy, particulalrly in the top end.

But why mention GWS to the media? He was there to pay his respects to a champion of the game and an icon of the Northern Territory community. Everyone else seemed to be united by that and different teams, colours were not a consideration.

But for mine Mr Spruiker just couldn't help himself, and given the circumstances, it seemed very tacky to me.

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
Saw Rioli when I was in my 20s he was an incredible tackler and amazing in traffic. Footskills were superb. His early days were his best and remember he was caught a lot as he got older and slower. Would be in my Top 20 players at Tigerland from my life!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
HK Tiger said:
Saw Rioli when I was in my 20s he was an incredible tackler and amazing in traffic. Footskills were superb. His early days were his best and remember he was caught a lot as he got older and slower. Would be in my Top 20 players at Tigerland from my life!
Early days indeed. Come 87 he was a shadow of Maurice circa 82...but so was the whole club!

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
tigertim said:
Early days indeed. Come 87 he was a shadow of Maurice circa 82...but so was the whole club!

He was never the same after the failed move to Sydney. The number 27 jumper carried more weight than the number 17.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tiger tribute to Maurice Rioli (RFC Site)

Tiger tribute to Maurice Rioli

richmondfc.com.au
8:46 PM Fri 30 Sep, 2011

A portrait of Maurice Rioli is unveiled to launch the Maurice Rioli room

rioliroom_c.jpg

Tiger tribute to Maurice Rioli
Fri, Sep 30, 11

Richmond today unveiled ‘The Maurice Rioli Room’ at its Grand Final eve luncheon held in the new Korin Gamadji Institute, as a lasting tribute to the Tiger champion of the 1980s, who passed away late last year.

Members of Maurice’s family were present as a unique portrait of the dual Jack Dyer Medallist and 1982 Norm Smith Medallist was revealed to the assembled guests, to accompany the naming of the room.

“At Richmond, we are extremely proud of our history and of those individuals, players and volunteers, who have built the Club into what it is. There’s no doubt Maurice Rioli was a very significant figure in the history of our Club, so we have a responsibility to celebrate his legacy,” said the Tigers’ CEO Brendon Gale.

“Maurice was a champion of this football club, but he was also a champion of his people.“He worked hard to Close the Gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australia and create opportunities for young Indigenous people.

“We believe this is a place that Maurice would be really proud of - a place embedded in Tigerland that is dedicated to supporting Indigenous youth.

“Naming this The Maurice Rioli Room is entirely appropriate, given his life transcended this football club and everything this Institute stands for.“On behalf of the entire Club, our members and supporters, it is with great pride that we today unveil The Maurice Rioli Room.”

Host of the function, five-time Richmond premiership hero and Club ‘Immortal’, Kevin Bartlett, described Maurice as “an extraordinary player”. “I played just the two years with Maurice - 1982 and 1983 - but when I picked the best team of Richmond players I had played with, in a book I did recently, I had no hesitation in including him in it,” Bartlett said.

“In 1982, which was his first year at Richmond, we made the Grand Final and he won our Best and Fairest.

In 1983, he lost the Brownlow Medal to Ross Glendinning by one vote and, if he had have won, he would have been the first Indigenous player to win the game’s most coveted individual award.

“Francis Bourke believes Maurice was the greatest tackler to ever play the game. His chasing and harassment of the opposition was amazing, as was his ability to zig-zag his way out of trouble.

“He was loved by all his teammates at Richmond. He was very quietly spoken, but a person of great determination.”

richo_richo man

Fortune Favours the Brave - Eat Em Alive
Nov 10, 2007
Tigers of Old said:
Fitting tribute to a tremendous footballer. Nice to see he'll be remembered for his short but unforgettable time as a Tiger.
Great work RFC.

Couldn't agree more TOO and also have likewise feelings about Maurice as one of our best ever, Rainesy was my favourite as a young teen but when Mr Magic arrived and I saw the spells he would cast over the opposition - just brilliant. I will never forget him baulk (2) Melbourne guys at the MCG and then as if he was sending telepathy to Disco to lead he darted a pinpoint pass in the pocket that hit him on the chest and we celebrate another great Tiger goal. Also, remember another time on the wing at the G not sure who we were playing might have been Fitzroy there was a contested ball with about half a dozen guys scrapping for it in a pack, but it was Mr Magic who came out with the pill after dodging and weaving his way out of trouble . Thank you so much RFC for honouring a true Richmond and football great.

haveago

Tiger Cub
May 12, 2007
As good as he was at the Tigers I saw some footage of him playing for South Freo in a grand final. What an absolute gun.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
My fav Tiger.was a privelage to watch him wind around 3 defenders and pinpoint a pass or run and kick a goal.
All class.

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006
I was 11 when maurice got the NS in 82. He was, and remains my AFL hero. I had the opportunity to tell him this at the kalgoorlie races in 1992, by which time he was 175 and about 95! He signed me an autograph on the back of a tote ticket which I lost that day, along with a weeks pay. I have had the pleasure of coaching two of his nephews the last few seasons, who certainly have that Tiwi Magic that can bring a tear to the eye.