Maurice Rioli - Mr Magic | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli - Mr Magic

ILUVDISCO

Tiger Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
Re: Just how good was Maurice Rioli?

In answer to your question, he was a genius. Top three in my favourite all time tigers, could do things on a football field that very very few would have the time to think about let alone execute.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Rioli joins NT Hall of Fame
Wed, Nov 03, 10

hallrioli_246b.jpg

Dual Richmond Jack Dyer Medallist, Maurice Rioli, was this week inducted into the AFL Northern Territory Hall of Fame as a Legend.

Rioli played 118 games for the Tigers from 1982-87, kicked 80 goals and won back-to-back Best and Fairest awards in 1982-83.

He was also named All-Australian three times, and won the Norm Smith Medal in Richmond’s losing grand final side of 1982.

Rioli was inducted as a Legend along with fellow Indigenous greats Michael Long, Darryl White, Bill Dempsey, Michael McLean and David Kantilla.

“We have had to recognize this distinct set of individuals as their names immediately spring to mind when talking NT Football,” said AFLNT Hall of Fame committee Chairman Bryan Moroney.

“Their exploits and achievements, on and off the field, have put the Territory on the map when it comes to AFL football.”

A total of 25 Indigenous players were inducted into the Hall of Fame at the function in Darwin last Saturday.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/104810/default.aspx

Unfortunately only ever saw one match involving Rioli - my first in 1986 - Richmond v North under lights at the G. And - being only 5 - I've got no memory of him, though i do remember being at the game!!! From what I've watched, including 82 GF, looked brilliant, there's a goal he kicked which looked exactly like a Cyril special - if only there was a Nephew-Uncle rule!!!!

And on Matty Knights - I feel he was our BEST player from 1990-2001. I know there was Richo - brilliant, but go back and watch the tapes - the most consistent and constructive player we had during the 90's -no right foot, fat bum, shocking set-shot, not a great mark- but his vision, disposal, and toughness (often not realised) were first class. Good work on inside-job at Essendon, just like 95 final, did another number on them! That was the plan....right?

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

Tigers of Old said:
Rioli was inducted as a Legend along with fellow Indigenous greats Michael Long, Darryl White, Bill Dempsey, Michael McLean and David Kantilla.

I didn't realise Bill Dempsey was from the NT. Can't have played there much, he played around 350 games for West Perth.

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle

damian said:
with all due respect to matty knights, he would'nt of got anywhere near the great maurice.

Maurice was agreat player surrounded by great players, Knighter was also a great player who played in our dud years, although he did win the semi against the bummers for us.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

An absolute champion in a team full of great smalls, mids and runners. I was privileged to start watching the Tigers live in 1981-1982 and saw the likes of Weightman, Rowlings, Wood, Wiley, Raines and Rioli playing together.

Rioli at his best was a gem, absolutely unstoppable and almost untouchable. He seemed to move in slow motion, almost on the spot. He'd feint to go one way and all the opposition players would move that way. He'd casually then go the other. I remember occasions where he'd be surrounded by 3-4 players, and again seemingly hardly moving he'd step between them and away he'd go. Magic hands and a great passer of the ball.

Maurice, proud to have seen you play.

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009

Maurice is the best player I've seen play in a tiger jumper whilst he was at his top.
He was all class and until he got chubbier and injured more was the VFL's best player.
Knighter was an excellent player as well - just glad I've seen them both play.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

I am not sure there is a player in the AFL today with similar evasive skills to Rioli . In todays footy would be an unbelievable clearance player .

What a lot of people forget is how tough he was as well. Great tackler for his size .

geoffryprettyboy

Tiger Legend
Apr 8, 2004

Sintiger said:
I am not sure there is a player in the AFL today with similar evasive skills to Rioli .

Cyril's close enough. Once he's fully developed and matured you'll think that Maurice is playing out there.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

geoffryprettyboy said:
Cyril's close enough. Once he's fully developed and matured you'll think that Maurice is playing out there.
Probably a reasonable call . Cyril doesn't get the ball enough for me but maybe that is because he is young , Maurice was about 23 or 24 before we saw him in Melbourne so he had some years on Cyril . The evasiveness is certainly in the genes.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Tigers great Rioli dies
Anna Whitelaw
December 26, 2010

FOOTBALL legend Maurice ''Magic'' Rioli died suddenly yesterday, aged 53, after suffering a suspected heart attack at a family barbecue in Darwin.

