May 1997 Tigers v. Dees | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

May 1997 Tigers v. Dees

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Just watched the game as posted above.
Gee, those games were rough and ready in those far off days.
No quarter given.
We lost of course with Lack of kicking skills.
Robert Walls was the coach then and he did not last long.
What a shame that David Bourke, he with muppet arms, did not make the grade.
He was too skinny and light and really did not have the elite skills of his father.
I was even at that game and must admit it was footy excitement with large crowds and a wonderful atmosphere with some good footy.
How the game has changed and not always for the better.
Was impressed with Broderick, who was a delightful kick and was built like a bull.
Anyway, my footy for the Xmas period.

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Fast forward 20 years Gray and watch the corresponding game against the Dees in 2017. World of difference. Came back from 20 points down, and in some ways the game kick started our Premiership charge. That game gave us a lot of belief.

Reactions: 2 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
No quarter given.
He was too skinny and light and really did not have the elite skills of his father.
I was even at that game and must admit it was footy excitement with large crowds and a wonderful atmosphere with some good footy.
Was impressed with Broderick, who was a delightful kick and was built like a bull.
A different game when St Francis played.

A dour Tiger who was never beaten even if he was second to the contest. A fair player who would not yield in the face of a fight but who maintained the standard of an exemplar.

Don’t discredit David, however.

He also turned up and gave his all for the Tigers.

Some are blessed and some of them are more blessed.

And then there’s St Francis.

Bourke Barrot & Clay

No centreline has matched it.

And Tommy says so!

And a couple of those blokes made great defenders.

Reactions: 5 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
A different game when St Francis played.

A dour Tiger who was never beaten even if he was second to the contest. A fair player who would not yield in the face of a fight but who maintained the standard of an exemplar.

Don’t discredit David, however.

He also turned up and gave his all for the Tigers.

Some are blessed and some of them are more blessed.

And then there’s St Francis.

Bourke Barrot & Clay

No centreline has matched it.

And Tommy says so!

And a couple of those blokes made great defenders.

Both ended up being very good full backs.
I remember Clay launching numerous prodigious punts and torps out of the goal square when kicking back in after a point had been scored.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Both ended up being very good full backs.
I remember Clay launching numerous prodigious punts and torps out of the goal square when kicking back in after a point had been scored.

He'd kick it to the wing, amazing, I remember watching him kick out while sitting behind the goals at the MCG.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
No quarter given.
I remember David had a recurring shoulder dislocation and maybe some other injuries as well. If he was trying to play like his dad with the same vigour and disregard for his own safety then it was doomed to fail since he was too skinny. Perhaps he had a late growth spurt? He almost needed a couple of years in the gym to get his body right before launching his AFL career in the firsts. I'm sure he would have been managed differently if he was recruited today.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
I remember David had a recurring shoulder dislocation and maybe some other injuries as well. If he was trying to play like his dad with the same vigour and disregard for his own safety then it was doomed to fail since he was too skinny. Perhaps he had a late growth spurt? He almost needed a couple of years in the gym to get his body right before launching his AFL career in the firsts. I'm sure he would have been managed differently if he was recruited today.
In the middle of watching the Dream Time game of this year.
I had forgotten how biased the commentary was in favour of guess who?
Also forgotten how many throws the Bombers were allowed to get away with.
Will watch the second half later. Pretty sure we won this game.
Makes one wonder what the so called commentators will do to the call of our games this coming year.
And, will we once again be at the mercy of the umpires, finishing with a high loss differential?