The former Richmond great was the first indigenous player to make his mark on Victorian football and was considered one of the trailblazers for Aboriginal footballers.

Known for his lightning reflexes and ball-handling, he was a three-time All-Australian and the 1982 Norm Smith medallist, and was named in the indigenous team of the century.

Born in the Northern Territory, Rioli began his career in Darwin in the '70s before being recruited to South Fremantle, where he won the Simpson Medal (for best player in the WAFL grand final) in 1980.

Two years later, he joined Richmond, where he became the first indigenous player - and the first from a losing side - to win the Norm Smith Medal after Carlton defeated the Tigers in the 1982 grand final.

He played 118 games for Richmond from 1982 to 1987 and was best and fairest twice, before returning to captain South Fremantle. He later became a prominent politician in the Northern Territory.

Richmond legend and teammate Dale Weightman was among those who paid tribute to Rioli last night. ''Maurice was the cream of the crop,'' he said.

''You couldn't tackle him, you couldn't touch him, but he was also a great tackler. He also did so much for Aboriginal players. He was always thinking about his people.''

Tigers CEO Brendon Gale said: ''Maurice was an enormously important figure in the game as a player, and more broadly in the leading role he played for Indigenous Australians.''

Rioli was the uncle of Hawthorn footballer Cyril Rioli and former Essendon star Dean Rioli.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-great-rioli-dies-20101225-197ko.html

galmauricerioli600x400.jpg
galrioli2600x400.jpg

galrioli382600x400.jpg
rioli300.jpg

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Richmond legend Maurice Rioli dies
Tony Sheahan From: Herald Sun December 25, 2010

Tigers great Maurice Rioli has died after sufferig a suspected heart attack. Source: PerthNow

RICHMOND great Maurice Rioli has died in Darwin at the age of 53.

The 1982 Norm Smith medallist was at a family barbecue when he collapsed and died of a suspected heart attack.

Rioli was seen as a man who blazed a path for indigenous footballers, particularly from the Northern Territory, taking his silky skills first to South Fremantle and then to Richmond where he dazzled teammates, foes and fans alike with his skills and commitment to causes he believed in.

Former teammate and Tigers legend Kevin Bartlett was shattered when told the news.

''Well, that's unbelievable. That's very sad,'' an emotional Bartlett said.''What sadness. He was one of the great players that played with the Tigers. One of the great players I played with. It has hit me hard.

''I know how his family will feel. I lost my father on Christmas day, so I can understand the depth of despair that the family would be feeling.

''He was a champion, Maurice. Anyone who played with Maurice would only class him as champion player.

''He was just one of the best players to play with the Tigers.

''He came to the club, won best and fairests, nearly won the Brownlow Medal and he was just one of those marvellous indigenous players that took the football world by storm. He was just a great player.

''He was a delightful personality. A very softly spoken person. I can't remember a better tackler than Maurice Rioli.''

Rioli's former South Fremantle teammate Brad Hardie was shocked at the sudden passing of his mate.

''They coin the phrase champion far too loosely these days and he was certainly it,'' Hardie said.

''The Original Mr. Magic should be emblazoned on his tombstone.''

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale said: "Maurice was an enormously important figure in the game as a player, and more broadly in the leading role he played for indigenous Australians.

"He will be remembered as one of the greatest players in the Tigers' proud history."

Neil Randall, a 1980 South Fremantle premiership teammate, said last night: ''He was the best footballer I've ever played with simple as that.
''They reckon when God came to play, Maurice had to move to the wing.

He was a genuinely lovely fella and you would hate to get into a boxing ring with him.

''He had the quickest reflexes you will ever see in the game. He went on to win some great achievements and he's a big loss.

''An absolute genius of a bloke and a sad miss for all walks of life.''

When Rioli crossed the Nullarbor in 1982 at the age of 24, he arrived in a hurry.

The skilful midfielder-forward was given the No.17 jumper at Richmond, worn with distinction by ''Captain Blood'' Jack Dyer, and took the team back to premiership contention while exciting the legion of Tiger fans.

Unfortunately the team fell at the final hurdle in his first season, going down by 18 points to Carlton in the Grand Final, though Rioli became the first player to win the Norm Smith Medal despite playing in a losing side.

He went on to play 118 games and kicked 80 goals in the black and yellow.

He also took his silky skills on to the international stage, playing a starring role in the first series against the Irish in 1984.

One honour he rated highly was his selection in the centre for the Indigenous Team of the Century, with his cousin Michael Long beside him on one wing.

Though he came to prominence for his exploits at Richmond and South Fremantle, the softly spoken Rioli is first and foremost seen as a product of the Northern Territory to where he returned when he finished playing.

Seen as a trailblazer for players from the Territory, he came from the famous footballing nursery of St Marys, also the starting point for a string of players who would go on to VFL/AFL careers including Long, Ronnie Burns, Scott Chisholm, Xavier Clarke and Raphael Clarke, Peter Burgoyne, Cyril Rioli and Austin Wonaeamirri.

His first move from Darwin was to Perth where, as an 18-year-old, he signed on for South Fremantle under coach Mal Brown.

At 30, Rioli called time on his VFL career, returning to Perth where he captained South Fremantle, doubling up as captain-coach of Waratahs in Darwin in the summer.

He won All-Australian honours for a third time after the 1988 Bicentennial Carnival. In 1990, he retired from the WAFL, playing on in Darwin until 1991.

In 1993, he presented the Norm Smith Medal at the Grand Final to Long.

After his illustrious footballing career, Rioli went into the Northern Territory parliament, representing Arafura from 1992-2001.

More recently he was a community services manager for the Tiwi Islands where he was again involved in football.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/richmond-legend-maurice-rioli-dies-at-christmas-barbecue/story-e6frf9if-1225976175871

mauricelarge.jpg
mauriceinaction.jpg
181416-maurice-rioli.jpg

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Tributes flowing for 'genius' Rioli
December 27, 2010

Fans mourn the death of a gentle champion, writes Jon Pierik.

A GENIUS with a football in his hands. The best tackler of the past 30 years. A trailblazer and a gentleman.

As word spread yesterday of the death of Maurice Rioli, the Richmond Football Club , his home between 1982-87, remembered a champion midfielder who wowed supporters with his sublime skills, modest nature and willingness to improve life for his indigenous brethren.

Rioli, 53, died on Christmas Day. He collapsed at a family barbecue in Darwin after a suspected heart attack.

''It was a real shock, given his age,'' Brian Taylor, the former full-forward who enjoyed many a pristine pass from Rioli, said last night.

Rioli, one of eight footballing brothers, was born on Melville Island in the Northern Territory on September 1, 1957. He started his career with NTFL heavyweight St Marys before linking with his brother Sebastian at WAFL side South Fremantle in the 1970s. He flourished there - former Richmond enforcer Mal Brown was coach at the time - and was pursued by the Tigers. In those days Rioli was also a promising boxer in welterweight and middleweight divisions who some thought good enough to represent his country. However, football won the day, and so too soon would the Tigers.

After extensive negotiations, the then 24-year-old would be lured to Victoria on a fat contract and handed Jack Dyer's famous No. 17 in time for the 1982 season. ''I was a South Fremantle supporter before Maurice left WA to go to Richmond. I saw him play there as well,'' Taylor said. ''He was absolutely electrifying, him and Benny Vergona and Stephen Michael.

''Maurice had the guts to break away from that and take indigenous football to the best competition in Australia. The indigenous guys felt very comfortable in Perth. It was like home to them. Coming to Victoria and a suburban lifestyle was always going to be difficult. He handled it with aplomb.''

His impact was immediate. He claimed successive best-and-fairest awards in 1982-83. In '82, he was the first indigenous Norm Smith medallist and first to claim the award in a losing grand final side when the Tigers were over-run by Carlton.

Rioli was the runner-up in the Brownlow in 1983 and would eventually be named in the AFL's Indigenous Team of the Century. Tigers great Francis Bourke, who coached Rioli in his first two seasons, said his sublime skills on the left side of his body - he rarely, if ever, kicked with his right foot - often meant his overall toughness was overlooked. ''He had a gentle nature about him that belied a steely, tough interior. He was quietly spoken but with a sly sense of humour,'' Bourke said.

Rioli would play 118 games for the Tigers, kicking 80 goals, and was a three-time All Australian.

''He was just one of the greatest natural talents I have ever seen. He was the best tackler in his day and is still the best tackler I have ever seen,'' Taylor said. Taylor had four years alongside Rioli before the robust goalkicker transferred to Collingwood. ''There was nothing better than being at full-forward and leading to Maurice Rioli,'' said Taylor, who topped the Tigers' goal-kicking in 1982 (71). ''There are only a few players in your time that you can lead to with great certainty, you knew they could put the ball where it needed to be put. He was one of only probably two, the other being Mick McGuane, that could get that job done.''

Former midfield mate Geoff Raines said it was a pleasure to play alongside Rioli in '82 but not so much when he crossed to Victoria Park as an opponent.

''He was a great player. He just had magical skills, evasive skills. His side-step and his movement was just brilliant,'' he said.

While sashaying around opponents appeared easy, dealing with racist vitriol from opponents and the crowd was a challenge. It wouldn't be until the mid-1990s before the AFL finally took action on this scourge.

The VFL was a tough, hard place through the 1980s and Rioli, the brother-in-law of Essendon champion Michael Long, wasn't afraid to speak about the racial taunts he faced. ''He had a lot to do with breaking down those early barriers,'' Taylor said.

Rioli stunned the Tigers in the summer of 1985 when he signed with Sydney as part of Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's cashed-up shopping spree but this move would be quashed by salary-cap restrictions. He was then linked with a move to Essendon but returned to Punt Road midway through the '86 season.

He would remain there for another 18 months before finishing his playing career in Fremantle. Rioli returned to Darwin and became the state member for Arafura in 1992 until his retirement from parliament in 2001.

The Rioli name, conjuring images of silken skills, has remained synonymous with the AFL through his nephews Dean Rioli (Essendon) and Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn).

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, a former North Melbourne wingman, also paid tribute. ''He was the trailblazer for footballers from the Northern Territory in making their mark in the VFL and the AFL.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tributes-flowing-for-genius-rioli-20101226-197x1.html

geoffryprettyboy

Tiger Legend
Apr 8, 2004
Great effort on the thread Oldie.

Just looking at Maurice in the photos makes me forget about our 3 decades of going no where.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Richmond legend Maurice Rioli farewelled at service in Darwin

AAP From: AAP January 07, 2011 3:57PM

718275-maurice-rioli-funeral.jpg

Richmond legend Maurice Rioli is farewelled at a state funeral in Darwin. Picture: Brad Fleet Source: Northern Territory News

FOOTBALL great Maurice Rioli was remembered today as a man who paved the way for indigenous players in the AFL.

Mourners packed Darwin's St Mary's Cathedral today to farewell the Tigers legend and ex-Territory MP who died after collapsing at a family barbecue in Darwin on Christmas Day after suffering an apparent heart attack.

A contingent of Tiwi Islanders led the hearse into the cathedral with a procession of traditional dance.

Hundreds of people, including high profile footballing identities, gathered for the funeral to say goodbye to a man who "gave everything to the game".

Former Tiger Kevin Sheedy, accompanied by former Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams, said Rioli was very important in the establishment of nearly 100 indigenous players in the AFL.

He said Rioli, winning the Norm Smith Medal in the 1982 grand final losing Richmond side, showed Aborigines they too could play in the big league.

"We haven't even got our club up and running yet but we're here to show our appreciation to the people of Darwin and the Tiwi Islands for what they've done for the game," he told journalists outside the Smith Street church.

"We wouldn't have missed it."

Current Richmond captain Chris Newman said Rioli was one of the club legends.

"I wear No.17, he wore No.17, so I thought I'd come out of respect.

"He was pretty much a magician out on the field.

"There's a few of us here and it's a really good turnout."

Rioli is expected to be buried in a traditional ceremony on Melville Island on Monday.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-legend-maurice-rioli-farewelled-at-service-in-darwin/story-e6frf9jf-1225983720070?from=public_rss

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said.
Rest in Peace Maurice. A true champion of the game and one of my favourite ever footballers.